Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Acceptance How did you do it.

Started by LizK, August 16, 2015, 04:30:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LizK

So I thought I would broach this subject with the view to describing where I am at in my journey and to take stock of where I have been and where I am going.  So lets start with a quick background update.

Have had gender issues all my life and knew I was a girl when I was about 5. Long history of denial, self abuse. anger with no real way to direct them at anyone or anything. So I began to internalise it, bury, hide or just plain ignore it. I decided when I was about 16 that I must be as crossdresser because I didn't have any other name for it. When I went Psychiatric Nursing I discovered that there were a few variations and as part of my study completed a project on transsexuals, By the end of it  I knew what I wasn't...no way was I a TS...zip forward 30 years and I have not moved forward but am steadily going backwards.

About 2 years or so ago I experienced a significant drop in my Testosterone levels(didn't know at the time) To me things began to quieten for me, I suddenly began to have some calm. My reaction was to do nothing because I thought I had found my peace. It wasn't perfect but much better. I soon began to get a sore chest and my nipples began to get tender and breast tissue began to grow. I was delighted to say the least...but of course this is not normal and could be doing other damage. Went to Dr had bloods done and as a result discovered I had less testosterone in my system that a normal cis female. Stupidly I agreed to have a T shot, OMG was that awful, was like someone hit the dial on my Dysphoria and cranked it all the way. I have described it like a roaring in my head, but what it actually did was to make me angry and aggressive...I hated it. It has been just over 3 months since I had a T shot and things are starting to settle.

This episode lead me to examine my actions and the real reason for not going to the Dr till really late in the piece. I would have thought that most men would have gone screaming to their Dr in a blind panic if they had started to develop breasts. Not me and why not, so I began to examine for the first time in my life what the hell was going on. I have the constant dialogue, won't look in mirrors, won't look after myself, have weird feelings about my body, very unhappy, feels like a serious part of me is missing, I have the constant thoughts of wanting to be a woman which have not changed since I was a little kid. I also thought about my attempt to transition at 19, the reason I didn't is I didn't know how and neither did anyone else. If I was in the same position now as I was at 19 then this would not even be up for discussion. I would have well and truly been finished by now. Woulda Coulda Shoulda

So here we are 1 year down the track and I am pretty certain where my path lies. I don't think it has ever really wavered, I have lost sight of it at times but it has never left me.

One thing I have not talked about is my Chronic Illness. For the last 7- years or so this has been reasonably well controlled with the exception of a number of random acute episodes. I now believe that a number of these acute attacks have been caused by the stress of the Dysphoria. Stress is one of the biggest precursors for pain flare ups, This in turn means an increase in the amount of medication I am taking. Theses attacks can take me out for 3-4 weeks if they are bad but usually about a week. With less mental energy available to combat the pain it takes a greater toll on me. So I figure if I could remove the stressor then I could improve my pain position as well. There is even a possibility that I could manage with out the implanted pump. Without the stress I will have less flare ups and if I am right it would also account for a number of the mystery flare ups where a cause had not been evident

So here I sit now with an understanding that when I go to therapy its going to be about trying to facilitate what I feel I need to do to live with the Dysphoria. It is not like a typical medical model where you go to the Dr he diagnoses you and gives you a treatment and an ongoing plan. So in order to move forward then I need to be sure about what I want and I am not 100% sure what I want. If I took everyone else out of the equation and it was only me to consider then I would transition without hesitation. But there is a another person/people to consider and that is my partner. I have not been able to tell her that I want to transition fully because it is only something I have recently recognised. I have always had this as a goal in my life but never bothered to acknowledge it. Transition was the driving force to get me too Australia, there was no possibility of doing it in New Zealand. While this was not foremost in my mind I thought about it constantly before I left New Zealand in 1985.
First and foremost before I can tell KM I need to accept this for myself. I can talk about it till I am blue in the face but acceptance is the only way I can move forward with this. Once I accept it then I can tell KM what it is I want to do and move on. Her greatest fear with this has always that I would want to transition. I have always told her I don't know what it is I want to do because I have been confused and never really known in the up front part of my head that is what I want to do.

So how did you deal with acceptance...how did you arrive at a peaceful place, how were you able to accept you needed to transition?

I feel I am so close to something wonderful but I just can't quite get a hold of it yet.

Sarah T

EDIT: I Didn't mean to put this post in this Forum so if its in the wrong/inappropriate place I hope someone can move it.

Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Dena

This may not be the answer you are looking for but I knew medicine wasn't ready for me and even if I could get to the other side of the country for treatment, my family would never be able to afford it so I contained everything and waited. I don't recommend anybody do it this way because I reached the point of suicide and a few more second and I wouldn't be writing this today. I stopped only because I figured it was time to give the medical approach a shot and if that didn't work, I could alway come back and finish the job.

Today it would be far different. Medical help is available most anywhere so the reason I needed to contain it no longer exist. To come to terms with yourself, you need to understand that it isn't going to get any better and will most likely get worst. Your options are to continue living in pain or live in happiness. The sooner you decide to move ahead, the sooner the pain will end. At some point you will have to face the others in your life and there may be problems but nothing in life is perfect and you can't be expected to make life perfect for everybody else. You have your needs as well and it isn't a want but it is a need. I am sure you will continue to support others in your life to the degree that they will accept you but this in one thing that needs to be done for yourself.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Obfuskatie

Ditto with waiting until I was no longer willing to go through life without transitioning.
First, the outcomes of transition are hard to predict and often much better than you fear, depending on how much you can afford to manage. You'll have to navigate how much of what you want. Your wife may or may not stay.
The cruelest response I got was from my partner at the time. I gave up for almost a decade because of it, but everyone else that is important in my life have been pretty accepting and display varying degrees of support.
Nevertheless, transition is hard and stressful, but it is less so than not doing it IMO. There's no easy choice and fix though, I wish there were.

Hugs,
- Katie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •  

LizK

I hear what you are saying Dena...I am facing it right at the moment and I keep wanting to run. It is like a circular argument in my head, I am not sure about anything, I know what is in my heart. Then I have 51 years of male conditioning struggling like crazy to gain the upper hand again.

ObfusKatie I put everything away and buried it deep after my last attempt 10 + years ago to explore this because I my partners reaction. I have tried just about all I know how to encourage her to research this stuff for herself but she won't because she doesn't like what she is reading...she has changed heaps since then and has vowed to stay with me no matter what but at that stage Transition wasn't on the table. I guess it feels selfish to just take my happiness at the expense of hers...but I feel a little backed into a corner...Thanks for your kind words
Sarah T

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Jacqueline

Sarah T,

I feel/see some similarities between your description and my life, recently.

The big difference is that while I had signs pointing back to when I was 8, I did not really know then. I was either clueless or incredibly good and denial(could be that). I was 50 when I realized what all this was. Previously, I knew I had the kink of occasionally wearing women's clothes(never publicly) I did not put a name to it. Recently (after many wardrobe purges, lots of dysphoric symptoms and finally starting therapy) I came out to my wife of 25 years . It was tough. I told her, like you did that I do not know how far this will go. She has been pretty supportive but never said she will stay if I fully transition.

I have been taking it slowly but trying to check in with her. I am hoping to start some blockers and low dosage HRT, if it is an option and starting electrolysis(that will be hard for her, she loves the handle bar moustache I grow every fall and shave every spring). I am taking baby steps (although I have conflicting feelings about wanting to run ahead or just go to bed and hide).

I am sorry to say I cannot answer your questions well. I don't know how far I will go or how I know to keep going. Acceptance was pretty big for me. Helped my attitude and interactions a great deal. I guess I just plan to go a step and see how I am,check in and how we are. So far, I have only known for certain that I have to take another step. Maybe I will never be satisfied(that is a fear of mine).  I am pretty sure I am still a character that I created to get along in the world and not the real me yet(he is based on some of me but still a composite, fictional character).

Perhaps you already said this but it seems like you need to talk to your SO again. Not mine to say...

I wish you luck and love in your self discovery as well as a smooth journey.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

LizK

Hi Joanna
I knew early on I wanted to be a girl...as long as I can remember. The thought has never left my mind in 51 years. That is not entirely correct there have been passages (brief) when I wasn't thinking about it. The longest being our honeymoon and I had a very pleasant couple of days after we got married until it all started up again albeit more subdued but it was there scraping around in the back of my head. When I was really young it was clear to me there had been some kind of screw up because I knew that boys DO NOT...EVER...want to be a girl and you NEVER tell anyone. On this basis I moved forward as best I could with my life. But to be perfectly honest to me it was just part of who I was, having the dialogue/whisper in my head...for a long time I thought everyone was the same as me...as I got older I realised how different I really was in the way I felt.

My wife knew before we were married that I was a crossdresser but has not really accepted it and has always hoped it will "go away" which in her mind it has before because I have actively stopped telling her or gone back to being hidden again. So in practical terms if she hears nothing of it for a few years then it must have "gone away". More recently I made a concerted effort to make her understand how deep this goes in me. She says she now knows (but I suspect she doesn't really) how deep this goes in me. Despite this she and I have committed to each other no matter what the outcome.

I have alluded to her that I may wish to spend the majority of my life as a woman. What she hears is that I want to spend my life "DRESSING" as a woman. She thinks there will be a whole new person to replace me if I live as a woman. I have tried to explain to her that this other "woman" is part of me, is part of my personality and is in part, what attracted her, to me, in the first place. Whatever qualities Sarah brings to the table they have always been there, maybe not right at the front, but they have been there guiding an influencing my actions and the decisions I make. There is no escaping that...Sarah is not a separate person to me. She is me. I have tried to be gentle about this but am starting to wonder if my approach to this is right. Maybe I should write her a letter detailing my thoughts so she can read and ingest it at her own pace? Tried most other things apart from brutal tactless honesty. Overall she is great and supportive but this part is really tough(Hardly surprising) for her and knowing prior to marriage makes no difference to now. I have never lied to her about how I feel, but because it has taken me a number of years to finally work it out for myself it could easily appear that way.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that if I don't finally get my crap together and do the right thing for myself then I will go back to destructive behaviours because I cannot deal with the Dysphoria I feel any longer. Acceptance is not dependant on my wife knowing but if I cannot accept what I need to do for myself then how can expect her to accept it.

Thanks for your reply, every time I think about this stuff it gets a little clearer in my mind and just helps a little bit. I think I am liking this idea of a letter...might have to give it a bit more thought.

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

kittenpower

I delayed the start of my journey until I was 35 through denial, and lack of knowledge of how to transition. I had internet access for the first time in 1998, and I learned everything I could about transsexualism (transgender wasn't being used back then), started seeing a therapist, and began HRT 3 months later, but due to family and work (I had to shower and change after work everyday in a men's locker room, and my anxiety went through the roof) issues I stopped treatment 2 months later. A year later I had another job opportunity, which allowed me to work in an office, but I didn't start HRT again until 2002, and that is when I reached full self-acceptance, but I had a long wait ahead of me for HRT to feminize me enough and I needed some FFS, so I wasn't able to go full time until 2007.  So, in summary the obstacles to my transition were: denial, lack of knowledge, family, undesirable work environment, I was very muscular with very low body fat (6%) & a super fast metabolism which meant that it took longer than average for HRT to feminize my body, and I needed FFS. 
  •  

LizK

Kittenpower I think for me denial is a better term than using "not accepting". I think it is more accurate. I have been reading a few of my own posts and I was thinking if I was talking to that person would I think they were in denial about who they actually are...my answer is Yes I probably would, So why is it I find it so difficult and keep denying myself?  I think maybe it is because I am scared. There is a large part of me that knows this is what I want and agrees that it would be the right thing for me. There once was a very loud part of me screaming stop, that part has become a little quieter and outnumbered of late.

When I ask myself the question: if I take my spouse out of the equation would I transition I always say yes and without hesitation. So maybe I am using her as the excuse, I need, to stop me from transition...hmmm sounds like just another excuse to me!

Thanks for helping

Sarah T
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

kittenpower

I was in a similar situation when I was 25; at that time I was thinking of finding a way to transition, and I came out to my then fiancé, she talked me out of pursuing it, and told me that in her opinion, if I were to proceed my life would be hell, and that only a very small percentage of transsexuals were able to transform into passable women. So, I stuffed my feelings once again, and went about my life in denial, but when I was 35 and started doing research on the internet; I learned about HRT, FFS, and other feminizing surgeries, and I knew that with time I could do this. I'm not perfectly passable, but I'm comfortable in my skin, and treated like a woman by everyone, and never misgendered, so what more could I ask for; I'm 100% me, 100% of the time. :)
  •  

LizK

Thanks for Sharing Kittenpower

I finally found a therapist that is at least conversant with gender issues. I am hoping she is going to help me get my head around this. I was really surprised because when I rang Monday they didn't have an appointment till September and then they called me today to say they had received my referral from my Dr and would like to offer me an appointment on Thursday at 5pm...I have to say I am somewhat relieved to get the appointment, I had more nightmares last nite...lucky for me it only kept me up and not worse. I am 51 and have had two serious attempts at this...the first when I was about 19 and the second when I was in my mid to late 30's. On both occasions I succumbed to either someone else's agenda or sabotaged myself. This time I have done things very differently especially since I am now going to give therapy a go.
I am hoping my the time I see Dr Lyons I will be able to tell him if I want hormones or not. I would not take hormones unless my wife knew I was doing it. That is part of the agreement we made with each other about this. However I never said she had to approve. At the end of it all when I am on my Deathbed will I be able to say I lived my life and became the very best person I can be...I don't want to be 80 and having regrets that I still haven't dealt with this fully.

Sarah T
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

JoanneB

I "settled" on the "Just a CD'r" thing, actually CD++ for quite a few decades. The ++ part because I twice experimented with transitioning in my early 20's, been on/off low dose HRT many times, and otherwise had only one dream in my life, to be a girl.

Self acceptance for me has been been a very rough and bumpy road. My early experiments derailed by shame, guilt and the pervasive "Some guy in a dress feeling" reinforced by others negative actions around me. Being 6ft tall, big everything, balding since 14, etc. made all the more clear that trying to be anything other then normal was crazy and doomed. But six or so years ago I had a great motivator, my life going totally down the toilet.

I got in touch with my repressed illogical spiritual self. Found a TG group for support, as well as a couple of angels there to save my pathetic but. Did plenty of introspection and read lots of self help books.

My goal was not to transition. Actually avoidance at all costs. I knew I absolutely needed to figure out how to get these two totally disparate aspects of my true self to coexist peacefully. I needed to learn how to become one whole, healthy, and hopefully happy person.
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

LizK

Posted by: JoanneB
« on: Today at 10:32:47 »
".....My goal was not to transition. Actually avoidance at all costs. I knew I absolutely needed to figure out how to get these two totally disparate aspects of my true self to coexist peacefully. I needed to learn how to become one whole, healthy, and hopefully happy person..."

The latter part of your statement is exactly what I want..the "two totally disparate aspects of my true self to coexist peacefully" What a perfect outcome. I know what I have to do to make this happen but need to whittle down the resistance  "piece by piece''. I have recently had some re-collection of some of my darkest hours when I was drinking and the kind of things I was thinking. One in particular when I was really unwell both from the booze and the Dysphoria(didn't know what it was then) thinking so clearly that "if I had been born in the right body I wouldn't be standing there now pouring booze down my throat in an all out effort to kill myself." This was one of many frequent thoughts especially towards the end of my drinking days in late 1999, especially when it was no longer dealing to the Dysphoria like it once had. I can remember the despair when I realised that it no longer worked anymore and now not only did I have all the Dysphoria(still didn't know that is what it was) but now I had a huge monkey on my back as well.

If I just examine that piece of evidence alone it should be enough to tell me all I need.

Maybe I am waiting for someone to tell me that's what I need to do.

IE " Sarah, Given the body of evidence you have provided I would suggest for your own future safety and piece of mind that you transition to the woman you are"...Great fanfare, showered in HRT Pills like confetti, all is forgotten, all is forgiven and they all lived happily ever after.

....so thereby negating the responsibility to someone else rather than me. I It actually sounds just feasible enough to be the truth of the matter or something like it.  Denying something does not stop it being true. Now I just need to take the lesson and apply it to myself. Far easier said than done

Sarah T
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Paige

Quote from: sarahtokes on August 17, 2015, 10:24:10 PM
When I ask myself the question: if I take my spouse out of the equation would I transition I always say yes and without hesitation. So maybe I am using her as the excuse, I need, to stop me from transition...hmmm sounds like just another excuse to me!

Or you have empathy for her situation.  It's a very tough situation for both of you.  I'm in a similar situation,  and I've come to realize that no matter how hard I look there are no easy answers.  Many people here have suggested it would be helpful if my wife found her own therapist to discuss this with.  My wife isn't keen but maybe your wife would considered it.

Take care,
Paige :)
  •  

LizK

Quote from: Paige on August 19, 2015, 12:21:30 AM
Or you have empathy for her situation.  It's a very tough situation for both of you.  I'm in a similar situation,  and I've come to realize that no matter how hard I look there are no easy answers.  Many people here have suggested it would be helpful if my wife found her own therapist to discuss this with.  My wife isn't keen but maybe your wife would considered it.

Take care,

I have great empathy for her situation and I did actually get her to agree to seeing a counsellor but when it all came down to it she didn't want to do it. This really worries me...I am not convinced she is feeling as supportive as she is trying to portray. This is a big burden on her shoulders and she is carrying it on her own, she has no support network as such. Our daughters are her closest friends. I have one daughter who I think would actually be Ok if I came out to her and then at least she would have someone to talk to. Not sure about that just another idea I am mulling over. Thankyou for your suggestions and I hopefully maybe one day both our wives will have a full understanding.

Sarah T     
HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •  

Paige

Quote from: sarahtokes on August 19, 2015, 02:39:55 AM
I have great empathy for her situation and I did actually get her to agree to seeing a counsellor but when it all came down to it she didn't want to do it. This really worries me...I am not convinced she is feeling as supportive as she is trying to portray. This is a big burden on her shoulders and she is carrying it on her own, she has no support network as such. Our daughters are her closest friends. I have one daughter who I think would actually be Ok if I came out to her and then at least she would have someone to talk to. Not sure about that just another idea I am mulling over. Thankyou for your suggestions and I hopefully maybe one day both our wives will have a full understanding.

Sarah T   

I hope so too.  I have daughters as well, one is 18 the other is almost 17.  I'm pretty sure the youngest wouldn't even bat an eye, but the oldest doesn't like attention drawn to her.  She would probably consider me an embarrassment and be extremely upset.   I don't know if I could handle that.  Definitely no easy answers.

Take care Sarah,
  •  

Jacqueline

Paige & Sarahtokes

Hope I'm not intruding. I am in similar situations but have been lucky enough that my wife is gearing up for therapy. I know it will be a big support for her as our jobs and where we are in life, we have few friends(at least I hope that is why ;) of course, I have never been very good at making friends). Would your SO's poke around on the SO part of this website?

I think all my daughters would be ok but we have not spoken to them yet. At first my wife wanted me to wait but having seen their reactions to two of their friends who have come out and some of the more public revelations, she thinks they would be okay. My oldest(17) I think would be totally cool and I think the younger two (13&15) would be too.

However, I am also aware that it is one thing for a peer and/or celebrity and quite another for a grounded support person like a parent. Never sure if it is pulling the rug out.

Sorry if I am butting and then rambling. I'm not terribly well focused right now.

I wish you both luck.

With warm thoughts,

Joanna
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Paige

Quote from: Joanna50 on August 19, 2015, 09:58:28 AM
Paige & Sarahtokes

Hope I'm not intruding. I am in similar situations but have been lucky enough that my wife is gearing up for therapy. I know it will be a big support for her as our jobs and where we are in life, we have few friends(at least I hope that is why ;) of course, I have never been very good at making friends). Would your SO's poke around on the SO part of this website?

I think all my daughters would be ok but we have not spoken to them yet. At first my wife wanted me to wait but having seen their reactions to two of their friends who have come out and some of the more public revelations, she thinks they would be okay. My oldest(17) I think would be totally cool and I think the younger two (13&15) would be too.

However, I am also aware that it is one thing for a peer and/or celebrity and quite another for a grounded support person like a parent. Never sure if it is pulling the rug out.

Sorry if I am butting and then rambling. I'm not terribly well focused right now.

I wish you both luck.

With warm thoughts,

Joanna

Hey Joanna,

I can't speak for Sarah, but I think the more perspectives on this the better. 

My wife does participate in a SO forum somewhere on the internet.  Not sure where.  Although I doubt it's here.  From that forum she's basically decided we're done if I transition.  It sounds like whoever they are, they're very sure that most relationships won't survive transitioning.   I was more of the opinion that it's 50/50 but she's pretty adamant that I'm wrong.   She also believes from the forum that there's no in between, you start down that path there's no turning back.   

I'm basically in purgatory, and very tired of the whole situation.   

Thank you for your comments.
  •  

Jacqueline

Paige,

I am sorry I can't be specific. However, all the  numbers I have seen in the last 2 or 3 months have been closer to 50/50. However, that is also if they are willing to keep communications open and are dedicated to making it work. At the same time, my wife has said she will always love me. There was one conversation we had early on where she admitted she was not a 'lesbian' and wasn't sure what would happen if I transitioned all the way. Truth be told, we are both slowly making our way through this.

I hope we all find clarity soon.

With warmth,

Joanna
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

Paige

Quote from: Joanna50 on August 19, 2015, 01:44:10 PM
There was one conversation we had early on where she admitted she was not a 'lesbian' and wasn't sure what would happen if I transitioned all the way.

Yes my wife has said that to me a number of times Joanna.  I can't blame her for that but at the same time she's known about this for almost 30 years.  Maybe she didn't sign up for this but I didn't either.  I've tried to be the good husband, that should count for something.   I know this is hard on her but it's also been extremely hard on me for my whole life.  She really hasn't had to deal with anything until now.    A little more understanding on her part would probably go a long way.   

Hope it goes better for you,
  •  

LizK

Hi Paige

No butting in....just kidding. I value the input from as many people as I can. I sat my wife down and pulled up the forum and left her too it for about half an hour. Her comments were thus, most of them have not been married as long, your not the same, it doesn't really apply. I had tried to get her to make a post and ask the questions she won't ask of me but I really seriously think she wouldn't because the answers were not what she wanted to hear.  I have not categorically stated to her that I want to transition...I am not there myself...Yet...but I am so much closer to transitioning than I am to chucking it all in suitcase and burying it. In fact exactly the opposite is happening, the more I look into this the more I know it is right for me. We have had "discussions" but they go no where because she just says to me "that's not what you want to do is it?"...and my reply is always been the same..."I am not sure there is a big part of me that says yes and part of me that says no" I know this isn't easy for her but it is no bed of roses for me either.

I never asked my wife to be a lesbian, sex hasn't been part of our relationship for years due to many factors both medical and personal. In fact it has been an issue in our lives since the kids were born. I have never been a highly sexed person and quite frankly wondered what all the noise was about. Ok it was nice but...So when it stopped I wasn't too concerned and over the years it has got no better. So when she says she is not a lesbian, ok, so what makes her think that she will become one? Two women living in the same house do not make Lesbians. My situation is probably unique in the respect of sex because both myself and my wife have had a few years with some tough medical issues and intimacy was difficult. However she would agree that it was an issue long before the medical stuff came along.

I agree the Key is to keep communications open but it also takes both partner to be willing to communicate honestly and I suspect for some reason my wife is telling me what she thinks I want to hear. I still suspect that she thinks this will all go away like it has before...what she hasn't realised is the can is open and there are worms everywhere...there is no putting this back in the tin like before.

I came across a forum for SO's and it was the most disgracefully ill informed peace of rubbish I have come across. All the answers to these women were full of transphobic hate. They seem to believe that this is a choice and we are not "born this way" but a very sick individuals and therefore there is no hope for the relationship and they encourage all spouses to exit the marriage as soon as the transition is announced. I think the women on this site have been hurt badly but continue to feed their own anger. They all hang on the fact they were not told before marriage. I told mine and she even helped me buy a wig before we got married...it does not seem to have made much difference in the long run. I think that has something to do with keeping it hidden from her so she thinks its gone away. There are no easy answers or solutions...will just keep moving forward.

Sarah T

HRT since 17 May 2016,
GCS 4 December 2018
  •