Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Fear/jealousy/envy/dislike or other negative feelings amongst cisgender men

Started by Tristyn, July 31, 2015, 06:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tristyn

So yeah...I totally felt like washed over by all of the above emotions in this thread's title. Am I wrong for it? Does anyone else here feel like that? Are there any MtFs who feel this way among cisgender women as I do among cisgender men? I kinda hope so, just to feel in company and on the same page as those who are similar to me in that way. But in a way I hope not, cause these emotions became so powerful today as I entered and became part of this really great barber shop today, that they were nearly suffocating me. :-X

My hypothesis on the origin of these bad feelings, is that they are coping/defense mechanisms from gender dysphoria. No, I am not sayin I am the first ever to think of this. I am certain there are others here and abroad who share this view too.

I mean, the haircut was sharp and sweet to the touch! 8) I feel so on fire. Not only because of my nice trim, but because of how bold I was to step into "forbidden, man-only territory"(women and children are welcomed and all, but I only saw men there and like one very cisgender woman who was there with whom I suppose was her male partner :P). I mean, no one really stared hard at me or were even talking bad about me like I thought they were or would(not so sure about my barber and this other barber, cause they was speaking Spanish but were very festive and laughing before I entered anyway, so I doubt it now, doubted it then and began to relax once I sat in the 'hair-chair,' lol).

Men were just yappin away louder than a room full of women(laughs here, seriously), but I think the noise level and my social anxiety made it challenging for me to really feel at 'home' here and I was constantly on guard and alert for any possible 'troublemakers' with my pepper spray handy in my right pocket, bein' a righty and all. I really kinda think as young and feminine as I appear(especially without my mascara 'beard'), that a lot of guys actually took me as one of them and I absolutely cherished :D :D :D this to a great degree that I celebrated in secret with myself and a beer after I returned home, which I rarely do.

I noticed that when I talk, my social anxiety slowly begins to dissolve, depending on how comfortable and how easy it is to speak with whomever I am speaking with, even with a few people. But for the time being, I only spoke with my barber and was not too social phobic to even request for his contact number(the barber shop's is not in service, heh) because the dude is a hair cutter beast. He was nice enough to allow me to run across the street(a very large one, mind you) to retrieve the haircut fee from an ATM and return back across this magnified street to pay him his money then I tipped him on top of that.

Man I felt so good. There is no turnin' back now. Plus my hair has never been cut shorter I think and yet, never ever looked this #$%^ good. ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

But those bad feelings still creep up on me every time I get around guys...the more macho they are, the stronger the bad feelings get. I think if I expose myself to men more often, like a puppy being desensitized to lighting, then I will feel these disheartening emotions with less intensity to the point where it barely poses a threat to my inner self. Which would be totally wicked awesome, yo?

So what are your thoughts, ya'll? Hurl 'em at me like a right hook thrown from "Iron" Mike Tyson himself. Lol.

P.S. Here are some pics of my stud-fade hair cut....Not much of a photographer of selfies(or anything really), so I'm sorry if these pics are straight @#$ quality, unlike my hair cut.

image ru

take a screenshot

image hosting site

free image hosting

image hosting 12mb

image hosting 12mb
  •  

FriendsCallMeChris

Congrats on the the haircut and on fitting in.  I think I know what you mean.  While I have always felt more at ease around a group of guys, there are some guys who I just feel uncomfortable around.  I was in a workshop for work yesterday and maybe figured out the difference.  Just like there are mean girl cliques (at all ages) there are mean boy cliques.  Most of the guys in the room, I was okay with.  But there was one guy I didn't  even talk to, but I just didn't like the vibe he gave.   If he had been in a group of his buddies, and I was  stuck in that group, I would't have felt comfortable.  Does this fit with how you react sometimes?

PS, I got a  new haircut last weekend, too.  Not on purpose, though. I went in for my usual short but conservative cut and ended up w/ a boy band hair cut w/ shaved  sides and long top because the stylist either didn't listen or made a mistake and tried to fix it.  Not really my style.  I thought I'd get a few snickers at work, but no one even raised an eyebrow.  So maybe it's more my style than I thought?  And now, I'm kinda liking it.
Chris
  •  

panther

Cut is on point!

And I feel what you're saying. For me I think my comfortability had a lot to do with the atmosphere of the barber shop. I'm mixed, and I had no prob going into a white barber shop but I used to get really nervous going into a black barber shop. I think we're socialized to believe in stupid stereotypes of masculinity that are somehow influenced by race and ethnicity. I think black and brown trans guys somehow can feel like we're not man enough for our race - yet at the same point in time there are men on every point in the masc/feminine spectrum in every community. I personally felt like white cishet society told me I had to choose between my dark skin or my trans-ness, like the two couldn't coexist.

Sorry if I'm projecting at all, def not my intention. But sometimes I find that many cis guys are more sentient to gender stereotypes than is overtly talked about, and especially MOC who think about their place in society as men of color.
  •  

Tristyn

Quote from: FriendsCallMeChris on August 01, 2015, 08:20:55 AM
Congrats on the the haircut and on fitting in.  I think I know what you mean.  While I have always felt more at ease around a group of guys, there are some guys who I just feel uncomfortable around.  I was in a workshop for work yesterday and maybe figured out the difference.  Just like there are mean girl cliques (at all ages) there are mean boy cliques.  Most of the guys in the room, I was okay with.  But there was one guy I didn't  even talk to, but I just didn't like the vibe he gave.   If he had been in a group of his buddies, and I was  stuck in that group, I would't have felt comfortable.  Does this fit with how you react sometimes?

PS, I got a  new haircut last weekend, too.  Not on purpose, though. I went in for my usual short but conservative cut and ended up w/ a boy band hair cut w/ shaved  sides and long top because the stylist either didn't listen or made a mistake and tried to fix it.  Not really my style.  I thought I'd get a few snickers at work, but no one even raised an eyebrow.  So maybe it's more my style than I thought?  And now, I'm kinda liking it.

Yeah, Chris, I feel ya man. That reaction you had with that one guy outside the group of other guys you talked about would have gave me the willies too! :o Look out for that dude. I guess maybe this is one female aspect we transmen have; intuition. Be very careful. This why I took my pepper spray, yo. But I really suggest the LGBTQA community make our own fighting style, haha. So we can crack dummies like him upside the head like a piggy bank! >:( ;D :D

I'm glad in the end you are taking a liking to your new hairstyle/cut. That's what matters. Beauty/handsomeness is in the eye of the beholder, as they say.

Quote from: panther on August 01, 2015, 11:29:49 AM
Cut is on point!

And I feel what you're saying. For me I think my comfortability had a lot to do with the atmosphere of the barber shop. I'm mixed, and I had no prob going into a white barber shop but I used to get really nervous going into a black barber shop. I think we're socialized to believe in stupid stereotypes of masculinity that are somehow influenced by race and ethnicity. I think black and brown trans guys somehow can feel like we're not man enough for our race - yet at the same point in time there are men on every point in the masc/feminine spectrum in every community. I personally felt like white cishet society told me I had to choose between my dark skin or my trans-ness, like the two couldn't coexist.

Sorry if I'm projecting at all, def not my intention. But sometimes I find that many cis guys are more sentient to gender stereotypes than is overtly talked about, and especially MOC who think about their place in society as men of color.

Thanks, Panther! :D

Dude, you speak my language. I would probably chicken out of going inside an all-black barber shop. For some reason, they(black cisgender men) appear more intimidating than others and prolly cause of what you said about them stupid #$% stereotypes they follow for bein' a "real" man. >.>

"Cishet".....haha...good one. But honestly, our race as being of color and men absolutely have to coexist. However, IMO, we get it even worst than other types of transmen or cisgender men for that matter. :-\
  •  

AlexW

Nice haircut!

I don't know if this is what you mean. I feel like this, but not always about 'troublemakers', like my sisters boyfriend is a pretty nice, chill guy, but for some reason he rises my hackles like crazy. My pride issues, I acknowledge that I have them, are usually under control with most guys, but this guy just sets them the heck off. Sometimes it's just him nodding with this amused look on his face like he's humoring me that just makes me want to punch him. My sister has had a lot of boyfriends, some more 'macho' than this guy, and I've had several good male friendships that haven't set me off, so I don't know why some guys just get to me.
  •  

Tristyn

Quote from: AlexW on August 04, 2015, 06:12:54 PM
Nice haircut!

I don't know if this is what you mean. I feel like this, but not always about 'troublemakers', like my sisters boyfriend is a pretty nice, chill guy, but for some reason he rises my hackles like crazy. My pride issues, I acknowledge that I have them, are usually under control with most guys, but this guy just sets them the heck off. Sometimes it's just him nodding with this amused look on his face like he's humoring me that just makes me want to punch him. My sister has had a lot of boyfriends, some more 'macho' than this guy, and I've had several good male friendships that haven't set me off, so I don't know why some guys just get to me.

What up, Alex?

Yeah, dawg, that's exactly what I meant by troublemakers. Like guys that just set us the f off!>.< I saw a dude like this at my dialysis center the other day. I could feel his judgmental eyes on me, as if it were funny to him that this wannabe petite "man"(me) was walkin' around "tryin'" to act tough with my black leather biker(woman's :-\) jacket, baggy Stone Cold T-Shirt, loose-fitting jeans, and Chucks on. I wanted to f him up like he was a Thanksgiving Turkey. :P >:( ;D(Yeah, just had a mixture of irrelevant emotions sweep over me from the thought of doing that, lol :laugh:) But even that would be an insult to turkey! ::)
  •  

Maleth

Dude, your cut is lookin' SHARP on you!!

I agree with what the other guys have said so far in the thread.

Try to hold you head up high, chin up, and stand your ground. It's easier said than done but the feeling is great if you have a lot of confidence and don't let anyone trample that. I totally understand where you're coming from as a guy who gets a lot of stares (this is because I'm not very masculine and still androgynous looking as I'm Pre-T.. so in a conservative country people are bound to stare).

Don't let the stares get to you, and if you don't give them that power then they won't have that over you. Remember, chin up.  :)
~Maleth
  •  

Tristyn

That's what's up, Maleth! ;D

I would give you a rep point for that. What you said really made my day. That's why its what's on the inside that really counts as far as the confidence. I think you could not have said truer words. Thanks, man.  :icon_yes:

P.S. You like Final Fantasy(FF) too? I noticed you got an avatar of a FF VIII character. ;D
  •  

Maleth

Quote from: King Phoenix on August 06, 2015, 07:42:26 AM
That's what's up, Maleth! ;D

I would give you a rep point for that. What you said really made my day. That's why its what's on the inside that really counts as far as the confidence. I think you could not have said truer words. Thanks, man.  :icon_yes:

P.S. You like Final Fantasy(FF) too? I noticed you got an avatar of a FF VIII character. ;D

Yeah, confidence can go a long way, and so can respect. If you respect yourself, other people (and especially guys) will see that and respect you too.

I'm glad my words cheered you up a bit and were at least a little bit useful. That makes me very happy in return!

On a side note, I haven't played any of the Final Fantasy games, though I do have some general knowledge of the characters (i.e. Leon, Cloud, Zack, Sephiroth) due to having played Kingdom Hearts. I also watched my cousin play some Final Fantasy.. It was the one with Tidus in it. No idea which number though.

Cheers!
~Maleth
  •  

steyraug96

Quote from: King Phoenix on August 04, 2015, 10:06:18 AM
Yeah, Chris, I feel ya man. That reaction you had with that one guy outside the group of other guys you talked about would have gave me the willies too! :o Look out for that dude. I guess maybe this is one female aspect we transmen have; intuition. Be very careful. This why I took my pepper spray, yo. But I really suggest the LGBTQA community make our own fighting style, haha. So we can crack dummies like him upside the head like a piggy bank! >:( ;D :D
[...]

Going for "our own fighting style" wouldn't make much sense.  too much trial and error involved.
Find someplace that teaches Krav Maga, or go for boxing.  Spetznatz used boxing, as did the German army, especially SS; they are both still considered some of the pinnacles of fighting. Wrestling would also be good, but I haven't found many places that do that; maybe find an MMA gym? Focus on striking first for the mental side, but don't ignore grappling. BJJ would be good, and there are some chinese arts that might blend well - but I don't know them by name. Ichin Yo I think was one; don't quote me on that name, though. You MIGHT be able to benefit from Wing Chun kung fu, depending on your body type. Wing Chun was developed by a woman; if you're a "sneaky" or "crafty" type with narrow shoulders, it might work well.  Also, it worked well for Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan. (Base arts for both, IIRC.)
Combine that with a grappling kung fu, might be even more fearsome than Krav Maga and BJJ...  ;-) 

What I've picked up on the manosphere sites indicates a far greater affinity for hard forms, like Krav or boxing.  They look more at, "this is what it's like to get hit," which is something most GM (Genetic Males) don't really get today. Men are NOT the "privileged class," no matter what we're told. And most natural instincts are now felonies, or near to. (E.G., drunken bar fight, no serious injuries --> Felony assault record for all involved. This can INCLUDE self-defense.) 

Anyway - the attitude that shines through from being rolled around a few times, learning your techniques? Nothing will match it, it separates you into a different class of man. Lots of sites to find out more, all OT for here, so PM me if you want some links.  ;-)
  •  

Maleth

To add to what Steyraug96 has said, I want to say that I personally train in Krav Maga (~1 year in September) and have recently taken up BJJ more seriously. I definitely recommend Krav Maga as a great start for self defense and also it's great for personal fitness. Diet also plays into fitness a huge deal, but combine that with a kickass workout from a martial art and you may see some muscle growth. Though weightlifting is also good for strength training + muscle mass gain.

But in terms of self defense, I 100% recommend Krav Maga.

Add a grappling art like BJJ/JJ and that'll be complimentary to your "hard" training (as Stey has worded it). It's like the cherry on top.

If you're looking to do BJJ or Krav Maga, or really any other martial art out there, be sure to research your school. But yeah, if you're further interested send me a PM.  :)
~Maleth
  •