Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Best Transgender books you've read or would recommend reading

Started by BreezyB, October 03, 2014, 10:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vincent Johnson

I think this book would count that I have read.

It is called "This Book is Gay," by James Dawson. It talks about the LGBT+ community as a whole. The book has sections that talk about stereotypes, discrimination, coming out, what to ask yourself if you are questioning, etc.

I personally enjoyed this book and I would recommend it to everyone! Even my mother who is a cisgendered straight woman found this book to be very educational and interesting.

The book is even funny! The book includes illustrations with amusing captions and sometimes just the way the author words things is absolutely hilarious!

Not sure for people outside the United States, but I found my copy of the book at a local Barnes and Noble. I think you can find a digital e-book but I'm not totally sure.
"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers, any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."

#LheaStrong
  •  

Arch

I tried to read Mock's book. I had trouble with her style--she's a journalist, right?--but the cringe-inducing similes were what did me in. By a few pages in, I was completely turned off by them. Did nobody edit the book?

On the FTM side, I did enjoy Green's Becoming a Visible Man. I think it's quite good. And, although it has many flaws, I read Stone Butch Blues a bunch at one point in my life because it was the only transmale-oriented novel I had encountered at that point. I'd seen a biography or two, but no novels.

I tried to read a book for youngsters--Luna, I think--but was completely turned off when I discovered that the narrator is a sibling rather than the trans character. I had similar issues with the film The Danish Girl, actually--too much of the movie was about the wife character and not about Lili Elbe herself. And we never really got into Elbe's head. Too much of the film focused on the externals. So the movie looks pretty but is, to my mind, superficial.

I haven't been able to get into anything Kate Bornstein has written. I didn't care for Valerio's The Testosterone Files, either; I'm surprised at the high reviews it has received.

I guess I'm just hard to please.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Laurie K

The ball is now rolling....I hope it doesnt run me 0ver
  •  

Lily Rose

this thread has been bookmarked. please keep the titles and authors coming.

my one and only (so far) favorite was recently suggested to me "she's not there- a life in two genders" by jennifer finney boylan. the paragraph most relatable for me is "girl planet".
"I love you!"
– Lily Anne

"You must unlearn what you have learned."
– Yoda

"The road to success is always under construction."
– Lily Tomlin

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent."
– Victor Hugo :icon_headfones:
  •  

SophieD

---> How Sex Changed: A History of Transsexuality in the United States, by Joanne Meyerowitz

I've read this twice through, and find it both informative and inspiring.  It's a history (duh!).

---> The Riddle of Gender: Science, Activism, and Transgender Rights by Deborah Rudacille

On my second go-round for this one as well.  This is about the "why" of the transgender phenomenon.

---> Middlesex: A Novel by Jeffrey Eugenides

A brilliantly written story of the coming of age of an intersexed boy.  Great novel - won the Pulitzer.

(Thanks to those who have posted - great thread!)
  •  

Rachel_Christina

If I was your Girl  by Meridith Russo.

I never read, but after reading a few pages I was hooked. i adored this book.
Makes me wanna read some more.

If you haven't, definitely read it

•  

Ella2Marques

Has anybody read the book  "I was born a boy, from Venus" ?
I am a transgender woman, I have been this way all my life. I was filled with guilt at a very young age, a victim of a society that did not understand what it means to be free and yourself. I tried to adapt and flee from my real self by being a workaholic, eating, drinking and doing all in extremes.
Do we have to do the same now to transgender kids? Do they have to suffer all their lives? What about giving them a chance to live like normal people and be happy?
Help to protect transgender kids from bullies, transphobia and hate. Give them a chance.
Ella Marques
  •  

Janes Groove

Transgender History Susan Stryker
WPATH SOC
The Transexual Phenomenon Harry Benjamin
A Queer and Pleasant Danger Kate Bornstein
I Will Fear No Evil Robert A. Heinlein
  •  

TheOtherLucas

I'm a huge fan of Beautiful Music for Ugly Children, by Kirstin Cronn-Mills. It's a nice coming of age story about a transboy who just starting to socially transition the summer after high school while focusing on his goal of being a radio dj.
  •  

Peep

This might be an odd one because it's not explicitly trans, but I always read some of the characters in Terry Pratchett's Monstrous Regiment as transmasc

it's broadly about women going to war but gives a range of reasons for them doing this -- from looking for a sibling or boyfriend to escaping bad situations, and i like that some of them could be trans and some couldn't, i found it interesting that it didn't only give one interpretation

•  

Sammie

'The pants project' is a fairly new one that I haven't read but has a good premise
:laugh: Be you! 
-sammie.the.trans.turtle
  •  

Dani

Don't forget " Man into Woman" by Lili Elbe.

Recommended for the historical perspective of the book.
  •  

itsApril

Currently reading Whipping Girl by Julia Serano.  She has really put a lot of thought into it.  I'll post more about the book in a few days after I have some time to think it over.
-April
  •  

JB_Girl

Quote from: itsApril on June 28, 2017, 02:25:00 PM
Currently reading Whipping Girl by Julia Serano.  She has really put a lot of thought into it.  I'll post more about the book in a few days after I have some time to think it over.

I agree, one of the best feminist and trans-feminist works ever.  I read it years ago and thanks for the reminder to take another look.

JB
I began this journey when I began to think, but it took what it took for me to truly understand the what and the why of authenticity.  I'm grateful to have found a path that works and to live as I have always dreamed.

The dates are unimportant and are quite stale now.  The journey to truth is fresh and never ends.
  •  

itsApril

Quote from: JB_Girl on June 28, 2017, 02:28:23 PM
I agree, one of the best feminist and trans-feminist works ever.  I read it years ago and thanks for the reminder to take another look.

JB
She has a new edition out in 2016.  That's the version I'm reading.
-April
  •  

Janes Groove

•  

SophieD

I came across this link to a list of transgender-related reading, on the webpage of the new Johns Hopkins Center for Transgender Health.  Passing along....

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/center_transgender_health/patient_information/books.html

•  

itsApril

Quote from: itsApril on June 28, 2017, 02:25:00 PM

Finished reading Whipping Girl, and I highly recommend it.  There is some theory and polemic about gender politics that went over my head.  But Serano is really right on the money about what she calls "transmisogyny" as the motive force for transphobic attacks against trans women, both by everyday homophobes and transphobes in the cis world and also by antagonists within the LGBT movement itself.

Serano offers a biting and very persuasive critique of doctors, psychologists, and gender clinics setting themselves up as "gatekeepers" over HRT and transition.  She explains how the gatekeeper mode forced transsexuals into arbitrary and fixed gender roles, reinforcing and rewarding stereotypical behavior.  Any deviation on the part of the "patients" was then punished by stigmatizing the trans person or blocking access to treatment and transition.  Creepy.

I found Serano's description of her own transition process very interesting.  Not a single dramatic event, but rather a gradual process of consolidation of female identity as hormone-induced feminization and increasing experience in the female role took effect.  Her thesis: "passing" is governed by a combination of gender presentation in conjunction with the development of female secondary sex characteristics.  In fact, Serano doesn't think of herself as "passing" as a woman, even though she is almost universally accepted as a female in everyday life.  To the contrary, Serano says she spent the first several decades of her life "passing" as the man she was not . . .

I'm very glad I read this book.  MTF folks will relate more strongly to it because they may see a lot of themselves in Serano's description of her own experiences.  But I think her theoretical observations about the parallel continua of human variability in sex and gender issues will speak equally well to FTM folks, too.
-April
  •  

gooseberry

Bumbling into Body Hair by Everett Marroon.
Auto-biagraphy. I'm about 2/3 through it and I've loved every minute of it. His narrative is so close to my own. He started out identifying as a butch lesbian, then came to realise there was more to it than that. He's also really funny and I'm laughing at something on nearly every page.

Quote from: Dani on June 28, 2017, 06:30:19 AM
Don't forget " Man into Woman" by Lili Elbe.

Recommended for the historical perspective of the book.

I found this very hard to read. For one thing, there are a lot of seemingly homophobic comments in the narrative, and the way it's presented as "two separate people living in one body" just didn't speak to me. Going from what research I was able to do, quite a bit of it might be factually inaccurate (eg. the narrative says that Lily didn't have a sexual/romantic relationship with her wife... but when you see the paintings, some of which are explicit, they suggest otherwise.) It feels to me like it was written the way it was in order to make it more palatable (or publishable?) to cis readers of the era - which is understandable - but it did make a lot of things feel unrelatable. That and the long descriptions of things like train journeys, which are also hard to get through. But you're right, it is interesting from the historical context, I would just caution readers to keep these things in mind!

Quote from: Alissa16 on April 12, 2015, 06:51:34 AM
I would like to find a new.. Tg fantasy, magic, adventure novel of some length.. And of course in good taste..
Hmmm asking for a little too much??

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guinn.
This is a story about a planet where everyone is gender neutral. The book explores this but for the most part it is about the adventure on the planet. I enjoyed it, though I will say it was written in the sixties and some of it may seem a bit outdated now, most of all the fact that all the gender neutral characters are referred to as "he." (Le Guinn herself apologised for the problems, saying that she did her best but found researching the topic a struggle, which I can in the 60's)

Apparently Iaian Banks also did a story about gender neutral aliens, but after reading the Wasp Factory, which I hated, I kinda don't want to read any of his other stuff.
  •  

itsApril

Quote from: gooseberry on August 02, 2017, 08:12:14 AM

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula Le Guinn.
This is a story about a planet where everyone is gender neutral. The book explores this but for the most part it is about the adventure on the planet. I enjoyed it, though I will say it was written in the sixties and some of it may seem a bit outdated now, most of all the fact that all the gender neutral characters are referred to as "he." (Le Guinn herself apologised for the problems, saying that she did her best but found researching the topic a struggle, which I can in the 60's)

Yes!  Left Hand of Darkness is a great read!  It's a science fiction/adventure story which will keep you engaged while Le Guin makes her points about gender.  Most sci-fi writers are just into technical gimmickry, but Le Guin goes deep into personality and culture.  (She is the daughter of a famous anthropologist and grew up in an environment of cultural exploration.  She has lots of insight into traditional, pre-literate cultures, though that's not at play in Left Hand.)  She is able to write both male and female characters with conviction - something that lots of authors can't do.

I think what Le Guin is doing in Left Hand is trying to separate out and study the common features that make us all human from the specific gender roles of men and women.  That is, what parts of our personalities do we share with others irrespective of gender?  In the story, a modified human race is gender-neutral most of the time.  Gender only emerges periodically (about monthly) as an episode of "kemmer," sort of like reproductive "heat" in most mammals.

As the gender-neutral folks enter kemmer, they develop distinct sexual organs and secondary sex characteristics and assume a strongly gendered personality for a period of days.  As kemmer fades, so do the sex and gender characteristics.  These folks can't tell in advance whether they will be male or female at the next cycle.  If you were male/masculine in one cycle, you may just as easily be female/feminine in the next, so everyone at one time or another experiences each role.

Maybe I was reading too much of my own feelings into Left Hand, but I felt that the un-gendered normal everyday personality of this race seemed kind of flat and featureless.  I like my whole life female/feminine, thank you very much!

Another great Le Guin novel is The Dispossessed, which deals with a strongly egalitarian, almost anarchist society struggling to survive on a planet with poor resources.  Not as much gender-related content to that one, though.
-April
  •