Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Police Stops Me While Trying To Find The Court House

Started by 2fish, September 26, 2014, 11:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2fish

I promise, this is not a scary story.  ;)

Yesterday, I went downtown to purchase a name change packet from the courthouse.
I was using my GPS to find the building since I don't go downtown often.
As I'm walking and looking lost a police officer stops me.
He asked me if I need help.
Yes, I told him.
I told him which courthouse building I was trying to find.
Apparently there are like 10 different buildings that are "courthouses". lol
So, I went up to him and told him that I needed to find X building.
He asked my why I needed to go there. (He was very polite and very friendly. There are police officers stationed at every corner to help guide people around).
I told him that I was getting my name changed.
He said, really, Why?
I was like, because I need to.
He said, Okay, and started to walk me to the building.
He was very curious and asked nicely about why I wanted to change my name.
I took a huge leap and was like, my female name no longer suits me. I'm a female to male transgender.
He looked at me with this shocked look.
He said, wow, I would have never guessed. And that I did a "great job". I naturally have a boyish face.
I laughed and took it as a compliment and said thank you.
He said, you know, I've never met someone like you before.
I said yeah, sometimes "we fit in so well" and that you wouldn't even be able to tell.
He was impressed.
I told him that I was finally getting my name changed.
He asked me how long does it take because he was under the impression that it would take two years to be allowed to do anything.
I told him that it's different for everyone but that I hat been presenting as male since I was 16.
I told him that my therapist gave me the okay to begin treatment and that it took only 3 months.
We finally got to the courthouse and wished me luck.
It was a pretty cool experience.

Thank you mister :police: man! You were very helpful!
http://www.gender158.com (A Trans-Masculine Resource Website)
  •  

Bombadil

I was so worried I was going to read something awful but that was a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing. You were brave and it turned out so well.

•  

ZoeWillCode

Great story! Things are changing, even if it's slow. It's great to hear positive stories, because it's too easy to focus on all of the negative things we encounter and see in the news.

Thanks for sharing! :)
  •  

Mark3

Yes awesome experience.!
We have police like that at our court building too, all seem very nice and "people friendly".

Its nice to hear a good story like that.!
Congrats on the name change too!!
"The soul is beyond male and female as it is beyond life and death."
  •  

Jess42

Talk about a positive experience. So he never met anyone transgender before so now hopefully we're not just mythical people to him anymore but rather really normal people. Way to go by being so positive and nice right back to him.
  •  

makipu

I think that the police was annoying asking you personal questions like that. I wouldn't even want their help.
I am male because I say so and nothing more.
I don't have to look or act like one therefore.
  •  

Jen682

Can't anyone get their name changed at any time for any reason to any name?  I mean, you don't need counseling or SRS to change your name, do you?  Or did you have your sex changed at the same time?

Jen
  •  

tgchar21

Quote from: Jen682 on September 27, 2014, 03:42:08 PM
Can't anyone get their name changed at any time for any reason to any name?  I mean, you don't need counseling or SRS to change your name, do you?  Or did you have your sex changed at the same time?

Jen

In the U.S., medical treatment is not a prerequisite for the name change (as I mentioned in a recent post any judge that tries and says you cannot change your name because it's typically used for the opposite gender is paving the way for a precedent that can affect anyone with a baby to name). (If you are seeking a court order to change your gender marker that of course is a different story.) With one exception that I'm aware of (North Carolina, which allows only ONE adult non-marriage-related name change in your lifetime other than to restore a former name) there is not an official limit on how many times you can change it, but seeking multiple name changes in a short timespan is likely to raise eyebrows that you may be doing something fraudulent.
  •  

2fish

Quote from: Jen682 on September 27, 2014, 03:42:08 PM

Jenwo

Yes, anyone can change their name at any time. For me, the right time was after a few sessions in therapy and knowing that I was going to be on t in about a month. It would work out perfectly for me.  ;D
  •  

2fish

Quote from: makipu on September 27, 2014, 03:32:00 PM
I think that the police was annoying asking you personal questions like that. I wouldn't even want their help.

The officer was really nice and genuinely curious. I don't mind educating others in trans* subjects. Who knows, maybe one day he'll help some trans* person that no one else would want to help. I'm all for making the world a better place.  :D
  •  

blink

You did a great thing responding to the situation the way you did. There's one more person in the world with reason to understand we're just regular folks.
It's cool that the officer was helpful and polite too.
  •  

TinaVane

C'est Si Bon
  •  

Jaded Jade

What a lovely story, I was worried it would not be from the title.

It is nice to see signs of positive change and good people.  :)

- JJ
- JJ
  •