Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

ok time to find another i guess...

Started by harbour, December 11, 2005, 03:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harbour

so for the last three weeks ive been seeing this therapist who is very friendly, open minded and has made me feel better about myself, the thing is she has no experience with tg issues, and i mostly went to see her to talk about doubts, its the doubts that hurt the worst. so i mentioned to her that i was worried about hormone therapy because i was worried wont like it, her response was something like "well you dont like your body now, if you dont like your body after you wont really lost anything!"

it sounds like dangerous talk to me, and the other day i ended up going to the doctors where i was put on fluoxine and refered to local mental health services (again). so im thinking ill stop seeing this therapist
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hey there harbour,
"well you dont like your body now, if you dont like your body after you wont really lost anything!"

That was a strange thing to say.  She obviously doesn't understand the implications and consequences of HRT.  Did she even bother doing any research into tg issues, I would think that any therapist would do that.  Yes I would have to agree, time to move on...

Steph
  •  

harbour

well thats the thing i would love to start HRT but i keep having these freak outs over it all which is partly why im on the medication i  guess. its just been hammered into me "be careful if you mess this up you mess your life up" so im not ready and ill give it more time even though id love to start

still i  got a call from the mental health centre and i have to go in for an assessment type thing next monday, so try again
  •  

Shelley

Hey Harbour,

It strikes me that time is on your side and if your not ready maybe waiting till you are is the best way to go.

Just my thoughts.

Shelley
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: melissa_girl on December 11, 2005, 11:19:14 PM
True that HRT is also a diagnostic tool just as RLT is and once you start, you can stop within the first 3 months and the effects won't be permanent.

Hello Melissa.

Just to clarify things a little...

We have to remember that HRT will effect everyone differently, and while generally speaking development starts approximately 3 months in, other effects will be taking place, so it is very important for each individual to be doing this with their doctor.   The other thing is that HRT is not a diagnostic tool, but ...

QuoteHormone replacement therapy (HRT) for transgendered and transsexual people replaces the hormones naturally occurring in their bodies with those of the other sex. Its purpose is to cause the development of the secondary sexual characteristics of the desired gender. It can not undo the changes produced by the first natural occurring puberty of transgendered people, this is done by sexual reassignment surgery and for transwomen by epilation.

The effects that HRT causes are monitored and these can be used to determine if they are having the desired effect or not. :)

Steph
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: melissa_girl on December 12, 2005, 11:18:15 AM
While  I agree that the primary purpose of HRT is to make changes and that beforehand you should be 100% sure you want to do it.  It has a secondary purpose as a diagnostic tool.  If somebody starts seeing changes and realizes these are going to be permanent and this isn't what they really want, then they can choose to back out before the changes are permanent.

The problem is that HRT starts affecting the body before before you "start seeing changes".  It also depends on the mix of drugs that comprise an individuals HRT including the strength  and the dosage.  That is why many doctors follow the recomendations of the SOC where it advises that:

Quote from: WikiEligibility Criteria.
The administration of hormones is not to be lightly undertaken because of their medical and social risks. Three criteria exist.

1. Age 18 years;
2. Demonstrable knowledge of what hormones medically can and cannot do and their social benefits and risks;
3. Either:
         - a documented real-life experience of at least three months prior to the administration of hormones; or
         - a period of psychotherapy of a duration specified by the mental health professional after the initial evaluation (usually a minimum of three months).

I understood what you were saying Hon,  :) I was just making sure that you understood what HRT is and isn't.  It should never be used to determine if a person should continue with transition or not and no reputable doctor would use it that way.  By the time a person see's changes that cause them to change their mind, it's probably too late.

Chat later,

Steph
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Not necesarily, everyone is different  :)

I don't want to hijack this thread, so to keep things on topic I'll PM you later. :)

Steph.
  •