Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What to expect after the name change

Started by FairyHime, December 03, 2014, 02:33:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FairyHime

Hi everyone!

So I've decided that I'll be changing my name in about three weeks, but there's some matters that I'm still not quite clear on and I can't find information

- How do taxes work? My boss at work asked since he has to send the W2 in January but isn't sure what name he'll have to put as I will have changed my name by then. Same goes for filing ... will the IRS be able to identify that I'm the same person? And if not, what needs to be done?

- Photo ID and passport. At the moment, the only legal photo ID I carry with me is my US passport, as I don't drive and as a naturalized citizen I don't have a birth certificate. Once the name change takes place, how quickly can I start the process to get both the name and the gender marker changed? I know I'll probably have to send letters, copies of the name change, money, pictures and my current passport, but I'm concerned about going around for weeks without a valid ID. Additionally, if I were to go to the DMV to get a state ID of some sort, would I be able to ensure the correct gender marker to go along with the new name? Or do I have to get the passport fixed first?
(The greater confusion for me is that without a us birth certificate I'm not exactly sure how the gender marker change takes place.)

- Banks, medical records, etc. Would I be able, upon the name change, to go to a bank and have my information updated? In part it's because I use my cards a lot and I figure the sooner I get them the better, since it wouldn't be fun to walk around with a card without being able to prove ownership in the case my photo ID is still being processed.
Same goes for insurance. How would prescriptions work if I have the doctor's appointment before the name change, so insurance and the pharmacy will have my old name, but then I change my name ... will I be able to pick up my prescriptions?

- And a last question ... given that so many places could potentially ask for a copy of the name change, how many official copies should I obtain?

Thank you so much in advance! Really excited about this finally happening and want to make sure everything goes smoothly and without issues! ^^

I challenge my fate
  •  

Mariah

When you update with social security, the IRS gets updated automatically. The name change order should deal with most things, but almost everything I had to deal with also need the ID updated too and in some cases the social security card (in your cases what ever has your tax payer ID number on it). You would need to check with your bank and any other place if just having your updated passport would be ok instead having an ID.

Quote from: FairyHime on December 03, 2014, 02:33:06 AM
Hi everyone!

So I've decided that I'll be changing my name in about three weeks, but there's some matters that I'm still not quite clear on and I can't find information

- How do taxes work? My boss at work asked since he has to send the W2 in January but isn't sure what name he'll have to put as I will have changed my name by then. Same goes for filing ... will the IRS be able to identify that I'm the same person? And if not, what needs to be done?

- Photo ID and passport. At the moment, the only legal photo ID I carry with me is my US passport, as I don't drive and as a naturalized citizen I don't have a birth certificate. Once the name change takes place, how quickly can I start the process to get both the name and the gender marker changed? I know I'll probably have to send letters, copies of the name change, money, pictures and my current passport, but I'm concerned about going around for weeks without a valid ID. Additionally, if I were to go to the DMV to get a state ID of some sort, would I be able to ensure the correct gender marker to go along with the new name? Or do I have to get the passport fixed first?
(The greater confusion for me is that without a us birth certificate I'm not exactly sure how the gender marker change takes place.)

- Banks, medical records, etc. Would I be able, upon the name change, to go to a bank and have my information updated? In part it's because I use my cards a lot and I figure the sooner I get them the better, since it wouldn't be fun to walk around with a card without being able to prove ownership in the case my photo ID is still being processed.
Same goes for insurance. How would prescriptions work if I have the doctor's appointment before the name change, so insurance and the pharmacy will have my old name, but then I change my name ... will I be able to pick up my prescriptions?

- And a last question ... given that so many places could potentially ask for a copy of the name change, how many official copies should I obtain?

Thank you so much in advance! Really excited about this finally happening and want to make sure everything goes smoothly and without issues! ^^
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •