Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

SRS/GRS - Experiences

Started by stephanie_craxford, December 29, 2005, 08:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie_craxford

In a recent post in this forum DawnL commented on how she is feeling as she approaches the day for her surgery.  Given the feedback to her post I was wondering if there are those of you who are post-op who would like to write a short post here, commenting on your own experience, feelings just prior to surgery and just after.

I realise that for many this is a very personal issue and I will fully understand there being no replies.  But I'm hoping
:)
Steph

P.S.  Please avoid posting remarks or comments to the posts...  :)
  •  

Leigh

The day before I was to get on the airplane.  Sheer terror.  I had $7K in travelers checks hidden in my bedroom and couldn't find them.  If I had been prone to a heart attack I would be dead now.  I tore the rooom apart, nothing.  Had a cup of coffee and did it again, still nothing. One more time.  I took every piece of cothing out of the closet and went through each pocket to see if I had hid them there.  Dumped every drawer on the bed and went through the stuff one article at a time, nothing.  Under the mattresses, moved furniture, behind pictures--still nothing.  I had my passport, SS card, BC, everything except the money.  Where was it so that I would not forget it?--in my suitcase.

When the plane started to move the tears came-it was actually going to happen and the same happened when the plane landed in Phuket, Thailand.

my Dr asked right before I went out if I was ready for this.  My reply was "I have been ready for this all my life".  When I woke up he was standing there with a smile on his face and bent over and kissed me on my forehead.  He wasn't a man at that time but angel of mercy.

Up and walking the second day after surgery (first stage). Out shopping the next day with the cath bag swinging like an udder under my skirt.  Twelve days after the second stage, riding around Phuket on the back of a scooter suicidally driven by one of the nurses from the hospital (we were going bowling).  Wondering how ironic it was to play pool in a bar called O'Malleys, owned by a guy from Sweden in Thailand.

•  

Dennis

I had some trepidation about how I was going to react to anaesthetic because it'd been 27 years since I was last drugged into unconsciousness. I was really excited about the surgery. No doubts, but I did wonder what it was going to look like and whether it was going to hurt.

As it turned out, I had no problem at all with the anaesthetic, there was no pain, and I'm happy with how my chest looks. At least I don't have to worry about anaesthetic when I finally get bottom surgery.

Dennis
  •  

Northern Jane

["Short". SHORT???? LOL! The one thing I am NOT when it comes to telling a story is "short"!]

[I have written the story of my life, up to SRS, in book form, two volumes and over 1,000 pages, for possible publication after my death. The 8 months leading up to SRS ALONE comprise about 5 chapters and would make a captivating full-length movie! The best I can do is try for the Cole's Notes version ;-) ]

In the fall of 1973 I was 24 years old and in DEEP depression. I had lived more than 10 years in a "dual life", on and off hormones, and was as sure as I could be that I was a woman in a deformed body. I had been evaluated by the Psych department at a major hospital who had given me the green light to do whatever I felt best but there was no hope of SRS. The only active surgical centre was in Morocco and the surgical cost was about 3X the gross annual income of a blue collar worker (not including transportation and accommodations). The other surgical programs in northern Europe had shut down and there were only a few centres in the U.S. that had "experimented" with SRS and they were not open to new patients. A few "nut case" patients had caused a medical backlash against the idea of SRS as a solution to transsexualism and only a VERY few post-ops were public and reasonably sane as women. I had some money invested but only about 10% of what I would need to go to Morocco. Living en femme full time was not really an option in 1974. Laws were primitive and there was almost no understanding of the TS condition. So I was "stuck".

In the fall of 1973, I told my understanding and sympathetic gynaecologist that I did not expect to live to see my 25th birthday (the following summer). I had already come close to suicide a few times and I knew that it was only a matter of weeks before I would take decisive action - I just couldn't go on the way things were. I had come close to self-mutilation a couple of times but bleeding to death on the floor seemed a hard way to go. One night I put a bullet in a gun, put it to my head, and pulled the trigger. It misfired, it didn't go off. A voice in the back of my mind said "Not yet. Hold on a little longer." So I did.

In the opening weeks of 1974 I got a phone call late one night from a TS friend. She lived in Toronto and moved in the TS circle there (which was the best source of information in those days). She called to say that she had just discovered Dr. Biber in Colorado and was at the airport waiting to catch the plane to Denver. The last thing she did was to call me and give me his phone number. I spent the rest of the night reviewing my finances to see if I could raise the money for SRS with Dr. Biber - I had about half of what I would need,

I phoned Dr. Biber's office the following morning to find out what they needed from me and then phoned the hospital to have my medical records and psych evaluation sent to Dr. Biber. Shortly after my medical records arrived in Trinidad, I talked to Dr. Biber in person. He agreed to see me for an office visit and, if he was satisfied then, he would do my surgery. I explained that I didn't have enough money for the full fee. We talked for awhile and he agreed to do the surgery for the sum that I had available. (He was a man of compassion and I expect there were references in my psych file indicating that I was close to the end of my ability to cope. I don't know who got "short changed" on my surgery but somebody put my life ahead of money.)

It took me a few days to shuffle my finances, dump some investments, and "turn a dirty deal" to raise the money I needed, but I already had an appointment with Dr. Biber for the Monday after the Easter weekend (1974).

I left my parents home with one suitcase, all I had to show for 24 years of life, a bank draft, and took an apartment in London - this was to be my recovery nest and the stepping-off point for my new life. I was hardly there long enough to put some food in the fridge and jump on a bus for Detroit. I had an Am-Track reservation from Detroit to Denver and would take the bus from Denver to Trinidad. I was scheduled to arrive in Trinidad early on Easter Monday.

Crossing into the U.S.A. on the bus through the tunnel between Windsor and Detroit the U.S. Customs & Immigration officer came around asking for proof of citizenship. When I opened my wallet to get out my birth certificate, he saw I had only $100 or so in my wallet. He questioned my ability to support myself on $100 - I said I had more funds available through the bank but he didn't buy it. I was NOT about to tell him I was carrying THOUSANDS of dollars in bank drafts and traveler's cheques hidden about my person - I didn't trust him THAT much! If I had told him, they would have wanted to know why I was carrying so MUCH money!

So they turned me back at the tunnel. I immediately hailed a cab and tried to cross via the bridge. Of course the two ports of entry are in contact with each other so I was immediately apprehended at the bridge and sent back to Canada!

I had come SO far - liberation was SO close at hand - I just HAD to get into the U.S.!!!

I returned to London by bus and went straight to the airport. I bought a ticket to Denver via Toronto, changed into my best business attire, picked up a brief case, and jumped on the plane!

U.S. Customs at the Toronto airport was an entirely different story. "Where are you going?" "Denver." "Nature of your visit?" "Business." "How long will you be in the U.S.?" "Two, maybe three weeks." "Ok, away you go." WAHOO!!!

We changed planes in Chicago and headed for Denver as a major storm moved across the Rocky Mountains. After circling Denver for 2 hours, it was announced that we were diverting to Albuquerque as all the airports in the American mid-west had been closed by the storm. The landing in Albuquerque was scary! There was a lot of ice and the plane skidded around on the runway. They didn't let people off in Albuquerque - we were going back to Denver! I said that Albuquerque was as close to my destination as Denver but I guess the airlines had rules about letting people off at an unscheduled stop. We finally arrived in Denver late in the evening, being one of only 3 aircraft that made it in to Denver since the storm started earlier in the day.

I made my way to the bus depot but the taxi driver told me that Denver was closed, no traffic in or out, and that even the trains weren't running! Oh well, I might as well camp at the bus depot and wait for traffic to start moving again.

Sometime around midnight there was an announcement on the PA that the bus to Trinidad had arrived (6 hours late) and would be departing shortly. Holy>-bleeped-<! This was the bus I had intended to take but two days later, when my Am-Track train would have arrived! I was running two days EARLY!

On the bus, the driver stood up and spoke to the passengers. He explained that the roads were officially closed but he intended to TRY to get through. He said we had enough fuel to keep the bus warm for 7 days but if anybody wanted to get off and take a later bus, they could. I didn't move! He was going the right direction and that was all I needed! We drove off into the snow storm and I snuggled down into my seat to sleep.

I awoke early the next morning to the sun streaming in my window and opened my eyes to get my first look at the Rocky Mountains! It was breath-taking! In a few more hours we pulled into Trinidad. I was still two days ahead of schedule so I took a motel room and set out to explore this delightful mountain town.

On Easter Monday, I set off for Dr. Biber's office. His examination was cursory: "Stand up." "Turn around.", a brief pelvic exam "I can work with that." and he gave me instructions to report to the hospital the following afternoon. I checked in to Mt. San Raphael the following afternoon, paid my money, and got settled into my room.

How was I feeling? I had moved heaven and earth to get there! I had been on death's door more than once. I HATED my previous existence and I HATED my deformed body. Even if I had known I was going to die on the operating room table, there was no way on God's green earth I was going to turn back. Even just the adventure of getting here from London was proof of my determination to bring an end to my suffering! GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!

Early the following morning, I was transferred to a Gurney and wheeled down to the O.R. where I was given a sedative in the waiting area. I was then wheeled in to the O.R. put up in the stirrups and Dr. Biber said "Good night." as the anaesthetic put me to sleep.

I first woke up around mid afternoon to see the warm spring Colorado sunshine streaming through my window and lighting up the room in a brilliant yellow. I could feel drug-numbed pain "down there" and I lifted the blankets to peek - I couldn't see anything but bandages - but I could tell that the deformity was finally GONE! I settled back into my pillow and went back to sleep with the biggest SMILE on my face.

Early in the morning on 15 April, 1974, the nightmare ended.

[Life since then has been gloriously wonderful, WAY beyond my wildest dreams. I am more than I ever dreamed I COULD be! Every few years, up until his retirement, I had sent Dr. Biber a letter of appreciation, telling him I am doing well, and thanking him for his compassion. I am 56 and have had a wonderful life - without Dr. Biber, I would have been dead at 24.)

For the full story, you will have to wait and buy my book ;)
  •  

Sheila

I couldn't wait for my surgery date. I had made it about 6 months in advance and in that time I had to get a passport and get my money in order and send some money through the mail to Thailand. I was one busy girl. I had my calendar hanging on the wall with each step I needed to have done, I was doing this for two of us as my partner of 34 years then was going with me. We had to have shots and I had to have another physical and send the results to the Dr. Preecha in Thailand. He was very understanding about my e-mails and all of my questions, sometimes I would ask the question twice. At the time I had been on the Human Rights Commission for the City of Eugene, Oegon and was trying to concentrate there when I knew Christmas was just around the corner. I was also, still invloved, in trying to put Gender Identity into the ordinance. That is a whole other story. So, my mind was going every which way. I really didn't think my partner and I would survive this as I was a basket case. She was my sole support and help me along. I remember going to the airport, my daughter drove us there, and I got the luggage all sent and was told by the guards to settle down as I wanted to make sure everything went well. They were very nice to me. Right behind me in line with his baggage was Rep. DeFazio, I introduced myself to him and we started talking about Gender Identity. He was all for it. He wished me good luck and gave me a hug, he knew who I was as I had been on several committees  with him in my area. When I finally got back to my daughter and her son and my partner, some friends showed up to wish me well. They gave me a card signed by everyone downtown, including the Mayor who voted Gender Identity down. By the time I got settled down on the plane I started to cry and the stewardess asked what was wrong and I told her I was just happy and then I shared my story. I think my partner was going to die. It was the best flight I had ever taken. I was so happy to land in Bangkok, I guess I had this huge smile on my face. We got all settled into a hotel and then went right to the hospital to give all the paper work. I was ready, the next day was the day. The day I had waited for my entire life. I was so high, they gave me some drugs that were suppose to put me to sleep. They didnt and I was wheeled down to the operating room and they putting me into the stirups and I told them I was wide a wake. They told me not for long and that was the last I remember. I woke up in bed with a lot of pressure down there. I didn't have any pain just pressure. I asked my partner what does it look like, she said I don't know can't see, too many bandages. I was out of my bed in about a day in a half and walking around the room. On the fourth day they took the bandages off but kept the catheter. I still had a drip bag, incase I needed to have pain med. The next day the catheter came out and I was free. The doctor came in and said everything is healing fine and when you can pee you can leave and go to the hotel. What an experience that was the peeing. I was a girl. When we got back to the hotel I layed around a little then went down stairs for dinner. The next day had an appointment with dr. and went shopping, sitting down was a chore needed someplace soft. The dr. showed me how to dialate and when and how long. That hurt. I did it and now it don't hurt anymore, just a pain in the neck. I'm so happy with everything and how it turned out. I pass in the showers at the gym I go to. It is like it should have been when I was born. OK I got a little carried away here. Sorry
Love Sheila
  •  

DawnL

Perhaps it's premature of me to reply to this topic but given that my surgery was recent and my experience atypical from what I've read, this may be useful to some of you.  You can look back and note several threads in which I talked about pre-surgical jitters.  Maybe they were normal, maybe they were a sign I wasn't really prepared for the mental and emotional consequences of surgery, frankly I don't know which is true.  Like Leigh, I had one moment of panic when I thought my surgery might be cancelled or postponed due to a scheduling error (in my case) but things worked out in the end.  My jitters did not stop me from putting my life in order, sending the cashiers checks, risking the loss of family who objected to this procedure (my kids still do not know I've had surgery though they suspect), boarding a jet and flying to Albuquerque where a friend met me and drove the final leg to Trinidad.  I slept okay the night before and waited patiently all morning for my afternoon surgery.  Plenty of time to run.  I stayed the course but the nerves went with me right in to the surgical suite.  The anesthesiologist suggested I think of a pleasant place and I imagined myself walking the beach at St Pete in Florida under the hot sun...

Then I was in recovery.  The first day was a drug-induced haze which was just as well.  I didn't feel the anticipated sense of happiness when I looked at that flat expanse of surgical tape down there.  I wondered more what lay beneath.  I was pleased I'd gone through with it--I was certain I'd chicken out.  But I was still left with the jitters.  This was over and done with and I was still worrying about what I'd done?  I should mention that I have chronic post-traumatic stress disorder and sometimes, I suffer pointless doubts and anxieties about many things.  I'm learning to manage my PTSD but it takes time and this was no small thing.

Day three or four, I'm not sure, I had a flat-out panic attack that I'd made a mistake.  Perhaps a reaction to the anesthetic or just me, I don't know.  The next day, I was better, and by the time I left, I had this sense of enormity of what this surgery really meant.  It was huge but I didn't know why.  I couldn't understand why this was so different from FFS--which had changed my face so completely, friends did not recognize me.  That was visible to everyone, this was visible to only me.  Why did this seem so much bigger?

Over time, I was able to sort through my anxieties (I had a more panic attacks and nightmares over the next few weeks) and began to realize they had little to do the physical transformation I had undergone.  I didn't miss that thing at all--I shuddered at the thought of it ever having been there.  Probably as a consequence of my PTSD, I struggled more with having turned healthy tissue into the nasty surgical site I now possessed.  It wasn't pretty and some of my anxiety centered on the healing process.  The rest was anxiety about the relationships in my life, especially with my spouse.  She had stayed this long but surely this surgery would be the last straw...

As usual, I was worried about pointless things.  She's still here.  My kids suspect but they're still talking to me.  My family hasn't been very kind but I'm coming to see that as their problem.  This was a big step, not just in the physical transformation but in a very real legal sense.  My old birth certificate was torn up and a new one issued.  This was light-years beyond my first outing dressed en femme or even the feminization of my face.  Everything up to now was reversible.  This was irrevocable.  Then I realized it wasn't the outcome I feared, but taking the steps to get there.  I'm a woman now and according to the records, I've always been a woman. 

Nothing could've prepared me for this process.  No therapy, no extended real-life test, nothing.  I think even ten years from now I'd have still been worrying about the same things that I did in the past two months.  Most people seem to talk and write about GRS as a simple final step in transition.  They get there, walk through the door, wake up, and move immediately and happily forward.  Nothing has ever been that easy for me.  Only now, almost two months later, is a simple truth finally dawning on me, one that should have always been obvious and evident:  I've always been a woman.  That thought brings a little smile to my face. 

Those steps I feared weren't a matter of choice and I didn't have the option of staying the way I was--that always seemed to end with me driving head-on into a truck.  I have fewer jitters now.  I can't imagine having any regrets a year from now.  I'm just trying figure out how to get on with the rest of my life.

Dawn
  •  

Leigh

Dawn

welcome to the world baby girl.

As soon as you learn to write starting a journal if you haven't already is a good idea.  Its a reality check when you go back a much later and see how you and the world around you has changed.

Leigh
  •