Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What do we think of self-diagnosing gender dysphoria?

Started by suzifrommd, March 27, 2015, 06:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should someone diagnose their own gender dysphoria and transition without a therapist?

No way. A competent mental health professional needs to be involved.
Not a good idea. We need help figuring ourselves out.
I suppose for some people, though most people really need the guidance.
Sure, if you know what you are, and know what you need to do about it.
Can be better to do it on your own. A bad therapist is worse than none at all.

Dee Marshall

Quote from: femmebutt on March 28, 2015, 02:28:26 PM
I think dee is referring to multiple personality disorder - best guess...
I am, but they don't call it that anymore.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

pollypagan

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on March 27, 2015, 10:31:40 PM
How the heck can anyone here even begin to say that a therapist knows better than the person their supposed to be helping in these matters?  If you feel like you're trans, you are trans.  That's pretty much all there is to it.  You know what you feel better than any therapist; therefore, it's up to the individual to realize this stuff.  Otherwise we'd be going back to gatekeeping like they used to have...

Agree totally and pretty much what I said earlier in the thread.
  •  

Carrie Liz

With all of the information available on the internet nowadays, all of the people sharing their own personal stories about why they transitioned, being able to compare symptoms, compare life experiences, and test and test your own convictions on the matter based on those stories and experiences, I think it's pretty safe to say that someone with classic gender dysphoria could probably diagnose themselves pretty easily, and in fact most of us go into transition already knowing that we need to transition, need hormones, and know whether we need surgery or not. There are plenty who are more on the fence about it who probably could benefit from some guidance to sort out their doubts and uncertainties, but most of us, probably not.

I basically did diagnose myself. A therapist was very helpful once I finally did start going to therapy, because she helped me sort out which of my life problems were likely dysphoria-related and which ones were likely general-life-issues related, but she was more help in getting through the actual process, not so much in helping me decide what I needed to do medically. I knew long before going to therapy for the first time that I was indeed trans, and that I wanted hormones, a full social transition, and SRS. She just confirmed what I already knew, and helped me rest comfortably in those convictions because I knew that a medical professional agreed with me on them.
  •  

androgynouspainter26

WELL...Can someone not be both schizophrenic and trans?  I think it's a very ableist assumption that being one precludes being the other; I actually have a freiend who has schizophrenia who is currently exploring his (or possibly her) gender identity, and the two issues are completely unrealated.
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

Dee Marshall

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on March 28, 2015, 04:02:29 PM
WELL...Can someone not be both schizophrenic and trans?  I think it's a very ableist assumption that being one precludes being the other; I actually have a freiend who has schizophrenia who is currently exploring his (or possibly her) gender identity, and the two issues are completely unrealated.
Don't shoot the messenger. No one asked my input on any of the DSMs, and I don't particularly agree with everything in it. Second, I didn't say no one could be both. I said that the idea was to make sure a more serious issue wasn't masking the true situation. Doctors are really concerned about not causing harm. Where would we all be if they just proscribed HRT and surgery without being sure and then later the person decided that it was a mistake and sued. None of us would be able to get what we need.

Before we get too far with this let me say that I believe we should all be able to get the treatment we need on our own say so, but too many times people have pushed for treatments of various kinds and then sued when they didn't like the results even when the treatments did just what they were supposed to. Those people ruined things for all of us.

There's a difference between gate keeping and self defense, but it can be really hard to see sometimes.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Orchid

I can only speak for myself here, and say, I really needed the guidance in the end, even when I had my mind hell bent on having gender dysphoria. If not for the diagnosis then just to speak through it with someone who is hearing me, and mapping out a future plan for me in the process, whether it be to pursue HRT or otherwise. Then again, I was given the diagnosis of gender dysphoria... maybe my opinion would have changed if I was told something I don't agree with, whatever other answer that might be.

Some can decide for themselves I think, though in my case it was best for me to talk it out- not just 'be 100% certain', but to explain myself and really, really, think through it.
10-22-15 - Begin
  •  

femmebutt

I always like your thought provoking posts, Suzi!

Quote from: suzifrommd on March 27, 2015, 06:45:53 PM
What do we think about people who don't see a mental health professional and decide to transition on their own? They learn what they need to by reading up on GID and from forums like Susan's...[/i]

If a person has continual suffering and constantly fails to find ways to cope or transcend their issues one hopes they would just seek help.  But I think there are plenty of ways outside formal mental therapy a person could help themself.  In my case I have my therapist to thank for helping me to be able to confront my gender issues, but my decision to go on hrt was my own and was not made while under her care. I'd like to think if I were conflicted and struggling with that decision that I would be sensible enough to start seeing her again.

I'm sure someone could provide a link to a "things to consider before transitioning" article...

...oh wait, isn't that your point?
hybrid
  •  

Jen72

What I think is everyone should at least try just to make sure they are confident in proceeding with transition. However if you are so confident then by all means go forth but like any problem it is better to get a second outlook on it.

The only thing that bugs me a bit is really its all up to me to really figure it out if that makes sense. I realize GID is so variable but is there not some queues as to what it really is? My guess at this time they don't really know so we are left to our own decision with little guidance to make those choices. Maybe I am wrong or haven't gone through enough with a therapist to really figure stuff out but for me still feels as if its really just me figuring this out. I do understand though that only I can truly know my own thoughts. I had hoped there would be some traits, queues or whatever that might point me into what direction I was heading if that makes sense.

So in short at least in my experience we really do actually self diagnose but with help and guidance would be wise.
For every day that stings better days it brings.
For every road that ends another will begin.

From a song called "Master of the Wind"" by Man O War.

I my opinions hurt anyone it is NOT my intent.  I try to look at things in a neutral manner but we are all biased to a degree.  If I ever post anything wrong PLEASE correct me!  Human after all.
  •  

femmebutt

I'm changing my answer. I've seen enough dumb tattoos to realize people don't give enough weight to decisions that affect permanently changing their appearance. This is so much more than a change of appearance - this decision is something you have to live with and struggle with for a while. And all the major considerations need to be measured against the longer arc of our life's trajectory, goals, etc.
hybrid
  •  

suzifrommd

Johnny: Why do you think I should see a therapist?

Doc: I'm a bit concerned about the things you've been saying.

Johnny: Like what.

Doc: About how you're a man, always been a man, and plan on living the rest of your life as a man.

Johnny: Well, I am a man. I've always known that.

Doc: It sounds to me like you might be saying you're cisgender.

Johnny: Of course. I was born with a male body and I want to live as a man.

Doc: I really think you should talk to a therapist about this. A lot goes into deciding whether you're cisgender. It's not the sort of thing you should do on your own.

Johnny: Why not? I like being a man. I play football. I go out with girls. Why wouldn't I be cisgender.

Doc: I'm not saying you're not cis. I'm saying that you should look more carefully at it. Are you sure you don't just want an opportunity to do the things that men do? Like play football and date women. You could do those things as a woman, you know.

Johnny: But I've always wanted to be a man. Isn't that enough to know I'm cis?

Doc: You really want to be screened for a mental illness. There are a number of conditions that might make someone think they're cisgender when they're not.

Johnny: This is crazy. I'm a man. I've always been a man. I have a male body. Are you telling me I need a therapist to tell me I'm cisgender?

Doc: It's not just that. Being cisgender is hard. Cisgender people are under a lot of pressure. Cisgender men can be required to serve in the army. Cis men are under a lot of pressure to get married and have kids. And the statistics are grim. Over 90% of crime victims are cisgender. Also more than 90% of car accident victims. It can be hard to find love as a cisgender person. 50%, 50% mind you, of cisgender marriages end in divorce. Don't you think a therapist could help you deal with the difficulties involved in choosing to be cis?

Johnny: I'm not choosing to be cis. I AM cis.

Doc: Maybe. I'm just suggesting that you talk to someone before choosing that lifestyle. It's just not natural. God has given us HRT and SRS because He wants us to choose how we live. Just deciding to be cis without carefully weighing those alternatives is simply not natural. Especially since cisgender people face such a world of difficulty. I'll give you the name of one of the top gender therapists. At least tell me you'll think about seeing him.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Mariah

Because gate keeping can even begin with a primary care doctor and their not giving the necessary referrals needed sometimes for insurances to cover therapy and the like you often do have to self diagnosis and even be confident in it to ensure you get the care you need. My previous primary care doctor was one of those and as a result he isn't my primary care doctor anymore as a result he handed me off to a doctor in the office who handles trans patients which worked out for the best. I have been sure all my life and much of that stems from issues that have been around since my birth. Having said some really do need to sort this out with a therapist to find out where they stand, but in truth only you and you alone can decide if your trans or not. The therapist is only their to help you sort out who you are and due to the hoops in many cases right the letters we need to get the care we need.
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

femmebutt

Quote from: suzifrommd on March 30, 2015, 08:19:40 AM

Doc: I'm a bit concerned about the things you've been saying...
<3 so good!
hybrid
  •  

The_Gentleboy

NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE. (for certain people)

I think if you feel intrinsically wrong, you will identify it yourself. Most (if not all) here knew they were some form of transgender, however dysphoria can be different for different people. Mine came in bursts. Id get one maybe once a fortnight where id just curl up and cry/eat and try and figure out what is wrong with me. whereas i know people can be literally stuck in their room afraid to come out.

If you feel wrong you go to a doctor or look it up online. The amount of times ive looked up illnesses online only to conclude ive got cancer and about 7 weeks left to live is ridiculous.  And a GP who usually doesnt know you on a 121 basis ie knows you only by looking at a file cant really decide or question you upon the matter.

I personally despise tumblr (although ive made a few amazing friends on there). And the amount of kids that had assumed they were trans was ridiculous, id say about 80-90% werent and thats because they 'transitioned' back. Im not joking being transgender was a TREND on tumblr. Those that decided to go back had assumed that because they didnt like a certain type of clothing, usually a skirt. mentally linked it with everything female. note this trend was for FtMs not MtFs.

By the time you are 15/16 you know a lot of things but not everything, and certainly not yourself. I assumed i was transgender at that age and fortunately i was correct but not everyone is. Past the age of 18/21 do whatever the hell you so please, it is your life and you should be able to figure out whats wrong with you, however if you make the wrong assumption dont sue others for trying to help you.

depression and schizophrenia can be misdiagnosed as GID if you do it online and by yourself. I think a therapist's diagnosis, with open questions should be the way forward, as multiple choice can be manipulated by those wanting attention.
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: suzifrommd on March 30, 2015, 08:19:40 AM

Doc: I'm a bit concerned about the things you've been saying.

Johnny: Like what.

Doc: About how you're a man, always been a man, and plan on living the rest of your life as a man.

Johnny: Well, I am a man. I've always known that.

Doc: It sounds to me like you might be saying you're cisgender.

Johnny: Of course. I was born with a male body and I want to live as a man.

Doc: I really think you should talk to a therapist about this. A lot goes into deciding whether you're cisgender. It's not the sort of thing you should do on your own.

Johnny: Why not? I like being a man. I play football. I go out with girls. Why wouldn't I be cisgender.

Doc: I'm not saying you're not cis. I'm saying that you should look more carefully at it. Are you sure you don't just want an opportunity to do the things that men do? Like play football and date women. You could do those things as a woman, you know.

Johnny: But I've always wanted to be a man. Isn't that enough to know I'm cis?

Doc: You really want to be screened for a mental illness. There are a number of conditions that might make someone think they're cisgender when they're not.

Johnny: This is crazy. I'm a man. I've always been a man. I have a male body. Are you telling me I need a therapist to tell me I'm cisgender?

Doc: It's not just that. Being cisgender is hard. Cisgender people are under a lot of pressure. Cisgender men can be required to serve in the army. Cis men are under a lot of pressure to get married and have kids. And the statistics are grim. Over 90% of crime victims are cisgender. Also more than 90% of car accident victims. It can be hard to find love as a cisgender person. 50%, 50% mind you, of cisgender marriages end in divorce. Don't you think a therapist could help you deal with the difficulties involved in choosing to be cis?

Johnny: I'm not choosing to be cis. I AM cis.

Doc: Maybe. I'm just suggesting that you talk to someone before choosing that lifestyle. It's just not natural. God has given us HRT and SRS because He wants us to choose how we live. Just deciding to be cis without carefully weighing those alternatives is simply not natural. Especially since cisgender people face such a world of difficulty. I'll give you the name of one of the top gender therapists. At least tell me you'll think about seeing him.

Thanks for that fun alternate reality check Suzi!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

jeni

I really don't think of realizing that I was transgender as "self-diagnosing." For me anyway, it is a question of identity, not an illness. In the absence of confounding issues that generally prevent clear thinking, I don't see how anyone can diagnose this for someone else.

Therapists can be enormously helpful in doing this, but their role really ought to be to provide support. In my case, therapy absolutely helped me come to grips with feelings I'd been suppressing for decades. But I never once discussed these issues with my therapist until the day I started a session by telling him that I was transgender. The help I got was in terms of understanding myself, trusting my feelings, and trusting others enough to be able to come out.

(Note: with regard to the "confounding issues" I refer to, I don't believe and I don't think it's been suggested that one cannot be both transgender and have a serious mental illness, or that a mental illness ought to be a contraindication to medical treatments. But in that case, I think some extra care should be taken to see that independent illnesses are being treated and that the person is in a state to understand what is going on.)
-=< Jennifer >=-

•  

kelly_aus

Quote from: jeni on March 30, 2015, 01:49:10 PM
(Note: with regard to the "confounding issues" I refer to, I don't believe and I don't think it's been suggested that one cannot be both transgender and have a serious mental illness, or that a mental illness ought to be a contraindication to medical treatments. But in that case, I think some extra care should be taken to see that independent illnesses are being treated and that the person is in a state to understand what is going on.)

The WPATH SoC's do require that other issues are 'well managed', but don't prevent someone from moving forward if they are..
  •  

marsh monster

I was diagnosed with gd by a panel of stuffed animals, it was unanimous with the cow abstaining...
  •  

Rejennyrated

Firstly the DSM V no longer lists it as a "disorder" and hence there is, from a medical POV technically and strictly speaking nothing to diagnose.

Secondly while the WHO ICD10 still has it listed, it will soon be updated and is likely to also remove the "disorder" element.

Thirdly even while there is a disorder listed, there is no formal diagnostic test beyond observation of a persons affect and apparent mental state pre and post transition. Thus there is no magic wand that any doctor (or maybe even I as a future clinician) could wave to make a diagnosis on someone else's behalf.

In essence this becomes a diagnosis of exclusion. You rule out everything else, then treat empirically and watch to see if the patient improves.

Thus while I agree that some profeesional guidance is often going to be beneficial, its not always completely indispensible. As for mistaking depression or schizophrenia for this, while I can see where that fear might come from, it's actually less common than you might imagine. Those conditions have unmistakable hall marks of their own, although in the case of depression its not an uncommon comorbitity to find with GID.
  •  

jeni

Quote from: kelly_aus on March 30, 2015, 03:54:32 PM
The WPATH SoC's do require that other issues are 'well managed', but don't prevent someone from moving forward if they are..
Yeah, that was the phrasing I was thinking about. I think it's a good principle, not just for treating GD but really for any significant change.
-=< Jennifer >=-

•  

Dee Marshall

True, Rejennyrated, DSM V doesn't list being transgender, as is only right. It does list gender dysphoria, which is a good thing or insurance companies would list ALL of our treatments as medically unnecessary. Managing a psych rehab I saw almost as many truly mentally ill people who occasionally self described as transgender with absolutely no other indicators and a tendency to recant frequently as I saw people who were definitely transgender. Some of our clients tended to jump on whatever bandwagon was current. Which is why I didn't discuss my own condition with them. Near as I can see the rules exist for three reasons. To protect seriously Ill people from doing things they'll quickly regret, to help people who are transgender through a very trying time in their lives, and to protect doctors from lawsuits.

Sadly, many people working in the mental health field tend to pathologize unusual but healthy conditions. They see being gay or trans, among other things, as symptoms of deeper illness rather than outlying healthy behavior. I suspect that had a bit to do with my recent job loss, but I have no proof and we're not a protected minority in NY anyway.

•