Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Work Issues?

Started by Minako, November 24, 2014, 03:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minako

Hey everyone, so I just started a new job and contacted my HR representative about coming to work as my identity of lexi, which I have been living under full time for almost a year now.  The handbook to my work (Giant Eagle) states it does not discriminate based on gender identity but my HR representative informed me that I can not have my name tag changed, and I must continue to use the males restroom. In the short time I have worked there as a guy the majority of the customers already thought I was a girl, and I see many problems arising if I were to continue using the males restroom after assuming my identity change in the work place.  Not only will this be forcibly outing me but I'm sure you all know it can be dangerous for me to be forced to use the men's restroom.  Are there any laws protecting these issues?  I have been searching all over and it's hard to find a clear answer anywhere, especially pertaining to a particular area. (I live in PA)  I find some things that state I should be okay and others stating the opposite. Our HQ is also based out of Pittsburgh which from what I understand does have transgender rights so shouldn't they be applied to all stores in the corporation regardless of location?  I found a number for an ethics hotline which I plan on calling but I was hoping I could get some more information from others before doing so, this way I am prepared to try and resolve this issue in one to a few calls rather than over many.
  •  

tgchar21

Have you legally changed your name? If so then you'd have a defense at least as far as your name goes (whether or not you have gender identity laws in place where you work) since you should have the right to go by your "real" (legal) name (regardless of why you had it changed). With the other issues, or your name if it hasn't been legally changed, I'm not sure how the law applies.
  •  

KarynMcD

Based on what it says on their website about respecting diversity and respecting their "team members," go over your HR Reps head, they might not know what they are talking about.
  •