Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Clinton Pushes Civil Rights Agenda

Started by LostInTime, September 16, 2007, 10:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInTime

Associated Press
By BRUCE SMITH

Clinton also is proposing an expansion of federal hate crimes legislation to include crimes committed against people based on their gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or disability.
  •  

Thundra

You will notice however, that absolutely no mention of marriage equality was made?
  •  

Hazumu

Quote from: Thundra on September 16, 2007, 01:39:13 PM
You will notice however, that absolutely no mention of marriage equality was made?

<OPINION>

I think that marriage equality should be the last thing put into place, after all the other skirmishes have been won...

There was an opinion piece linked to in news where the writer stated as such -- get hate crimes and ENDA in place and working well as the 'floor' and 'walls' of the structure, THEN add universal marriage as the 'roof', supported by the previous work.  (can't find the link to the piece, though...)

</OPINION>

Karen
  •  

Thundra

Sorry Karen, but as a queer-identified person, I don't see what supporting a right has to do with actually bringing forth a bill to resolve a problem. They want to have it both ways these Dems. They want my vote, without espousing a gesture of support for my inherent rights.
So, I cannot offer her my support.

And a lot of other people from the community feel the same way. We remember how Bill %&$#@^ us over in his campaigns the same way as she is trying to do now. We brought out the vote for him, and how did he repay us? Don't Ask/Don't Tell, and protection of marriage acts.

I'm sorry, but if you cannot support me and my rights, I will not give you my vote. Without the votes of myself and people like me, she cannot win. She is making a huge mistake.
  •