Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Is Thelema A Religion Or Not?

Started by Illuminess, October 03, 2014, 07:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Illuminess

"In short, we may refrain from calling Thelema a religion because it associates it with superstition, tyranny, and oppression which Thelema is firmly against in every way, being the Law of Liberty. Our Law is simultaneously more simple and more nuanced than a belief in a Judeo-Christian-Islamic Daddy-in-the-sky God. Keep in mind, though, that this implies that calling Thelema a religion may cause misunderstanding and mischief, but it does not imply that the designation is inaccurate in some fundamental way."

http://iao131.com/2013/06/05/is-thelema-a-religion-or-not/

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Love is the law; love under Will.
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •  

Illuminess

:) I've posted a few things on Thelema. We seem to be few and far between in our particular universe. Glad to see another sister lurking about. 93s!

•  

Newgirl Dani

Quote from: sororcaeli on October 13, 2014, 08:27:10 AM
:) I've posted a few things on Thelema. We seem to be few and far between in our particular universe. Glad to see another sister lurking about. 93s!

This response from sororcaeli is to a post of mine that I deleted, the content of which was to say that I had noticed this thread and was glad to see it.

93, 93/93

Dani
  •  

PinkCloud

Thelema does seem to have all the hallmarks of a religion, or at least a dogma to me: organized thoughts formed into some definitive and authoritative system containing laws, beliefs, claims and intolerance for other belief systems. Many seem to call themselves thelemites, indicating being a follower of the Thelema belief system.  ;)
  •  

Illuminess

Quote from: PinkCloud on December 08, 2014, 09:36:46 AM
Thelema does seem to have all the hallmarks of a religion, or at least a dogma to me: organized thoughts formed into some definitive and authoritative system containing laws, beliefs, claims and intolerance for other belief systems. Many seem to call themselves thelemites, indicating being a follower of the Thelema belief system.  ;)

The great thing about Thelema, though, is that no one is expected to perceive, believe and apply any one particular ideal in regards to the holy agents, gods and goddesses. You can choose to integrate them anthropomorphically, as mere mental avatars, or even consider them all as elements of one's subconscious. The only real "law" in Thelema is Love, and that Love represents not only one's self-respect and divinity, but that of others, also.

"Keep pure your highest ideal; strive ever toward it without allowing aught to stop you or turn you aside, even as a star sweeps upon its incalculable and infinite course of glory, and all is Love. The Law of your being becomes Light, Life, Love and Liberty. All is peace, all is harmony and beauty, all is joy."
— Aleister Crowley, The Law of Liberty

"Take this carefully; it seems to imply a theory that if every man and every woman did his and her will — the true will — there would be no clashing. "Every man and every woman is a star," and each star moves in an appointed path without interference. There is plenty of room for all; it is only disorder that creates confusion." — Commentary to Liber AL vel Legis 1:42–44

•