Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

"My Transgender Coming Out" by Parker Marie Malloy

Started by Monica Jean, October 29, 2014, 06:24:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monica Jean

Grabbed this one from audible today, was only able to listen to the first few minutes so far.    She had me at " about to inject estrogen into my body". 

I'm at a measly amount. 

Note to self: find Parker's Endocrinologist ASAP!

*edited for dosages
  •  

Monica Jean

The good:  a solid chronological memoir of Parker's transition on growing in the Chicago area.   I noticed myself nodding "YES!" many times during this listen as our stories are much the same in many parts...the dysphoria, the rejection, the self dislike...many of us trans women's stories are amazingly undifferent from others.  Given that, I'm completely OK with that, I want to hear how the trans person succeeded (let's face it, not all make it to the finish line) through triumphs and tragedies. 

"It's a brave thing to transition!" said a person to Parker.  She replied (paraphrasing) "I don't see it as brave, I see it as surviving."  My biggest nod was given to that sentence as I have had two people tell me the same thing this past week yet I don't see anything brave at all in it, just choosing life over death, pure survival. 

The bad:  Too short!  Less than 2 hours long.  I found my self wishing Parker could have relayed to the listener more of her trials and tribulations over her years, expanding the time of the audio book, but also giving us more to relate to her as she traveled down her journey. 

4 of 5 stars.  More content is needed.  I hope she writes a follow-up, I want to hear more of her story.
  •