Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Absolutely amazing opinion piece

Started by Paige, September 18, 2015, 10:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paige

Opinion: Damaging labels do transgender people a disservice

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/politics/opinion-damaging-labels-do-transgender-people-a-disservice

Edmonton Journal/Mark Morris, Published on: September 18, 2015 | Last Updated: September 18, 2015 10:36 AM MDT
  •  

ChiGirl

Great piece!  Thanks for posting.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

•  

suzifrommd

Agree, great find. I think the psychological community has a lot to atone for, given that for so many decades they used the cover of their professionalism to spread this same sort of hate, through their diagnostic manuals no less. They had no evidence that we were disordered (they can't have - we aren't), and yet the arrogantly instructed the whole world that we were.

To my seeing, they should be the ones writing these opinion pieces to undo the damage they've done.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Ms Grace

I gather the article was written in response to this...

Transgender students have 'mental disorder,' Edmonton Catholic school trustee says
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/transgender-students-have-mental-disorder-edmonton-catholic-school-trustee-says-1.3229811

Which is not specifically about the psychological profession using their power to peddle their views but rather bonehead bigots who use whatever pseudo science they feel best suits their prejudice.

Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Ms Grace on September 18, 2015, 07:55:45 PM

Transgender students have 'mental disorder,' Edmonton Catholic school trustee says
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/transgender-students-have-mental-disorder-edmonton-catholic-school-trustee-says-1.3229811

Which is not specifically about the psychological profession using their power to peddle their views but rather bonehead bigots who use whatever pseudo science they feel best suits their prejudice.

Yes that's what it relates to, thanks for posting it Grace.

Paige :)
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: Ms Grace on September 18, 2015, 07:55:45 PM

No, but such bigots are basing their claims on what the profession had been saying for decades. It was barely two years ago they finally got off their collective butts and declared that all of a sudden we were no longer disordered (one of the greatest miracles of modern psychology - fifteen million people cured of a disorder with the stroke of a pen). Comments like the one the guy on the school board made is the legacy of irresponsible and hate-promoting action of the psychological profession for declaring us disordered in the first place based on zero evidence.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Paige

Quote from: suzifrommd on September 19, 2015, 04:51:45 AM
No, but such bigots are basing their claims on what the profession had been saying for decades. It was barely two years ago they finally got off their collective butts and declared that all of a sudden we were no longer disordered (one of the greatest miracles of modern psychology - fifteen million people cured of a disorder with the stroke of a pen). Comments like the one the guy on the school board made is the legacy of irresponsible and hate-promoting action of the psychological profession for declaring us disordered in the first place based on zero evidence.

Having had some rather bad experiences with psychiatry in the late 1980s, I would definitely agree with you Suzi.  It's really annoying that these dinosaurs are still being quoted and referenced today.

Paige :)
  •  

Tessa James

Yes, thank you for this reminder of our history and our substantial progress.  Suzi I too like that "miracle" cure and just want greater access to that special pen.  Goodness knows what you might write with it??!! ;D
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •