Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Jury duty

Started by Amy1988, April 13, 2015, 02:58:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy1988

I have jury duty next Monday.  I wonder how they will react to me.  I wonder if they will disqualify me.  Kind of hope they do. 
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Amy1988 on April 13, 2015, 02:58:32 PM
I have jury duty next Monday.  I wonder how they will react to me.  I wonder if they will disqualify me.  Kind of hope they do.

Not guaranteed.  Most courts have policies in place regarding the safety and dignity of transgender jurors.   The last time I received a summons under my original name, had a legal name change but still had to serve.  I changed my name in their system as I reported, and that was that.  I was just like any other woman there.

I would not have had to serve on the particular jury I was considered for that day because I knew who the famous defandant was.  Usually I get out of it because my wife and I know a lot of the attorneys and judges in Los Angeles personally.
  •  

Joelene9

Just be honest. There are other things that may disqualify jurors in the minds of the judge and the attorneys present. Each case, wether it is a criminal or civil one has its own needs. My last one I was called on involved a cashier stealing from the city. Both laywers disqualified anyone who had experience as a cashier. If you get selected for a panel, just relax and follow the instructions. I've been called on 4 times, served twice. Both involving violent crime.

Joelene
  •  

Ms Grace

I guess it will depend on the case. I've never been called up but I hope if I do that I will at least get an interesting case that isn't too harrowing or goes more than a week or two...
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Amy1988

Quote from: Ms Grace on April 13, 2015, 06:11:16 PM
I guess it will depend on the case. I've never been called up but I hope if I do that I will at least get an interesting case that isn't too harrowing or goes more than a week or two...

It's civil court so probably a boring law suit.  Anyway I'm a little concerned about bathrooms.  I can't go in the men's room because they will think I'm a girl in the men's room and run me out. 
  •  

Zumbagirl

Quote from: Amy1988 on April 13, 2015, 02:58:32 PM

I have been on jury duty several times. I highly encourage it. It's a great way to see how the criminal justice system works. I was recently on a trial involving a man who robbed a bank and had committed aggravated rape against 2 women. It was really hard to hear the testimony of the women who basically feel like their lives were ruined. It was sobering to hear the testimony. Years before that I was also on a jury trial involving 2 drug dealers (we acquitted one and convicted the other). Thankfully my recent jury experience will excuse me for quite some time now.
  •  

iKate

I would just do it and get it over with.

I've had enough of courts in my lifetime and dealing with criminals and lawyers, and once you serve you won't be called for a number of years.
  •  

Tessa James

Quote from: Amy1988 on April 13, 2015, 08:28:55 PM
It's civil court so probably a boring law suit.  Anyway I'm a little concerned about bathrooms.  I can't go in the men's room because they will think I'm a girl in the men's room and run me out.

I have been called and dismissed and they typically will not give us a reason why.  Honestly I cannot see why you would not use the obviously correct bathroom for women as you definitely don't look like a guy and could be unsafe in the mens room.  A courthouse should be a very safe place for all citizens.
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

awilliams1701

Bring a pair of sunglasses and while everyone is watching, put them on and scream "YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!" (CSI: Miami). It will probably get you out. lol
Ashley
  •  

Dee Marshall

Or arrested. Judges rarely have a sense of humor. Only time I ever wanted out was a rape case. Didn't try to get out of it, but was released anyway.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

awilliams1701

I meant before the case. I thought they did a lot of filtering before you even meet the judge.
Ashley
  •  

iKate

Most judges I've dealt with can see through obvious fakery and many times will just put you to sit on the jury. Lots of people do not want jury duty and they know that. The worst part is not being paid your full salary from your job, which if they did would probably encourage Moore people
  •  

Dee Marshall

Quote from: awilliams1701 on April 15, 2015, 03:55:31 PM
I meant before the case. I thought they did a lot of filtering before you even meet the judge.
Not here. They call in a crowd of people send jury's worth, plus some extras to the courtroom, then the lawyers ask you questions in front of the judge.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Joelene9

Quote from: Dee Walker on April 15, 2015, 08:02:43 PM
Not here. They call in a crowd of people send jury's worth, plus some extras to the courtroom, then the lawyers ask you questions in front of the judge.
Same thing here. My last jury case, The judge came in with all of the actors and said that he had the whole jury pool that was there on that day. This was a first degree murder for hire case. He gave us all a questionnare for the first filter and we had to fill it out and mail it to the jury commission. This is not unusal for a case like that. We then got a report date mailed back to us and the further jury selection was given then. I ended up on that jury. This was a death penalty case. But the SCOTUS ruled on the day before the deliberation that a death penalty award cannot be done by a judge or the 3 judge panel in my state at the time. So no death penality was awarded in that case. We found that defendant guilty on the 3 different charges associated to the first degree murder charge.
  On my last Denver summons, I was to go online on the weekend before my summons date and see if my juror number was listed. It wasn't. I had one Federal summons. I had to call the number and extension listed in that Federal summons on weekends for one month and listened to the recording. Only one set of numbers was called in my jury group. Not mine.

Joelene
  •