Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Scars- options, also holistic methods?

Started by Aazhie, April 01, 2015, 06:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aazhie

Hi!  I am just wondering if anyone here has used any "natural" type scar treatments that they like?  I have used Emu oil for quite a few things and I like finding out about cool new techniques for wound care.  It sounds like there might be a few people on the forum who have more experience with this kind of thing. 

Mostly I am not loving the idea of tape over fresh incisions 8(  I know it's not tape in the traditional sense but the thought creeps me out a bit.  i was wondering if anyone has recommendations for good topical products! If you used a more traditional scar away stuff I am totally interested in hearing about anything and everything!

thanks!
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Johnny Cash
  •  

Blush

Are you talking about preventing new scars from currently healing wounds, or scar reduction from previous wounds?

Scars are newly formed collagen fibers from skin piecing itself back together after being cut or damaged. If it's a cut, like from a surgery, the best option is tape or surgical glue - it keeps the edges of the skin pressed together and means less surface area that needs to be healed (scarred). I don't know of options for previous scar appearance reduction, I'm in the market for some though.
  •  

Julo

I had laser two days ago to take away a tattoo and I asked him if there is anything laser can do for scars. He said it´s possible to make them less visible and softer. He does different kinds of laser treatments for skin and I don´t know what exact technique he was talking about. I might try it some day as I have a huge scar over my belly with hard scar tissue and I would really like it to be softer. Also the one over my clit is annoyingly hard.

For new wounds and small cuts I have used natural Calendula officinalis ointment. Apparently in the US it´s not strong enough thou. But I love that stuff and many kinds of skin stuff heals much faster.
  •  

2cherry

I am afraid not... besides TIME? massaging scars can be effective, and seems to be the only treatment that can diminish certain scars.

Some are more prone to "ugly" scarring than others. Depends on the person, genes, skin type, surgical technique, nutrition and so forth. I don't think scars can be treated with creams from the outside effectively enough. Since most creams will never ever reach the lower layers anyway. The skin is like leather, a perfect barrier through which only micro/nano particles can penetrate. Not even water can enter the skin. Those who say otherwise are selling snake oil.

I would rather bet on treating it from the inside: healthy eating. Surgical revision can be the final option, but that too creates a scar. Tattooing the scar be also be done. But it is my guess it cannot be completely removed.

1977: Born.
2009: HRT
2012: RLE
2014: SRS
2016: FFS
2017: rejoicing

focus on the positive, focus on solutions.
  •  

Aazhie

Quote from: Blush on April 02, 2015, 12:50:22 PM
Are you talking about preventing new scars from currently healing wounds, or scar reduction from previous wounds?

Scars are newly formed collagen fibers from skin piecing itself back together after being cut or damaged. If it's a cut, like from a surgery, the best option is tape or surgical glue - it keeps the edges of the skin pressed together and means less surface area that needs to be healed (scarred). I don't know of options for previous scar appearance reduction, I'm in the market for some though.

New scars from healing!  I think the doctor will be recommending things.  It sounds like keeping things moisturized with a good product is the key once the incisions are actually healed so I'll just do what research I can :D
You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space.
Johnny Cash
  •  

Lady Smith

Vitamin E oil is good for all kinds of scaring.  That's what I use.
  •