Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I got a job!

Started by allisonsteph, October 18, 2014, 12:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

allisonsteph

After 391 days of being out of work I accepted an offer for a full time job yesterday. This will be my first job since I transitioned. If I pass my background and drug screen I will start November 17. I will be doing customer service for the local Cable TV provider.

This of course is wonderful news, but there are some complications. I need to be out of the place I am staying by November 9. I currently have no place to go. I might be able to find a shelter, but none are within walking distance of where I will be working. I do not own a vehicle and busses do not run late enough to cover me for my shift. I figure that I will be able to afford an apartment within 4-6 weeks of starting, but have no idea how I am going to sustain myself until then.

After months of homelessness I have hope for the first time in months, but hope does not come without its complications.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •  

LordKAT

Some places will let you pull an advance on your paycheck. That usually won't happen until you are completely approved and actually working though. I wish I could help you out. Is there anyone you could stay with at all?
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: LordKAT on October 18, 2014, 02:33:19 PM
Some places will let you pull an advance on your paycheck. That usually won't happen until you are completely approved and actually working though. I wish I could help you out. Is there anyone you could stay with at all?

Unfortunately there is only one person I know in this area, and she is kicking me out. I do have 3-4 weeks to figure something out which is better than the last time I was asked to leave she I was given 2 hours.
  •  

LordKAT

I take it they are not willing to reconsider when you must leave due to your employment situation.  An extra 2 weeks would make a major difference for you.
  •  

Kimberley Beauregard

*big hugs*

I'm happy for you!  Glad things are finally looking up.
- Kim
  •  

mrs izzy

Congrats, wish you the best.

Life is good.
Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

Eva Marie

This is excellent news!

Thinking outside the box -  once you find a place to stay - can you pick up a cheap used bicycle and ride it to work?

I know that you will find a way to make this work  :)
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: Eva Marie on October 19, 2014, 12:27:04 AM
This is excellent news!

Thinking outside the box -  once you find a place to stay - can you pick up a cheap used bicycle and ride it to work?

I know that you will find a way to make this work  :)

In the summertime yes, in the winter no. The winters are way too harsh here. I have found a couple of apartments close enough to the job where I can walk. Haven't checked them out yet, but will this week. Now I just need to figure out how to get through the next few weeks.
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: LordKAT on October 18, 2014, 07:07:19 PM
I take it they are not willing to reconsider when you must leave due to your employment situation.  An extra 2 weeks would make a major difference for you.

Unfortunately, no she is not willing to reconsider when I must leave. On one hand scrambling for shelter is difficult, but on the other staying there wouldn't work either. I do not own a car and her house is nowhere near public transit. The closest bus stop is over 3 miles away.
  •  

justpat

You have been blessed.
  •  

allisonsteph

Background check: Passed

Drug screen: Passed

I'm clear to start the new job 11/17/2014
  •  

catastrophe1993

Hope you had a good first day
  •  

allisonsteph

The first day was long but good. I'll be working 8-5 Monday-Friday for the next 8 weeks while in training. Social Services provided me with emergency shelter in a motel until December 1, and the motel is on a bus line. Now I just need to figure out what to do after the first.
  •  

itsxandrea

Congratulations on this. I remember my first job after transitioning, it was a very uplifting experience for many reasons. I hope your situation is improving too and you're able to find a place soon. Stay well and congratulations!

•  

Ms Grace

Sorry, I only just saw this post Alison. It's great news, I know things have been really tough for you this year so good to know life might be looking up for you. Keep us posted :)
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: itsxandrea on December 07, 2014, 12:38:20 AM
Congratulations on this. I remember my first job after transitioning, it was a very uplifting experience for many reasons. I hope your situation is improving too and you're able to find a place soon. Stay well and congratulations!

Thank you itsxandrea, it is very uplifting to be able to go to work as the real me and not have to pretend anymore.

Quote from: Ms Grace on December 07, 2014, 12:47:16 AM
Sorry, I only just saw this post Alison. It's great news, I know things have been really tough for you this year so good to know life might be looking up for you. Keep us posted :)

Thank you Grace. Things are going quite well at the job, I think I am going to like it. In even better news, I moved into my own apartment on November 29. Friends donated furniture, cookware, plates, and glasses to get me started on a new home.

•  

Eva Marie

That's awesome Allison! I'm so happy for you - you made it through the bad stuff - that takes a lot of grit.
  •  

allisonsteph

Quote from: Eva Marie on December 09, 2014, 12:16:47 PM
That's awesome Allison! I'm so happy for you - you made it through the bad stuff - that takes a lot of grit.

Thank you Eva Marie

The other day I remembered something my therapist asked at my very first therapy session about two years ago: "Are you prepared to lose everything in order to transition?"

I never pictured it actually happening. If you had told me a year ago what I would go through and survive, I would have called you insane.
  •