Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

International roundtrip airline tickets name change on passport after one leg

Started by warlockmaker, September 17, 2015, 11:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warlockmaker

So I'm booking flights and as we all know round trips are much cheaper than one way fares. I will be having FFS and SRS surgery in Bangkok and will stay for 3 to 6 months. While I'm there I will change my UK passport to my new name and gender. My assistant reminded me that they issue the tickets based on the passport name and that a change would invalidate the ticket. We called the airline and yes that's the case. Even if you get married and change your surname the ticket is invalid and you have to repurchase and apply for a refund at a cost.

Has anyone figured out how to get around this unusual situation or should I just purchase a one way and forget it?
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

Cindy

How about if you keep your driving licence under old name until you get back home and use that for ID?
  •  

AnonyMs

That a really interesting question. I've no idea of the facts of the matter, but I had a quick google and it seems to be about the airlines trying to squeeze money out people.

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.com/2015/06/30/name-change-on-airline-ticket-due-to-marriage/

Here's someone who changed his name to match his ticket as it was cheaper than buying another ticket.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-man-legally-changed-his-name-to-avoid-booking-error-fee-on-ryanair-2015-06-05

I personally wouldn't do this, but if you're so inclined you could use this to stand up for for trans rights. Its unfair and discrimination against a segment of the population that usually can't afford it.
  •  

warlockmaker

Hi Cindy. They want your passport to be the same in Asia international flight. Domestic flights may be easier especially in USA or Australia where you are not required to carry your passport when you travel domestically, and any recognized ID would work.

and Hi Anony, those websites sadly confirms what I have found out,  but it not worth the battle and the negativity.

Guess they will get more $ from me than they should.
When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

iKate

Name changes are a hassle with the airline. That is why I did not change the name on my passport yet.

Especially if you book tickets through a travel agency or cheap fare site like vayama they will tell you flat out no name changes.
  •