Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Is anybody here a Deist?

Started by Cyber Warrior, February 22, 2015, 05:10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Warrior

Hello everyone.

I'm a extremely anti religious person because I believe that all religions are man made and that they cause hatred and intolerance. However I am not an atheist because I do believe there is something more than the physical realm of this life. I can't prove it but I just believe in some sort of supernatural realm as well. I don't think anybody can have the answers about the afterlife until after they die and that any attempt to say that they do have knowledge is faulty. I guess you could say I'm spiritual but not religious. Does anybody else feel this way?
  •  

Sunderland

I sort of fall into that category, although I consider myself an atheist. I don't believe in a god (although I am open to the possibility), but I do believe in certain supernatural concepts. For example, I believe my partner and I's hearts are connected in a way that transcends what is currently explainable. I believe we can sometimes feel what the other is feeling, even from far away. Things like that. Just my own little romanticization of the world, I suppose. :)
  •  

Dee Marshall

I've called myself a deist for those same reasons for quite a few years now.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Cyber Warrior

I used to be a Christian about 5 years ago but I never really believed and I grew tired of the hatred, intolerance, and just plain ignorance of religion in general. I realized that religion was just wrong and incorrect in all things and I believe that it is the root of all evil in this world (or at least a large portion of it). At the same time however, I couldnt buy into materialistic atheism. I didn't like the atheist who reduce every single human behavior and emotion to some sort of evolutionary adaption and that our emotions meant nothing. I heard plently of materialist who spout crap like that all the time and pretty much say humanity means nothing. Does anybody know what I'm saying?
  •  

sweetbriar9

Yeah, cold and clinical, similar to the way that people use Darwin's theory of evolution to be cruel to others. I consider myself to be a philosophical pantheist. There is no separation between the material and spiritual, everything is both. There is also no individual god, just existence. Science might eventually explain how and why, but it's way beyond me at this point. The difficult part to explain about my personal views is that (to me) tools of any kind are the link between an individual person's spirit and the material world around them, so there must be some sort of distinction between the two. I might figure it out someday, but if I feel the need to worship something then mystery itself is what I choose. Not understanding something is exactly what makes it still magical. Just my weird little world view.
Just born too late, and apparently in the wrong package too.
  •  

FreyasRedemption

Quote from: Cyber Warrior on February 22, 2015, 05:10:10 PM
I'm a extremely anti religious person because I believe that all religions are man made and that they cause hatred and intolerance.
I just have to disagree with this.
How many wars have been started by Buddhists, for example? How much misery has Jainism brought to this world? How many people have been killed in the name of the gods of Sala'i Vilak, the small, slowly dying religion that I follow?
None.
All religions are not bad. And to think otherwise would make one a fundamentalist, a fanatic, no better than those who give all that bad reputation to Christianity, Islam and others.
There is a better tomorrow.
  •  

DriftingCrow

How do you define the difference between "deist" and "agnostic"?

I personally am not either a deist or agnostic.  I follow Sikhism.  To me, it makes perfect sense.  I usually don't like to tell white people that I am religious since MANY only understand Western versions of religion, Western versions of God, etc.  I do not even say "I believe in God" because Westerners only think of God as a big old  white man in a cloud looking down on us--that I don't believe in; I often say "I believe in a Great Spirit" since it makes people think of something other than the stereotypical version of God. 

Another thing is Sikhism doesn't give any real creation story or any real clear answers on what happens after death.  It's said you're reincarnated or you "merge with the one" if you're really really good -- that's it, there's no heaven or hell, no great hall full of virgins.  You're not left trying to reconcile a story of creation in 7 days (or other sorts of religious creation stories) with modern scientific theories.  Siri Guru Granth Sahib Ji (Sikh scriptures, the living Guru) only says a few things, which happen to coincide nicely with modern day scientific theories of Creation (ie: the Big Bang, cyclical theory, etc.).  I only say this to show that not EVERY religion has a creation or after-life story.

Quote from: FreyasRedemption on September 09, 2015, 07:04:54 AM
I just have to disagree with this.
How many wars have been started by Buddhists, for example? How much misery has Jainism brought to this world? How many people have been killed in the name of the gods of Sala'i Vilak, the small, slowly dying religion that I follow?
None.
All religions are not bad. And to think otherwise would make one a fundamentalist, a fanatic, no better than those who give all that bad reputation to Christianity, Islam and others.

I agree and also kind of disagree with the above.  I think most religions don't start wars in itself -- the problem is human nature and not necessarily the religion.  Humans play into "tribalism" and fall into black and whites on what's bad and good; "if you're not part of my group, you must be an enemy" -- many people look at the Middle East now and blame Islam, but I believe they'd have pretty much the same problems there even if the majority of people there were Christians, Jains, Jews, or Bahai'is. Tribalism and other components of human nature (greed being a BIG one) is also why non-religious or secular societies have been plagued by non-religious wars  -- the USA went into Iraq not because of religion but because of human nature.

The other problem is many people who claim to follow a religion are not actually truly scholars in the religion so its easy to misinterpret things. It's not always the religion, it is the people's ignorance mixed with human nature. Many of the Taliban fighters were recruited easily because they were young and poorly educated; many had little to no ability to actually read and understand the Quran themselves.   (The only thing I disagree with is that Buddhism isn't as truly innocent as many people claim, Buddhists, including Buddhist monks, have caused much terror for the Rohingya (Muslim minority) in Burma/Myanmar  <though> as also stated I think this is caused by human nature/tribalism than the religion itself).

I think it's very easy to blame religion for the world's problems.  But blaming religion isn't the answer.  Even if we eradicated the world from religion tomorrow, there'd still be the same problems.  It's human nature, not religion. 
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

sweetbriar9

I agree, a great example of a poorly educated individual trying to follow their religion right now is Kim Davis, the Kentucky county clerk who is refusing to issue same sex marriage licenses. She identifies as a Christian but probably hasn't read about it much, taking two or three choice sentences in a compilation of short stories and ignoring the rest. If she really cared, she'd be very conflicted about it. In Romans 13:1-2 it's stated that you should follow the laws of your governing authorities because "god" created them. Thank goodness I'm not christian. On a different note, Sikhism sounds pretty fair. I always sort of figured that we got absorbed after death, but there are some things that really make me wonder about reincarnation, for one thing I've felt like an old timer my whole life.
Just born too late, and apparently in the wrong package too.
  •