Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

So e.book or 'real' book, - which do you prefer?

Started by Lady Smith, June 12, 2015, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beth Andrea

Physical books....although more than once I tried to use "ctrl+F" to find a particular phrase that I hadn't written down in the frontispiece.
...I think for most of us it is a futile effort to try and put this genie back in the bottle once she has tasted freedom...

--read in a Tessa James post 1/16/2017
  •  

Endless Rain

•  

BeverlyAnn

I love printed books but after my shoulder surgery holding a thick hardback book becomes painful after a while. So I have to say now I prefer either my Nook or my Kindle for long spells of reading.
Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much. - Oscar Wilde

•  

SarahMarie1987

Print books for me.

And not because I work for a library! Lol.

There is something wonderful about a printed book. There is the tactile feeling you get when you turn a page, a smell (when the book is old or new), and the sound of flipping pages is lovely.

The only downside, for me, is that some of the newer books being printed tend to have smaller font. Puts a lot of strain on my eyes (which are bad from being born 3 months early). But I have discovered the joys of larger print books! Lol.
"I'm learning to be brave in my beautiful mistakes"- Pink
  •  

Tamika Olivia

Ebook, most definitely. Print always leaves my fingers feeling dry and dusty. And, I like the option of carrying around a library and a bookstore in my hands, purse, or backpack. I'm not averse to reading on screens, so I'm even okay with an iPad or phone app over a dedicated reader.

I'm also stuck 9 hours a day in a dull office job, so I have a strong preference for audio books. My audible library is huge and I add 3 or 4 books a month to it.
  •  

amberwaves

I strongly prefer the physical book.  I have a hard time contracting with ebooks and find myself constantly checking my email, etc.  With an actual book I am focused and able to quickly devour the contents.  That being said I do prefer to read academic journal articles on a computer screen, but that is usually because I'm gleaning rather than reading for enjoyment.
  •  

oneoftwo

Really like the ability to cut and past quotes and send to friends - -  using e-Books.
  •  

Deborah

I prefer audio books because I listen to them when I am outside walking and running.  I listened to over 100 history books that way and became a walking encyclopedia of European history knowledge, LOL.  Lately, I've been listening to University level lectures on various subjects.  Other than that I much prefer e-books because my library is always in my pocket.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Eevee

I honestly prefer the feel of a real book in my hands. It makes the experience of reading far more enjoyable to me. I also love that once you are done with a real book, you can hand it over to someone else so they can enjoy it as well.

However, I usually use my paperwhite kindle now for the sake of convenience. They really are convenient in so many ways. You can have all of your books in one little device you can carry everywhere, and storage on shelves is no longer an issue. If you forget to take it with you, you can load them on your phone or computer as well. Is it dark in the room? Turn on the backlight. Having trouble finding that book you want to read at any store you go to? Simple; just download it onto your device.

Now I won't say that a ebook of any sort will ultimately replace a physical book. If it's not too much trouble, I will absolutely get a physical copy. Otherwise I will enjoy what technology can do for me.

Eevee

Because its genetic makeup is irregular, it quickly changes its form due to a variety of causes.

•  

Aubrey1day

I prefer hard back books specifically. Though perhaps only because it appeals to some romantic and equally nerdy side of me. Probably more the latter than the former.

"The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance." - Alan Watts
  •  

SonadoraXVX

Real books for the simple reason I don't have to rely on technology, at work I read all the time on my desktop pc(when technology goes down, no can work or read), which is ok, but for personal or academic development, printed books all the way(I'd go mad if my personal/academic books would disappear). Not many ebooks in academia for that matter, popular books, eh, prefer the printed book, with the exception of the newspaper, I like to read the enewspaper.

90% printed books/10% ebooks/enewspapers
To know thyself is to be blessed, but to know others is to prevent supreme headaches
Sun Tzu said it best, "To know thyself is half the battle won, but to know yourself and the enemy, is to win 100% of the battles".

•  

Jayne

Real books every time for me, I have around 150+ books & I read every day.

Here's an interesting fact gleamed from QI, there is a form of fungus that develops on the paper & it is believed that this can have mild hallucinogenic effect, it isn't strong enough to cause visions but this is why (apparently) the smell of old books can have a calming effect on those who read regularly.
I have to admit that the smell of old books always puts me into a calm state of mind so this theory holds sway with me.

http://waningmoon.com/publications/news/book-fungus-can-get-you-high.html

I'll just mention again, the only known effect is a calming one so don't get yourself thrown out of your library for sniffing the books 😁
  •  

Ka_123

Quote from: Jayne on February 29, 2016, 11:08:02 AM
Real books every time for me, I have around 150+ books & I read every day.

Here's an interesting fact gleamed from QI, there is a form of fungus that develops on the paper & it is believed that this can have mild hallucinogenic effect, it isn't strong enough to cause visions but this is why (apparently) the smell of old books can have a calming effect on those who read regularly.
I have to admit that the smell of old books always puts me into a calm state of mind so this theory holds sway with me.

http://waningmoon.com/publications/news/book-fungus-can-get-you-high.html

I'll just mention again, the only known effect is a calming one so don't get yourself thrown out of your library for sniffing the books 😁

so interesting!! i much prefer paper books too! can't stare a screen for more than 10 minutes
  •  

Rufio

I'm more comfortable with ebooks. A frustrating amount of books are typeset in such a way that they're migraine triggers for me, and with ebooks I can fiddle with the contrast, spacing and so on until they're comfortable. Until recently I worked in a library, and I still get the vast majority of my reading material from there, ebooks included. Still, it's a lot easier to grab a hard copy of a newer title than wait for the ebook or audio version to be added. I just need to make sure to page through a bit to make sure I'll be able to read it.
  •  

SophiaBleu

Nothing beats the feel of a book in my hands. but the e-reader is practical on long trips. Unless you are Rory from Gilmore Girls, then you carry 12 books on your European Vacation! ;D
They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority.
              Gerald Massey

•  

vanderpn

Quote from: AnonyMs on June 13, 2015, 12:32:37 AM
ebook for fiction, paper for textbooks

I'm the opposite. I like paper books for fiction and ebooks for nonfiction/academics. I like having a search functionality for research, but I love the feeling of holding a book when I read a story.

Quote from: Deborah on February 22, 2016, 01:35:45 AM
I prefer audio books because I listen to them when I am outside walking and running.

Audio books are great for long car rides too, back when I was commuting to class all the time.
  •  

sigsi

Real books, always. I never had a kindle, but read a pdf book on my laptop once. It wasn't bad, and I liked the mobility and easiness of just opening it up whenever and reading. But as a few others said, I couldn't focus while on my computer long term. Not to mention the lighting making my eyes buggy (I'm on computer/video games way too much). Besides those facts, I like to display my books and always have them there just to pick up and read again. I also like the flipping of pages as I progress through the book. :)
To be who you want to be 
and generally happy,
 is better than to be who you're not 
while living in mental pain.
  •  

WarGrowlmon1990

I'll always prefer material books over digital ones. The smell of a brand new book has been one of my favorite smells since I can remember. I love the feeling of the pages and find it to be more relaxing than reading off a bright screen.
  •  

ToniB

absolutely e-books I read at least 10 books a week sometimes I have 2 or 3 on the go at one time so my kindle is My favourite possesion
The girl inside is just as important expecially to Yourself :)
  •  

arice

Ebook. I read a ton of them.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

•