Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

My Driver's License is Male, Can I be Male On Health Insurance now too?

Started by 2fish, March 17, 2015, 07:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2fish

I recently purchased health insurance, when the lady signed me up over the phone she called me sir and mr. :D
My driver's license says that I'm male. Will my insurance cover me for hypogonadism so that I can continue to get t from a primary dr through health insurance. I can't afford both health insurance and my current dr that I pay out of pocket to prescribe my t.

I was reading my insurance benefits and it says that t is a long term treatment wich is good cause they cover it.
Also, it says that if my "gender" is incorrect that I should change it. My they registered me as male. I'm FTM.
Now question is do I put male or female?

I've done all the steps to be considered male by my state. Can a dr overturn that?

I'm also male with social security.
http://www.gender158.com (A Trans-Masculine Resource Website)
  •  

AndrewB

I don't know about your health insurance, but on mine (Kaiser Permanente, in case it's locally relevant to you) all they need is your driver's license to declare you male or female. Also, it's not like your medical record just disappears when you change legal genders; if you're on T and have been diagnosed with gender dysphoria, they're not going to just go "Well guess you don't need those anymore, you grew a prostate/penis/male reproductive system, right?" I'd say go for it, it'll make things less confusing down the road.
Andrew | 21 | FTM | US | He/Him/His

•  

LordKAT

Short answer is yes you can. If you haven't had a hysto and want insurance to cover it, you may not want it that way.
  •  

ImagineKate

If you're male on your docs you're male on your insurance. The whole gender thing for insurance is dumb anyway. My insurance denies me estrogen because I am on it as a male (and males don't take estrogen, silly!) However if I tell them I'm trans they will cover it due to NY state law. I'm not going to bother because I already get it cheap out of pocket and I'm changing to F soon anyway,
  •  

Ayden

Quote from: LordKAT on March 17, 2015, 08:21:46 AM
Short answer is yes you can. If you haven't had a hysto and want insurance to cover it, you may not want it that way.

^Yes.

I would also say that you may want to read your policy thoroughly to be sure that you won't end up making your medical needs more complicated. If you have anything that would be considered a "female" problem, be ready to have it not covered by insurance, as KAT said.
  •