Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

NEED HELP CALIFORNIA TAX FILING!

Started by Aazhie, March 09, 2015, 03:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aazhie

Ok, this has been a butt & a half to figure out.  I am getting no calls back or info from the friggin IRS.

I change my name and gender with Social Security in January.  My W-2 from my employer is in my OLD name & gender.

Does anyone know how the heck to file?  I have been sort of told to file under my old name and as long as my SS info has been updated, it's ok to have this discrepancy.  This was from a person at the tax company H&R Block but I'm not sure she really understood me even though I explained about a bajillion times. I really wanted to see if anyone has actually dealt with this.  I don't want to not get a refund and/or get in trouble for impersonating.... myself!  I feel like filing under a new name is similar to getting a new name via marrying and changing your name, but I don't actually know about any of this stuff!

Thanks for any help
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Johnny Cash
  •  

Cindi Jones

This happened to me. I had legally changed my name and used it and my social security number. If you have any doubts, just file by mail and include a copy of your name change order. That should do it. I've found that with the IRS and Social Security, that they have absolutely no issues with transgender people. As long as you are legal, don't worry. They just want their money and the correct social security number. You should be aware that you will likely get an AKA on  your credit reports for a while. You can get that straightened out by sending them a copy of your court order as well.

Chin up!
Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

Jill F

I am filing with my new legal name on my tax return with a copy of the court order for name change.   SS should already show some record of your old and new names and the change. 
  •  

mrs izzy

You file in your still legal name as of the day end of Dec 2014. 

If your legal name applies to the fiscal tax year.

So if you already changed  your name in the courts but w2 1099 etc paperwork is given in old due to not having changed in SS yet.
you file in new name and hand write change name. 

Your file will reflect your name change once the SS admin updates your record.

Pm if you need.

Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

Aazhie

thanks everyone, this is just what I needed.  I'll file under my old name online,  or see if I can mail it in.  I should be able to do online but paper is also very do-able!

thanks!!!  :D
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Johnny Cash
  •  

jessical

Mrs Izzy is correct.  I am in the same situation.  When you file for your 2015 taxes, then you should use the new name, and the W-2 should have the new name as well, but for 2014 it should be the old name.
  •  

LordKAT

IRS can be wacky. When I filed my first or second year after name change, they said I hadn't filed the year before and charged what they figured I should owe. I had proof that I did file, but it is a battle still in session.
  •  

mrs izzy

Quote from: Aazhie on March 09, 2015, 06:37:19 PM
thanks everyone, this is just what I needed.  I'll file under my old name online,  or see if I can mail it in.  I should be able to do online but paper is also very do-able!

thanks!!!  :D

You can do it online with out issue. Irs is a little screwed up but you go by the time year ending day status is the key.

Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •