Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

How do you feel about the word "transgendered"?

Started by suzifrommd, February 28, 2015, 05:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How do you feel about the word "transgendered"?

It's fine
It makes sense in some cases
It's annoying but people use it and I can live with it
It's a stain on the language and should be eradicated

suzifrommd

Certain elements in our community have been trying to get rid of the use of the word "transgendered" as in "transgendered woman" or "transgendered people", reminding us that the word is "transgender".

However, I still see it cropping up a lot, even on this site.

What do we think of this?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Cindy

As far as English goes you are transgender, you cannot be transgendered.. You are human not humaned.
  •  

Devlyn

Although one can certainly be Australianed, it involves a very hot branding iron! (running away)
  •  

Muffinheart

Quote from: Cindy on February 28, 2015, 06:25:55 AM
As far as English goes you are transgender, you cannot be transgendered.. You are human not humaned.

I have a pet peeve with some words, and transgendered is at the top of the list.
Another one is "irregardless"
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Muffinheart on February 28, 2015, 07:15:44 AM
Quote from: Cindy on February 28, 2015, 06:25:55 AM

I have a pet peeve with some words, and transgendered is at the top of the list.

Oh Honey we are on the same page! Don't start me on punctuation!

A woman, without her man, is nothing.
A woman: without her, man is nothing.

:laugh:

•  

Muffinheart

Quote from: Cindy on February 28, 2015, 07:26:01 AM

Haha...
"Let's eat grandma"
"Let's eat, grandma"
  •  

Anna++

"Transgendered"  is incorrect, and almost seems to imply that it's something you can catch later in life.  I keep hearing it in the same tone as "Anna was sickened with flu"

As for grammar, I'm a fan of the Oxford comma.  It makes all the difference between inviting "the strippers, Hitler, and Stalin" and inviting "the strippers, Hitler and Stalin"
Sometimes I blog things

Of course I'm sane.  When trees start talking to me, I don't talk back.

•  

Kellam

I'm going to have to bring this up to my mother, she's a grammar nut. She is a second generation editor and even writes a grammar blog. I'm forever being corrected. I voted "fine with it" but I suppose I didn't think too hard on it either. My issue is that words can be gendered, as in gendered pronouns so... Hmm. I have never used the word myself, I say transgender.

I won't go into my love of the comma. I abuse them like they are hard drugs, seriously!
https://atranswomanstale.wordpress.com This is my blog A Trans Woman's Tale -Chris Jen Kellam-Scott

"You must always be yourself, no matter what the price. It is the highest form of morality."   -Candy Darling

•  

Cindy

I was asked to give a presentation to the ANZ Society of Occupational Medicine on how to support transgender workers.

I was introduced as 'Cindy will tell us what it is like to be transgendered in the workplace.' My opening reply was that I had never been transgendered, I'd also never been womaned or manned.

Language is the fabric of life; it is nice to see others agree.
  •  

ThePhoenix

Well, I tried to vote that it's annoying, but I accidentally tapped that it is a stain as I was tapping submit.

Anyway, I find it roughly equivalent to fingernails on a chalk board.  It's grating, but not insulting or offensive per se.  But it poses problems aside from just being grammatically equivalent to saying someone was "gayed" or "talled."

For one thing, it sounds like the past tense of a verb.  So when people end up talking about "transgendered" we also sometimes hear them talking about "transgendering."  Pretty soon it gets pretty incomprehensible. 

It also makes it sound like something that happened to a person rather than an integral part of who a person is.  As in, "oh my gosh, I fell in the vat and got transgendered!"

Now transgender as a noun, as in referring to a person as "a transgender" or a group of people as "transgenders."  That I find offensive, as do many people.  I see it occasionally on this site and I refuse to respond to any thread where people are using it.  If it is used that way in my proximity in person, the user will be corrected promptly.

The problem with "a transgender" isn't just grammatical.  But take a look at what is written about us.  Anti-transgender writers tend to use "a transgender" or "transgenders" instead of "transgender person" or "transgender people" because it allows them to avoid the word "person" or "people."  It's a lot easier to defend hate, bigotry, and discrimination if you shove aside the notion that the recipient is a human being.  I don't like having my humanity deleted and I don't like hearing my haters' language tossed at me. 
  •  

Cindy

^^^^^

So true.

Let us look at how words are used rather than the words.

All women are dumb. All men are aggressive. All Muslims are terrorists. All religious people are unaccepting. All transgenders are ....................

All of these sentences are discriminatory, that is the only truth.
  •  

DragonBeer

•  

jeni

"Transgendered" doesn't bother me, but "Jeni is a transgender" sure does.

I don't think I agree with the assessment that "Jeni is transgendered" is either grammatically incorrect or means she was hit with a transgendering ray. "Gender" is a noun. "Jeni is female gendered" is correct. (See examples here: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/gendered) By analogy, I think "Jeni is transgendered" is grammatically correct, and it does not mean something was done to her, it means that she possesses a gender that is female.

Think about "Jeni is brown-eyed." It's the same thing. She has eyes that are brown.

All that said, and despite my personal indifference, it's enough for me that some people are uncomfortable with the term. I don't use it. "Transgender" is equivalent and doesn't offend anyone (or at least, offends fewer people), so I don't see any reason to waste the extra two letters.
-=< Jennifer >=-

•  

Cindy

•  

Cindy

•  

Damara

Quote from: Cindy on February 28, 2015, 07:26:01 AM

That is my favourite thing ever, Cindy!! Hahaha!!

Also in the past I've used the word "transgendered" as I thought it was describing being transgender.. lol! Then I discovered that it actually doesn't make sense.. and have adjusted my language accordingly. :D

Doesn't really bother me though when others say it. :)
  •  

jeni

-=< Jennifer >=-

•  

mrs izzy

I feel it gets way over used.

Transition is what we do. Gender is why.

Trans gender was coined for the process one takes to go from a gender to the next. i.e. transgender.

Its the same as a caterpillar make the metamorphosis transition from caterpillar to butterfly.

In the what society sees us as always in that state. State of transition or transgender.

I am female today. I always was female with male showing genitalia. I had to transition in society from what they felt was my role but really all I did was transition from my male genitalia to female.

So I was in a time of my life a transgender in only the eyes of society. Myself I was in my cocoon working my way out to my new body.

In ending we need to worry more of who we are then what society wants us to be.

Je suis un ĂȘtre humain  nothing more, nothing less.
Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

Devlyn

The problem here in Boston is that we can't get our public portation transing.   8)
  •