Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

3 months of therapy and confused

Started by May, October 16, 2014, 04:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

May

So I've been seeing a therapist for over 3 months religiously. In the first couple visits she had confirmed that I had gender dysphoria.  Since then I have begun hrt legally and and this has helped greatly with my anxiety and GD.  I have been generally feeling pretty good about how I was progressing until Tuesday it was like someone through all my progress and thoughts into a blender and mixed them all up.

I thought that my dysphoria  was the leading culprit of my unhappiness. That my attempt to settle down and take a non traveling job for the sake of saving my relationship and being a family was a culprit to worsening my dysphoria.   But during this weeks session my therapist asked me if maybe my dysphoria and desire to go back to traveling for my career was a way to avoid the issues between me and my wife...  I cannot deny that I dislike confrontation, and that over the years I got very good at building walls and not letting others in. 

If she is right, which the more I think about it she may be, am I trying to fight too many fronts at once?  Has my dysphoria really gotten this bad or am I just running away?  I'm miserable right now and for the first time in my life others can see it. I know only I can answer this but I haven't been able to develop a support net so I'm feeling pretty alone right now.

•  

alena

Hi May, I had plans such as starting a family, saving for a larger home, changing jobs, holidays, etc. before my gender dysphoria hit me. All that came to a halt one day. I saw a therapist for three months who diagnosed my gender dysphoria and I have been on hormones for three months as well. My dysphoria has gone down significantly, I'm happier and I can now focus on all these things again but in a different way. Maybe your dysphoria has subsided leaving you able to focus on things that are important such as your career and travelling?

•  

May

alena,

I definitely have been able to function better at work and one of my issues in the past has been trying to make others happy and live up to expectations.  I have been trying to figure out what makes me happy and yes I was happier in my previous position.  Hard part is however we have young children and I hate myself for letting it get this far but like I said I'm still trying to figure myself out.  I travelled full time so was only with my family on holidays and 1 weekend a month. I guess the last 7 years my wife and I never had to really live with each other which is sad to admit.  I was also able to be myself because of this and never had to show this side of me to anyone else, I always thought it was just a fetish or something I didn't need.  I'm learning now it's more. I've only been on hormones for 5 weeks myself but I know it's the first thing that has felt right in awhile.  It scares me to think that my career means more to me than my family, but I know it is also part of who I am. 

•  

helen2010

Quote from: May on October 16, 2014, 04:21:49 PM
So I've been seeing a therapist for over 3 months religiously. In the first couple visits she had confirmed that I had gender dysphoria.  Since then I have begun hrt legally and and this has helped greatly with my anxiety and GD....

I thought that my dysphoria  was the leading culprit of my unhappiness.... but during this weeks session my therapist asked me if maybe my dysphoria and desire to go back to traveling for my career was a way to avoid the issues between me and my wife...  I cannot deny that I dislike confrontation, and that over the years I got very good at building walls and not letting others in. 

If she is right, which the more I think about it she may be, am I trying to fight too many fronts at once?  Has my dysphoria really gotten this bad or am I just running away?  I'm miserable right now and for the first time in my life others can see it. I know only I can answer this but I haven't been able to develop a support net so I'm feeling pretty alone right now.

May

Remember a therapist asks the questions. You provide the answers. Only you can know whether you have too much on your plate, whether you live your life for others and whether your dysphoria has been successfully addressed by hrt.

Problems and issues often coexist.  Unpacking, identifying and addressing each issue is the best way forward.  You will find the answer and if your job has been more important to you than your family then it doesn't have to be that way going forward.  On the other hand you may be better suited to a position with a lot of travel and it allows you to provide better financial support to your family.  Neither option is irreversible and neither is inherently better than the other.  Think it through, own your decision and move forward.

If you think that you may be running away from your wife,  investigate and address this.

Safe travels

Aisla
  •  

JoanneB

I felt essentially all my life I was trans. I was on/off HRT many times for the emotional reset it gave me as I struggled to be "Normal". I used, what I call, the 3D's to get by. Distractions, Diversions, and Denial. Burying myself into my career was a great way to achieve those ends. Over the ensuing decades I changed a lot, for the worse.

Six years ago when I hit bottom and knew I needed to take on the trans beast, after a LOT of introspection I came to the realization how I handled being trans was the root cause of pretty much all the major disasters in my life. Transitioning was the last thing on my wish list. Unlearning bad behaviors, gaining new tools and insights, learning how to accept myself for who I am were what drove me into seeing a therapist. I sure didn't need one to tell me I was trans! I sure needed one to help me fix my life which had a few steamer cases of ugly baggage that came with being trans.

I hate confrontation as much as, if not more then, the next person. Especially with those I love, respect, or authority. It usually ended badly for me so just shut up, go along, or just plain avoid it. It is awfully difficult to stand up for yourself when you hate yourself or have no clue at all to what your true feeling are. Or worse, totally afraid of loosing all you hold dear for exposing those feelings.

We spend a lifetime building fortified brick walls to hide our true inner feelings from exposure, even from ourselves. We are blinded when a ray of sunshine finally penetrates as the bricks are slowly removed. As our eyes adjust to the light, we begin to see things we had no clue was there. What we see may be surprising. It may seem overwhelming. Change only comes when you put in the work
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

May

aisla & JoanneB

One of my wife and my biggest hurdle is that I have always hidden this from her. I've always been ashamed that I have these feelings but am still working on viewing them as a positive. We had a long painful discussion on Thursday night and a couple things we talked about is that I was hurt with her that she has been telling her familly about me, and I haven't been able to gather the courage to tell my parents yet.  Confidentiality has been an issue in the past for her and sometimes I hold back because I don't want everyone to know.  I know this hurts her cause I've hidden things from her, and every time she sees my feminine stuff it hurts her.  We are trying to work things out but only time will tell I guess. 

Also I agree that a therapist cannot tell you what or who you are however it is nice to get some outside feedback.  I do know almost every thread I read, especially your replies here comfort me in the fact that others have gone through this as well. I'm not alone.  I know I'm trans something, and I'm happier when I can express myself so I guess I just need to hold on to that.  My wife says I've already changed by the way I talk to her, some of it may be my confidence getting better, and getting better at expressing how I feel.  I'm hoping to start going to a support group next week if I can make it work with umm.. Work. 

Also I'm typing this from an airplane, I still get to travel once a month for a few days and can't be happier, even if it is for work LOL.

Thanks for the support,
Love May

•  

helen2010

May

Your post already signals the start of a new way of being, with your wife, your family, your work and perhaps most importantly, with yourself.  It often feels strange, relationships are changing, transforming and you are now an architect of this process.

Self understanding comes with therapy, comes with conversation.  Words are important and so are the actions that follow.  As you better understand and express yourself, there will be significant benefit to you and to others.  From perhaps disappointment or hurt that you have 'hidden' part of yourself, will come understanding and an appreciation of your courage and authenticity.

Our journeys often confound us.  The mere thought of taking the first few steps may seem terrifying.  Looking back, not so much.  My sense is that you are now on your way and realise that as humans we are designed to travel, to grow and to choose the life that we wish to lead.  This is a very exciting time.  Don't over think this.  Feel your way forward.  There is no rush, no pre determined schedule or destination.  Enjoy the journey.  This is your journey.  While we may share similar experiences and challenges, no other journey will be identical to yours.

Safe travels

Aisla
  •