Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Final Month Before Starting HRT

Started by 2fish, September 25, 2014, 01:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2fish

So I had my last session with my therapist on Monday. It went well, we basically finished going over my life story. Now all she has to do is make my letter and type up my assessment. I'm not really sure what the assessment is for and never asked but totally cool. I get a letter for HRT and an Assessment to have for I have no idea. lol Anyways, I won't get my letter until next month so basically I've got to wait 26 days for it...yeah, I counted. I was a little bummed out but then I began to think...I have come out at work, but I haven't asked people to switch over pronouns yet. I haven't come out to my parents, but I will a few days before I get my letter. I feel ready to start the name change process. I've already made my HRT Appointment for the day after I get my letter. This month, if I really think about it, could be a good final transition between closing off the "female life" to finally opening up the "male life". Now that I think about it, I've got a lot of work to do. :)

A few notes:
*Work Life: I've already told my boss and coworkers. We talked about all the changes that are going to happen, didn't press to change pronouns yet since we started to not use pronouns at all when referring to me. Why? Basically, I told my workmates that if a customer was to gender me male, to just "go with it". I wanted my workmates to let the customer decide what "gender" I will be. Mind you, I pass as male 100% of the time. I'm FTM. So, this was a good thing. This allowed my workmates to see that, even though they know me as female biologically, the world sees me as male. I think this was a really good way to start off the transition. If you are comfortable will this approach, I recommend it.
*Home Life: My therapist and I decided it would be best if I did not tell my parents until I was about to get my letter or until 1-2 months on T. I do live with them and I do have to move out. I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford a place of my own yet, so if I really have to hid the fact that I am on T for a month or two I will do my best just so that I have a little extra funds. Maybe I'll get to spend one last Christmas with my family (I don't think I'll get disowned, but just in case) I will have one last Christmas memory with them.
*Name Change: I have already picked out a name. I feel ready to start that process. I work 3rd shift so I have my days open to do this without a problem.
*My therapist said to go ahead and make my HRT appointment for the day after I get my letter. I did and got the first appointment of the day. :)

How did you all make that "final month" possible?
http://www.gender158.com (A Trans-Masculine Resource Website)
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Quote from: 2fish on September 25, 2014, 01:27:58 AM
How did you all make that "final month" possible?
I waited 40 years for HRT so 30 days was nothing.  :)
  •  

Blue Senpai

Well this my final month before starting HRT, at least it has to be the next step considering I has bloodwork done back in July. Been waiting 3 months since July for this appointment and I went through informed consent. 2 weeks remain until then and I've been biding my time with coming out to friends, family and transitioned emotionally and mentally. Now I'm just waiting for my physical transition to start and what's helping me retain my sanity is having a YouTube channel while watching other people's transition videos from the beginning like Benton and Sklyar Kergil.
  •  

Giselle.Marie

2Fish:

I can't speak from experience, because I'm in exactly the same boat you are. I'm a month today away from starting HRT. That said, from the time I got my letter and referral, I've now been waiting for about 5 months, so these last 30 days really seem like the home stretch for me now.

I agree with Marcellow, I've been spending the time coming out to more and more friends and family, the key people at my workplace know what's coming now as well, and just sort starting and preparing for the emotional/mental transition. I've also spent the time trying to get rid of some of the bad habits in my life, and develop some new ones that I've always wanted in my life with the goal of really being able to fully embrace a great new start.

To me, the key in dealing with the struggle of the waiting, and I know there's so much more waiting to go before everything is all said and done, has been to push myself to stay really focused on the things I can do and I have active control over, which has helped make it easier to be graceful about the waiting for things that I don't... All way more simply said than done, I know, and I won't say I've stayed perfectly to my plan, but, like everything, it does get easier with practice.

I hope that helps some.

Giselle Marie

•  

Illuminess

This was my final month (I hope) as I'm supposed to be seeing a doctor Nov. 17th for informed consent. That visit will most likely just be to get a referral to an endocrinologist, though. I really hope I won't have to wait another month for that appointment. I wanted to get this started before 2015; just as a personal goal to see if I can get this rolling before the end of the year. Plus, I wanted to be at least a year on HRT so that I'll be ready to attend next year's Witches' Ball in Galveston, Tx.
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •