Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

A Curious Wondering. (Not sure of this goes here.)

Started by LostWriter, July 18, 2014, 08:26:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostWriter

I'm still working everything out in my head about me (which I think will always be an ongoing battle) but ever since I have taken steps to become the female inside of me, I've notice that I act a bit more manly, for lack of a better word. More like the perceived notions of a guy, I guess would be a better way to say it.

Now, I know that this is probably the stereotypical ideas of men and women playing in my head, but it still feels a bit off to me.

An expample of this is yesterday when my friend and I were talking I brought up how generally men are more turned on by visuals and women are turned on more by other sides of the coin be it mental or whatnot. (Not everyone, I know, but generally.) When I mentioned the men part I said "we" he is a straight guy and I'm guy working to be a girl. He knows that I'm trying to change my downstairs mixup, yet when I said "we" I just didn't feel right.

I guess this is more of a question of how I refer to myself now. I still say "guy" to people just because I look more that way and it's easier. But some people know me better and it's a toss up at those times.

Something else I've noticed is that I'm spreading my legs more when I sit. Again, this is probably just my mind doing the stereotypical thoughts of "girls don't sit that way."

And I know I'm probably over reacting to something minuscule, but I'm slightly worried about it. Why do I feel like I'm acting more guy after years of debating wether I should be true to the female inside?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I'm new here and still learning my way around. Same goes for life too, I guess. :P
  •  

alabamagirl

I'm not sure things like this really mean anything at all. I've always sat with my legs at least somewhat apart. Plenty of cis girls do that, too. At least the ones who aren't wearing dresses or skirts. Which would be every cis girl I know, lol. Personally, it's just uncomfortable to sit with my legs together because I still have the dangly bits in between.

I really don't think referring to yourself as a guy so early in your transition/before your transition is unusual at all. I feel the same way. I still look completely male, so I know that's how people see me. Once I've made significant physical changes and am presenting female, that's when I'll finally ask people to switch to female pronouns and such.
  •  

LostWriter

That makes me feel better. Thanks. Yeah, right now I'm just trying to lose weight and all the basic basic stuff. :3
  •  

Ms Grace

Best not to over think things too much, there will always be exceptions.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

violethaze

I think, when we first start out, it's common to become hyper-aware of our behaviour and mannerisms and all the little ways in which our socialization or habits or genetics can be against us. That's when observing cis people of our gender who exhibit "non traditional" mannerisms or appearance can be helpful. Instead of focusing on all the things that are different about us, look for reflections in the world around us that suggest we don't stand out all that much - and surprisingly, there are lots.

Language is habitual, it takes time for us to change our own pronouns... just like it takes time for those around us!
  •  

Felix

My experience is coming from a different category, but I've noticed that a lot of people seem to relax after coming out or taking other steps to be who they are. If you've been trying to live up to an identity that wasn't you, you might have been following rules and trying to act right, and once you let go of expectations somewhat it's probably natural to have some behaviors come up that don't fit rigid gender definitions.

I know I have some girliness that I suppressed a ton before transition, because I didn't want to be seen as weak. Now that I have a low voice and a name I like and all that, I can be nice and wear pajamas with hearts on them or whatever without it threatening my social identity.

everybody's house is haunted
  •  

LostWriter

Wow, that's a lot more responses than I was expecting. (Thank you!)

It's nothing major, so I have to agree that it's probably just the hyper awareness of things. I tend to over think a lot of things and that's an issue I need to work on, but I'm in no rush. I'm still trying to find the full me. :3

Seriously, thank you for all the responses.
  •  

gennee

My spouse once told me that I cross my legs like a woman. I catch myself opening my legs like a man. Old habits die hard. My spouse showed me how to wear pleated skirts, carry a purse and walk with good posture. I also learned some where that when women smile at me, smile back. I don't over think them. Just keep doing them. It's been an interesting lesson too. 

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Taka

guys cross their legs where i'm from. it's unthinkable for a girl to cross her legs in a traditional costume. particularly if it's winter wear, crossing legs would wear it down in no time.

mannerism is mostly learned habit. some things will feel more natural or completely weird, depending on personal preferences. it took me a long time to learn how to sit with my legs crossed. it felt incredibly uncomfortable even for a little girl who was trying to grow up into a lady. but it was either that or sitting with my legs apart, which was an even worse thing for a young lady to do. stupid parents in my stupid childhood.

why sit in a comfortable way? because it's comfortable. not because you're this or that gender. people have different bodies, what's comfortable with vary a lot.
  •  

LostWriter

Gennee: Thanks for sharing the lessons. (Sorry for such a late response.)

Taka: If you don't mind me asking, where are you from? And I don't think I'll ever be able to cross my legs for long. It feels like my blood gets cut off. :P

I'm still amazed at people giving such good replies to this.
  •  

Taka

i'm from somewhere in the north of norway, a place inhabited by more saami than norwegians.
  •  

nayuki

I think I kind of understand what your getting at.  Like I would notice things I did or didn't do, and would say "that is or isn't very famine" or stuff like that.  Over time those thoughts just kind of left me and I just got set on being my self.  and it got to the point that people would see me as very famine even being in guy mode or what ever.  I Do agree  with  Ms Grace best not to over think it though ^.^

•  

LostWriter

The not over thinking it too much is doing the best for me. Just have to keep smiling.
  •  

androgynouspainter26

LostWriter,

If you did want to think about the subject, here are some points to dwell on: Most, although not all of the norms, standards, and behaviors traditionally associated with gender are not innate.  They are the product of our culture, upbringing, and the conditioning that starts on the day we are born, and placed into either a blue or pink bassinet on account of a relatively arbitrary physical trait-our assigned sex.  There are some traits that are most certainly at least partially biological-increased aggression and muscular growth in males, for example, is caused by the effects of testosterone.  But nowhere in our genes is there a code that says "dresses=XX and Pants=XY", or that the way you sit has anything to do with gender, or what turns you on-visuals or words.  All of these things are the result of a culture that places people into one of two categories.  My advice?  Accept that you are going to transcend some of these arbitrary standards, and take pride in it.  Not everyone out there consciously does the same.  You're a girl.  it doesn't really matter how you sit or even what you look like.  iIf you say you are female and feel yourself to be female-you are.  It's your identity and you get to play by your own rules, not society's.  It's up to you to decide what being female means, and how you want to express that identity.  Some people don't disrupt gender norms even a little bit-and that's their choice to make.  Some people like myself really love disrupting the system.  That doesn't make me any more or less of what I identify as.  And if you want to be someone who bends those norms, that's perfectly ok.  It doesn't mean you aren't transgender, it just means you don't buy into this idiotic system we have in place.  And that liberation is something to be celebrated.

Best,
Sasha
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •