Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Cricket World Cup: US media tries to explain cricket with humorous results

Started by DragonBeer, February 12, 2015, 09:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonBeer

Cricket World Cup: US media tries to explain cricket with humorous results

Thursday, February 12th 2015
Posted by FOX SPORTS

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/icc-world-cup-2015/cricket-world-cup-us-media-tries-to-explain-cricket-with-humorous-results/story-e6frf3ju-1227217686110?nk=a279bf05de076e6c4aa1aae286e93ef2#itm=newscomau|home|nca-homepage-masthead-feature|6|heading|homepage|homepage&itmt=1423751762698

HOW do you explain cricket to an American?

It's a question that's puzzled many an Aussie tourist who has headed Stateside and tried to spread the gospel of the good game.
  •  

ImagineKate

I could never explain it to them without them trying to modify it so that it is almost unrecognizable.

The world cup is not bad. A test match would blow their minds though. 5 days of watching a bunch of grown men throw and bat balls and run all over a field. Complete with tea breaks.

That said, I never got into baseball. I mean I go to yankee games now and again with my colleagues but mostly because we have a luxury suite (owned by the company) and I really don't watch the game. It's just a really expensive social outing.
  •  

Ms Grace

That's actually very accurate.

However, although it's heresy to many of my fellow Australians my general description of cricket would be "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......." ;)
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

immortal gypsy

Only the English could invent test cricket.  A game that last for five days and can still end in a draw. :P

Because a one day match is played in coloured uniforms, not the usual cricketing whites. We use to call this the pajama game, lots of colours sometimes half the game under lights.

Hopefully our boys do better then the last time we hosted the tournament. We where absolutely thrashed. Back then you could also have cigarette advertising on sporting events

NZ 26/0 of 4.2 overs
Do not fear those who have nothing left to lose, fear those who are prepared to lose it all

Si vis bellum, parra pacem
  •  

ImagineKate

My team has always been West Indies but occasionally I would root for India. Truth be told a lot of Indian people in the Caribbean would end up rooting for India over West Indies. I did like shivnarine chanderpaul and Brian Lara though. Lara is a local celebrity. They named a ton of stuff after him.

Indians I work with at work are crazy about cricket. Moreso than the English and Aussies I think. Wonder why.
  •  

cindy16

Quote from: ImagineKate on February 14, 2015, 09:29:45 AM
Indians I work with at work are crazy about cricket. Moreso than the English and Aussies I think. Wonder why.

As an Indian, I think that's probably because Indian achievers in other sports are too few to be crazy about, especially in team sports.
Honestly though, I am far less excited this time than I was about the last World Cup. Maybe because that was Sachin's swansong and this current Indian team just comes across as too brash.
  •  

immortal gypsy

After Cyclone Marcia hit the coast yesterday. I'm torn about if the Australia vs Bangladesh game should go ahead if possible.

On the lighter side, sorry England after your past two performances you deserve this :laugh::

What's the English version of a hatrick?
3 runs in 3 balls

When would an English cricketer have a 100 runs against his name?
When his bowling

What did the spectators miss when they went to the toilet?
The entire English innings

Sorry English fans, I couldn't help myself. Only four more games of pain remaining >:-)

Do not fear those who have nothing left to lose, fear those who are prepared to lose it all

Si vis bellum, parra pacem
  •  

big kim

•  

i_are_kim

•  

carsandsarcasm

How does cricket work? Here is a passage in the front of a book I own. Enjoy:

"You have two sides: one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in, and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in, and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out. Sometimes you get men still in not out. When a man goes out to be in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in, and the next man goes out and goes in. There are also two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men except one have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game."
  •  

cindy16

•