Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Therapy costs??

Started by Deanna, December 20, 2005, 03:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanna

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so I hope it's in the right spot.

I want to begin therapy but I'm thinking that will be difficult with no money to speak of.   I've had to move back to my home town after Hurricane Katrina devastated the town I was living in.  I know I'm TS... My parents and my friends also know, so that's not even a real issue... yet. (although, that's a topic for another discussion).  I want to start down the road to transition.  If transition could be perceived as an actual road, then I'm still on the interstate of life looking for the exit, if you know what I mean  ;)  I've read enough in the forums to learn that I should be looking for a therapist, but I'm not sure if that would be a psychologist, psychiatrist or someone else.  Currently I have no job or insurance (hopefully, that will change soon) so money is a big deal.  My question to you all is:  how much does it generally cost for therapy, endocrinologist visits and how often should each be scheduled?  I realize that cost will vary depending on the doctors and market sizes but a general idea would be helpful. What other costs would there possibly be, like tests and such?  Also, my town has a free mental health clinic.  Hopefully it's not the only free mental health clinic and someone could relate their experiences with one.  (Although, I kind of get the feeling that they don't get many TS's in that clinic)

It would probably make more sense if I waited for a job and insurance to kick in, but right now that's an unknown variable.  I think if I could just go have a first session in therapy to settle my mind and let me know that I have in fact taken the first step, I would not feel so bummed and could maybe find a new career a little faster.

Thanks for any advice
Deanna
  •  

Terri-Gene

The sad part Deanna is that yes, therapysts do cost money and when you are out of job for a while and do not have insurance, yes it can be expensive, much more then most can possibly afford till work is found.  But take to heart that you have made the first step, you have decided what you want to do.

Consider that you may have to try more then one therapyst to find one that will or can work with the subject, and when you do find one that you like, trust and can communicate with, you will want to stay with this person throught the process.  It is not a matter of one visit, an agreement that you should be on hormones and a hormone script issued.  You most probably will have to attend several sessions at least before a script is issued and you should see the therapyst on a regular basis for however long it takes to achieve surgery if that is what you wish.  Dealing with the GID part is the least of it in reality.  The real work is on your feelings about yourself, how you have been treated because of it and what you plan to do with yourself after surgery.

In time you will discover that most of all the things you thought were true about yourself have variations on input and impact on you and it is these things that truely need to be worked out.  As a fully insured person I have two Psychiatrists and one Psychologist.  While all are Transsexual experienced, each one treats me for different things which have developed over a lifetime of transsexualism, very little of the attention given me has to do with Gender exactly, but with compensations, actions etc.. caused by the exposure to elements and environments I gravitated towards trying to escape the need for transition.  It is likely you will find the same in some ways.  It all needs to be addressed to free yourself of the feelings developed over a lifetime.

One of the basics of transition is to figure out what you want in life and step by step work toward it.  Transition has many faucets, there is the hormones, getting used to people seeing and talking with you as female, finding work that will accept or tolerate you and learning to build a new life from basic scratch.

expense wise you will be looking at therapy, electro or laser, hormones or HRT, and being seen and living as a female in RLT, where you must actually live, communicate and associate as a full time woman.  All this cost more money then a luxury automobile, so definately the Job is your most important concern in the beginning.  You could be looking at thousands for therapy, several or more thousands for electro or laser etc.  Hormones arn't all that expensive, you can get by for a few dollars a day on that one.  If you go to surgery, depending on where you go it can come to less then 10k to close to or more then 30k, so look for work first and look closely at big companies with good insurance programs.  Most will not cover surgery, but again, most will cover therapy and hormones.  The electro or any plastic surgery will have to be paid for out of your own pocket though for the most part.

To begin with, think about how you will live and what you can live without, you will need every dime you can get your hands on for perhaps years in order to get it done.  At your stage and position I myself would put all emphasis right now on the best job you have skills to obtain and establishing an excellent work record with that company.  The next step would be therapy.  From there there would be HRT and electro/laser and learning to spend as much time as possible in female role, even at work if you can.  as that goes on, keep putting money into savings.  It may only be 50-or more a month, but put away all you can and do without all you can to put more money away so that when you have developed as well as you can you will be ready for the surgery.

During all this, stick around, listen and talk as much as possible here at susans and/or other places that can provide advice and information rather then in "play" places which teach you nothing and gain you nothing.

Take care deanna and ask questions, read articles and check out the Wiki.  Good luck to you.

Terri

•  

Teri Anne

Deana, Congrats on finding our little group.  Welcome.  The answers to your questions depend on a lot of things.  I will presume you're a M2F (male to female) but I'm not that sure.  If you live in a major city (you don't need to name it), that'll give you more choices on where to go.  Costs, also, are dependent on where you live and where you choose to go.  You can research this by phone anonymously.  If your parents are okay with your being TS, can they help you with the medical costs, or at least a first visit to a therapist, psychologist, or psychiatrist?  Which of those three you choose now probably isn't that important at this point because you're just starting out.  Later on, if you decide to trasition and get GRS (gender reassignment surgery), different surgeons require different types of doctors.  Some TS's go to their general practitioner (GP) doc rather than an endocrinologist - The GP can do medical tests on your liver and other things.  Others insist that you should go to an endocrinologist.  You will have to do your own research and make your own decisions.  Even if medical advice was accepted at Susan's Place, I'm sure that you would find that that advice would vary with the individual and their particular environs.  Become a ravenous reader of TS internet sites and TS books.  You're lucky -- none of that existed when I was young.  Because your finances are slim at this point, I think your idea of going to the free clinic might be a place to start.  Note, though, that not all doctors agree that transsexualism is something that should be treated seriously.  I've heard of some religious "right" docs thinking that transsexualism is a sin or that GRS is a mutilation of our bodies.  And lastly, know that transition and SRS are not necessarily the perfect answer for everyone.  Some choose to dress in female fashion and take it out for a spin...see if it works for them.  If you decide, later on, you need the operation, most surgeons will demand that you live RLT (real life test) for a year or two as a female before they dare do your operation (this and, sometimes, two letters from two psychologists).  Many choose to not have the operations.  Some, as a beginning step, find electrologists who are friendly to TS's and they begin the long process of getting rid of facial hair.  There are few things more important than doing that -- dark hair, even when closely shaved, can be a source of being "made," people discovering your past.  Electrology can be a long expensive process.  If you wait till your forties, electrology can take years (at $65 per hour) and thousands of dollars.  You have a lot of thinking to do.  You need to know you.  Teri is right -- if you go all the way, it's like forking over the amount you'd pay for a top of the line Lexus.  On top of everything else, I'm sure you'll hear that this transition thing is difficult and dangerous...once you start medical processes, it may be difficult to go back.  Be sure.  Very sure.  For me, the biggest surprise after GRS is that I still get very irritated (my "pet peeve") when the media make "guy in a dress" type of jokes...I now am far more empathetic of minorities and how society discriminates against them.  After GRS, many TS's lose themselves in the world of being a woman.  For the most part, that's true with me, but I still find dating difficult at times (when do I tell them about my past?).  If you're young, this part of it will be a lot more easy for you.  It's not like you have forty years of life to explain to people you become close to.  And the biggest surprise may be that the two genders are not as far apart as society intimates.  Whichever road you choose, I wish you peace and happiness.
  •  

LostInTime

I see a therapist.  I saw another therapist before she retired.  I only had to go see one of the big boy shrinks once and he was afraid of me so that was a waste of time.  Point?  You will need to use the T community and your own common sense to find some sort of counselor that you are comfortable with and will not telling them everything.

how much does it generally cost for therapy

I have paid anywhere from $70-$200 per one hour session.  Well and one $20 one but that ended up with her and I BSing for most of the time.

endocrinologist visits and how often should each be scheduled?

Endocs will vary.  First one I saw was horrible.  $80 for each visit, $45 for meds each month.  I just saw my current endoc (who rocks, BTW) and paid all of $35 on insurance but my first few visits ran about $150 each.  Prices are going to vary, a good therapist/whatever will be able to refer you to a good one.  From there you can just call for the rates.

Therapy, schedule as needed.  The most I ever did was twice a month.  I know others who go about once a week or more.   You set your own pace with this.  My endoc first asked me to show up every 3 months.  Now it is every 6 months and a year after surgery it will be once a year.

YMMV.

Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.
  •  

msjudy

EEEks     I dont know of many DR's that are cheap
and in my books You get what you pay for also

Therapy costs can vary widely 
this is the way  medical systems and billing works with insurance compaies etc   deductibles
Everything escalates    I would say over A  average   1/2 time frame out of pocket expenses to dr therapist could rise ofver $100

Add that up  over months and years  or yearly it can be very costly
then the medications etc.. things add up big time   
      Transitioning is very costly     Escalates but after SRS  over time it   lightens up  and hopefully stops  for whom ever ya are hun

First of all  people could  use support Yes  !!
but Best support to start off with is  make sure you can Deal with your Family etc  and they accept you as you are 
Many transitioning ladies and gentlemen  fall victim to loss of family friends and  jobs and  then theSpider Web of Doctors   and they can  cost thousands of dollars wayy before Surgery     

I seen many Fellow sisters / Brothers fall into this Spider Web of Economics

We all need to throw out help full ideas to   lessen these problematic issues   Trans gendered  Transexuals   Face every day 

Economics of Transitioning Really Vary   From individual to individual     but our ideas and helpfull philosophical  insight we share is important to  the World we live in
This is called Networking
             Life is too short for Stress
I dont know how far you are in transitioning but like I said  Costs  / loss of jobs etc  all = sadness   
This is where  Family support is A great place to start Parents and  Relatives etc can possibly be the biggest aid / support youll ever have

Just dont force things  / lifestyle changes down their throats    .. older people need some time to Digest   Transexualism in many of our instances     ... 
            Best place to start is to be open to your primary physiciian ... First   ....
  A good Family physician should be able to  look at A  Patient without being Biased or prejudiced for someone Transioning And hopefully this particular Doctor will gladly help you accomplish your Dream Goals which Are  Wonderful Journeys we all lead ..

Hugs
Sincerely Janne = judy
  •  

molly

In my area the average cost seems to range between $100 and $170 per session.  I just started therapy yesterday and when we got to the money part she was very flexible.  I am paying $100 but she would have gone lower depending on what I could afford.

The point being that often the rate can be negotiated based on your specific economic circumstance.

I found the process of finding a therapist a daunting task at first.  Didn't know where or how to start, or what to ask to determine who would be a good fit.  It was trial and error for me.

I wish you success and good fortune in your quest.

Molly
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Hello Deanna,

As you have discovered from the replies you have received there is lots of great advice to be found here, and hopefully you will heed it.  There is one thing that you must keep in  mind though...  You are stuck in a catch 22 right now you say that you know you are TS and that your family and friends know you are TS.  I would just like to offer this.  I don't think that there is any way that your family and friends know you are TS for they would have to have access to your inner being (for want of a better phrase).  To meet with the SOC you need and should be in therapy, and for this you need money, no money no therapy.

All the advice you have been given is that you need to be in therapy before you venture on any form of journey.  It is a sad fact of life these days that transition will place a huge financial burden on you.  As Terri suggested your first priority should be to get a job that will support you.  Then work out a budget that will accommodate therapy.  It would seem that average costs would be around $100 p/hr.  Then once you are in therapy you can workout where your life will go from there.  Remember that once transition has started there is a point of no return.

Just remember that money has nothing to do with who or what you are.  In some cases it makes achieving the who and the what a lot easier, and if that is who and what you are nothing will stand in your way.

Steph
  •  

Annie Social

I consider myself extremely fortunate...

My financial situation has been iffy at best for the past couple of years, and I was unsure as to whether I could afford a therapist at all. I asked several local TG people for a recommendation, and they weren early unanimous in suggesting one person. She has a Ph.D. in clinical psychology, and has been dealing with TG patients for 20 years.

To my delight, I came across this statement on her website:  "My hours reflect the needs of my patients as do my fees.  I believe the primary concern in therapy should be addressing the issues, not how to pay for it.  My patients determine the fee according to their financial situations.  I do not accept insurance."

In our first session, I told her what I could afford on a weekly basis, and all she said was "That's fine, whatever you're comfortable with. I'd much rather a patient keep up with her therapy than skip sessions because she can't afford it." The amount is less than half of what seems to be the average here.

Ask around in your area; you may be as lucky as I was!
  •