Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

LGBT (QIAPD) Groups in your School.

Started by SilentRain, November 09, 2014, 03:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SilentRain

Hello everyone, I'm a trans female and today I would like to talk about life in school.

School for trans* people can be very difficult. School in general is full of bullying, abuse, hazing, and all types of crazy things. So, it's quite madness for transgender people, and everyone one in LGBT (QIAPD). So,  does your school have an LGBT club like Freedom Alliance, and Gay Straight Alliance? If yes, do you go? If no, then why not make one? Even though most of you will be stealthy and not coming out, a good reason for having an LGBT club is to make your school a safer place for you. I know that I get to carry my purse around the school, and people say little about it. They're used to it. However, this is not the case for every school. People need to be educated and, as such, need to make a world for a better place for transgender, and all people.

Any remarks?
  •  

Devlyn

These types of organizations didn't even exist when I went to school. The level of awareness has skyrocketed, and I'm thrilled with it.
  •  

suzifrommd

I sponsor the Gay/Straight Alliance at the school where I work. We have about a dozen members. Though there isn't a lot of bullying in our school. Most talk and issues is about parents.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

SilentRain

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on November 09, 2014, 03:21:04 PM
These types of organizations didn't even exist when I went to school. The level of awareness has skyrocketed, and I'm thrilled with it.
Yes, although there is still a fear of me being hurt, I can wear a purse freely because of people's open mindedness. Atleast I wont be killed for wearing a purse, at least in school. Minding the fact that school staff mostly do toerate LGBT and will see any crime against LGBT a hate crime.

Quote from: suzifrommd on November 09, 2014, 03:23:12 PM
I sponsor the Gay/Straight Alliance at the school where I work. We have about a dozen members. Though there isn't a lot of bullying in our school. Most talk and issues is about parents.
Interesting, my problem with the Gay-Straight alliance at our school is because they say it's not going to ever be a support group, and, most of the meetings, we will just discuss how to get more members.
By the way, I didn't mention that it boils down to three or four serious members, so I hear.
  •  

FTMax

I'm not currently in school, but I can speak to past experiences.

In high school (2003-2007), we formed a GSA (Gay Straight Alliance). The membership was almost exclusively gay guys and lesbians and every now and then someone would bring a straight friend. We couldn't find the required faculty advisor, and therefore never really accomplished anything. After the first year, we only had one or two meetings per year. Overall, ineffective and a waste of time. We didn't do anything with the rest of the school and the only people who regularly attended were all friends, so we weren't educating anyone else.

In college (2007-2011), I joined the Pride Alliance for LGBTQ students and allies. My university had 30,000+ people and a dedicated LGBTQ Student Services Office, so there was a fairly large turnout. Every weekly meeting had an educational topic and was accompanied by introductions and an after meeting meal. It was excellent for making friends, finding dates, networking with friendly faculty and staff, and learning about topics relevant to the community. After the first year that I was a member, the issue was raised that there wasn't very much trans representation in the meeting topic choices. They made an effort to be more inclusive, but ultimately a separate trans group was formed. I never attended this one, because I wasn't out yet. Overall, they were very involved in the university's culture, very education-focused, but were more so interested in educating our community on topics of internal interest.

I think the issue with assuming the presence of these groups = education and safety is the bubble that they tend to find themselves in. Who are the people we want to educate? Everyone, especially those that have no exposure to the community. Who is least likely to come to any kind of function put on by one of these groups? People who have no exposure to the community.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

Catherine W.

My high school has had a GSA for many years now, way before I went. I am not personally attending, but am nerving up to do so. I know that if I do join, then I would be attracting attention to myself (which I hate). As for awareness in my school, its pretty much non-existent. I haven't met anyone who is openly transitioning or even anyone who knows about what it really is. The GSA doesn't ever do anything about this, but I hear that they are good for support at least.
  •  

LordKAT

In a school I work in, they changed GSA from Gay straight alliance, to gender and sexuality alliance. I  don't know about the school you are in but this tells me that trans people are becoming better known and accepted. I have hope for your GSA group.
  •  

Aliraza125

Thanks, and no, my parents don't know, I sort of fear abandonment, obviously I could go to friends/family but still, abandonment is one of major fears, anyways, thanks, I'll look into talking to a therapist.
Cut down your exam 642-874 dumps by using our latest pass4sure exam and high quality hodges.edu and testking usuhsmil demos.
  •  

Catherine W.

In Alberta, Canada, (Where I live) the government is trying to shut down all GSA related groups in schools and separate them from the school board. It is mostly because we elected a horrible premier but the debate about Bill 10 is still going and is almost fully passed. For the moment they put it on pause but they are still pushing for it. I can't believe my government actually thought that marginalization would be a good idea and that the federals aren't lifting a finger.

CBC article:http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/gay-straight-alliance-bill-put-on-hold-says-alberta-premier-jim-prentice-1.2861066
  •  

Draonth

My school has a GSA which is pretty cool, I haven't gone much this year but the teacher who runs it is super nice and helped one of my good friends embrace his sexuality and come out to his parents and everything. I'm wondering if I'd be able to come out to them and have a place to talk to people about it.
  •