Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Spirituality vs. Religion

Started by nickie, September 21, 2007, 09:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nickie

Hello everyone! I am new to these pages. I will start out by saying I am not a religious person. I used to be a Christian, but now I am a transsexual.Grin I call myself a Recovering Baptist.
I have been a member of various Unity churches in several states. I am now in Florida, and have been a member of Unity of Clearwater for over 7 years. I am by far more comfortable here than anywhere else I have ever attended. Our minister, a female, is very spiritual, open minded, and is a transpeople advocate. I call myself a "Unitic", just for fun. I have been a Sunday School Teacher for about 4 years, both as a man, and as a woman. I was asked to teach children about diversity in my last position. Very appropriate, don't you think? I love Unity, because there is no Bible thumping, no "saving" anyone, no cross, no baptismal tank, and no telling anyone else they are going to hell. They never ask for money. I have heard some of the funniest "sermons" (we call them lessons) in my life, and some of the best singers ever. We have our own band. I don't think I would be alive without Unity. I always am fond of saying "My transition is my spiritual path, and my spiritual path is my transition." Not that I am all-consumed by my sexual transition, as evidenced by what I see other people appearing like. Anyway, this is not a advertisement for my church, or my brand of worship, just a little offering about how my life is better than it used to be, and why. Any questions are more than welcome.
  •  

cindybc

Hi  nickie
My name is Cindy and I have been full time for 7 years and had SRS 4 years ago.
Welcome to Susan's. I haven't been in a church since I was 16, it wasn't for me. I have been into spirituality for twenty years, North American Native spirituality. I was checking out the different threads on on the board and came across your post. Spirituality and transition I believe did help me to find who resided within and once I accomplished that it made it a lot easier for me to make the decision to meld the two together, two spirited.

That is wonderful that you were able to transition on the job, that can be a very tricky thing to do and in many cases some have found themselves unemployed after a time. I do pray that they are not just toying with you until such a time they can get a legit or conjure up reason to get rid of you.

I am a retired Social Worker and my soul mate is retired from Government Service, so we can blow pretty well anywhere the wind blows when we have the urge to do so.

No saving anyone?  ;D Oh my, yes but not in the sense of saving souls from damnation or anything like that, I was into the rescuing business for twenty years as a Social Worker, doing what I could saving sanity and spirit and bringing them into harmony. Through the years I have worked with recovering alcoholics, addicts, street peoples and my last job was working with mental health aid recipients.

I know of Clearwater FL I lived there for a time, never went swimming while I was there though, the gaiters might have broken their teeth on me bones.

I started two threads here on spirituality and transitioning and another was Empaths and Empathy, don't appear there are very many people here that go for the spiritual and metaphysical.

Anyway nice to have met you, or least ways having come across your post.

Cindy   

•  

EJ

Interesting path you have taken there Nickie... sounds calm and peacefull.

Im not a religous person either i just cant fake the belief to abide by such things but i am very spiritual. I found during my days(more like years) of sadness, religion can be a very persuasive sanctuary and i spoke to many of those door to door religion sales reps ;D but found that the only thing they all have in common is there spiritual undertakings wich seems to always get glossed over with the "religous laws and ways of life" so i turned to natural healing of my spiritual needs. It all happend like a good dose of karma lol... i made a website for a local natural healing center and in return I recieved not only regular Reiki meditation sessions but training too, now im a qualified Reiki healer! tho only comfortable performing on people i am close too and of course myself, helping me feel comfortable, happy and healthy within. As far as i know there are no unity type places where i live but i think i'll keep my eye out for them. :angel:

<3
  •  

cindybc

Hi EJ
I have taken reikie as well, but I think I would need a refresher course. I been out of circulation for too long. Before I learned reiki though I use to just do the hands on thing and I would know if the recipient was feeling anything just by watching the change in their facial expression, some actually puling their hand away like I had shocked them. Anyway I have been an empath for as long as I can remember although just the same as my gender Diaspora I Had not idea they had labels for them let alone if there were others that had the sensitivities I have.

Anyway I have been doing the bringing of the melding of soul and mind for many years thinking there were no others like me. My discovering whom resided within and harmonising the body with the soul began at about the same time that I began learning more about spirituality and how to to manipulate energy. It has not been an easy journey for this 62 year old lady dragging the physical backside along with spirit. Looking forward in sharing with you. Do you have a Website?

Cindy 
  •  

lisagurl

There is no doubt that people can have spiritual feelings. It takes a setup to encourage these feelings . Religion has many ways such as hymns traditions buildings that foster these feelings. Others use things like meditation and a sense of awe such as the vastness of space anything that lowers the sense of self. Spiritual feelings help most people live and foster a more pure way of living that encourages life. There are those who know these things the use the knowledge for selfish reasons. It never hurts to have reality checks to put it all in perspective.
  •  

Rowan_Danielle

I've been tempted to investigate the Unitarian churches.  From what I've heard from friends and seen while visiting the local one when they were hosting a folk festival, they are quite open minded about a lot of things.  I have a feeling that they support the idea that there are multiple paths to spirituality, each unique to the person seeking it.

Now, going into analytical mode, I'd say that religions are tied together by spirituality, though definitions of spirituality may vary.  Unfortunately, the commonalities of spirituality tend to get buried in the details of each religion, and these are even more obscured when one religion looks at another religion through religion tainted glasses.

•  

Aiden

Since a young child my grandmother would sit by me and read the children's bible.  When she wasn't there though my family didn't really take me much to church except on occation.  I learned many of the stories from the bible and while most time went to church at a baptist church, in my teens joined a Methodist church.   Tried to follow along but really some of it never really felt right.

I consider myself simply spiritual now.  My beliefs are a mix of Native American, Christiananity, scientific theory, and self defining soul searching.

I believe in a creator, but do not worship them as a god, mearly respect them as an artist who has sculpted our creation and evolution.  I believe in souls, but feel that when it is released we are what we are inside, and that we are released to venture into the universe wherever we may wish to go, and that even rebirth is possible.

But that is me, I listen to my heart the bast I can, because it is there our guardian and soul guides us.
Every day we pass people, do we see them or the mask they wear?
If you live under a mask long enough, does it eventually break or wear down?  Does it become part you?  Maybe alone, they are truly themselves?  Or maybe they have forgotten or buried themselves so long, they forget they are not a mask?
  •  

Ell

uh, i used to take religion *very* seriously.

but then, if i went to hang out with religious friends, people thought i was a religious nerd.

later i found it to be much harder and more demanding psychologically than i could handle, and gave it up for health reasons, before i actually stopped believing in it.

Alan Watts suggested that some, if not all religious paths are dangerous, and can lead to insanity, if one does not have proper guidance. within that statement, he included Zen Buddhism, which he was very fond of. 

i think this is true. religion is far more dangerous than most people realize, can be habit-forming, and requires skillful guides to lead the interested student. But often, it seems to me, that many religious leaders are mere amateurs, and many Protestant leaders are just dopes with bibles. i pick on Protestants because i was raised as one, and therefore it would not be proper for me to pick on other religions, because, as everyone knows, religion often follows racial guidelines. and for me to question some other religion is nearly as bad as saying something bad about their race.

From my perspective, Protestantism lacks qualified leaders by the very nature of its origins as a replacement for Catholicism, if it may be said to be such, throwing the burden of comprehending the will of God on the individual student, rather than leaving it, by and large, in the hands of clerics, as in the Catholic Church.

i have known Catholics who, feeling detached and powerless in their parish, switched over to Protestantism, and appreciated the feeling of a fuller participation in the mystery.

But oh, as a worrying Protestant (read masturbating), how i longed for a more Catholic shift of responsibility!

yes, i would have switched to Catholicism (and had been in attendance) had i not been too late. but by that time, it slowly dawned on me that i just didn't believe any of it anymore, and felt that i was wrong to set foot where no belief existed in my breast.

Losing or changing one's belief is not illegal.

however, it is extremely difficult and terribly painful. at least, it was for me.
some say you have to believe something, or else you are a fool. but that is just their version of the truth, and now i am not even so sure about that anymore.

why do i need a structured mythology to explain (falsely) how the earth was formed?

ok, let's say for the sake of argument, that myths are not intended as the truth, but are rather, like tall tales that serve some other purpose. in which case, it would be like adding a GUI on top of a very incomprehensible system. perhaps to civilize us and get a handle on ourselves. that, i guess, i can accept. especially if some in the society don't quite understand why they should not covet their neighbor's wife's booty.

but come on! we're really talking about people who did not get socialized properly, or who were not raised properly, because good parenting implies that people *will* learn to respect human life, etc., etc.

Well let's see, both your parents worked, and you got babysat by some minimum wage person who really didn't give a rat's ass about you, and then you were dumped into a school system for what, at least 12 years? which raised you, in effect, (along with the TV) and raised your consciousness to the level of something resembling humanity.

ok, so suppose we *do* need a civilizing type of institution to teach us how to behave properly in the absence of our parents' guidance? and suppose that's what religion was intended to do: why does it have to be Lies?

are lies really needed to civilize us, the wounded masses?

And, and...are we so dense that we don't recognize lies when we hear them?

-Ell
  •  

cindybc

Religion is fine and dandy for those who truly beleive and follow that certain way of life. But yes there are those that will go overboard with religion and this can cause some to suffer grief, pain and even fear, controlling by fear. Example. the Fundies, If it hadn't been outlawed back in the 1600 or 1700's they would still have legal witch burnings today, as well as keeping the sheet making factories busy making sheets for the Ku-clux clan. I do beleive that it is ones own imperative to worship in a certain religion of their choice, but trying to shove their faith down down some unwilling souls throat is what should be outlawed. Religion and Politics should also always be kept separate.

Spirituality could be as easily and simple as synchronising ones energies with the vibrations of the environment around us. Being in harmony with nature or to become one with the Oneness of Universe. Or even more simply, to beleive in a higher power of your understanding. Praying is like placing a phone call to the universal oneness and meditation is to silence the mind and listen for the response form the Universal Oneness.  The awakening, or becoming aware of energies and realities that exist both inside and outside this 3D Universe.

Cindy
  •  

Maebh

Quote from: cindybc on August 02, 2008, 05:11:46 AM

Spirituality could be as easily and simple as synchronising ones energies with the vibrations of the environment around us. Being in harmony with nature or to become one with the Oneness of Universe. Or even more simply, to believe in a higher power of your understanding. Praying is like placing a phone call to the universal oneness and meditation is to silence the mind and listen for the response form the Universal Oneness.  The awakening, or becoming aware of energies and realities that exist both inside and outside this 3D Universe.

Cindy

Hi Cindy.

Thanks for your courage in tackling the nettle of religion versus spirituality. I presume you live in the US where the power of the different churches is omnipresent in all kind of media?

I was raised a Roman Catholic but unfortunately I did find that too often the clergy and their teaching put much more importance on the canon and ritual than the spiritual quest. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that simple rules, rituals or practices doesn't have a place in spirituality. For me ritual or practices (like meditation, prayer, symbolism, liturgy, "sacred studies" etc...) are needed to keep us connected with the sacred, be it the wonders of creation, the sanctity of life or the power of the spirit. One only has to look at the shopping and consuming practices in the so called developed world... could it be than a lack of connection to that deep sense of belonging to the natural universe is in some perverse way filled by a desperate attempt to conform to a pervasive ideology of economical success and monetary wealth? 

For my part I find that to re-centre myself and keep balanced in the midst of the prevalent craziness I need to regularly connect with nature, the beauty and wonders of the universe. I need to take the space and the time to listen to my inner spirits and guides. In these I humbly surrender myself to the loving power of the life force that made me who I am. By doing so regularly I get a re-assuring glimpse of the real reality and my place and role in its divine harmony.

Like you, in my job as a "mediator" I work with unemployed people, people with physical or cognitive disability, recovering addicts, ex-offenders, refugees and asylum seekers, struggling families, people wounded, lost or abandoned by a careless, selfish, greedy society driven by a warped economical & political ideology. My TGism in its blessings has given me the gifts of empathy and commitment. I do not try to save or convert people. My training as a Totem Pole Guide and Practitioner has taught me to welcome and celebrate differences. It has taught me the skills to create a safe non-judgement space where others can explore for themselves their own connection to the universe. A space were they can  re- nourish and heal themselves by opening up to the force of the universal life spirit. Where they can, in the way that suit them the best, draw from it the strength to reclaim their own power. 
Like you I relate very strongly to what you call Native Spirituality, connecting to, understanding and fitting in, instead of trying to control and reshape that beautiful, wonderful, harmonious, bountiful space we live in.

Where, in any of the scriptures is it said that humanity owns the earth and has the right to do what ever it wants with it?
Would the "original sin" take its roots in that self delusive and ultimately self-destroying  confusion between the roles of owners and custodians ?
"Natives People" don't own the land...  they belong to it!  May their wisdom prevail and save us!

Hope, Light, Love, Levity and Respect

Maebh.
  •  

Aiden

Sometimes it's just looking into your own soul, that is best to understand spirituality and to understand things.  There are many people who think, oh their belief is right, and everyone should believe it.  But, what is right can only be determined by the soul of each person. 
If you live under a mask long enough, does it eventually break or wear down?  Does it become part you?  Maybe alone, they are truly themselves?  Or maybe they have forgotten or buried themselves so long, they forget they are not a mask?
  •  

cindybc

Hi, Maebh, may God bless you, you are an oasis in the middle of a very large, dry desert.

You are quite right, we can not drag people from their dens by the ear to teach them our beliefs. It is better to leave a little bait behind us, in that large expanse of desert, and just patiently sit and wait to see if something will come to the bait.

I have left the bait and for those who see the bait they shall know full well who has left this bait. Then I just let them come to me if they wish to learn more. Yes, being TG, TS, those who have two spirits, one in this world and the other in the world beyond the grey veil, should be giving thanks for the gift of empathy, and intuition as TG TS'ism will certainly prove to be a considerably bigger plateful than cisgendered folks have.

But then, who is to judge, especially for those who suffer in silence, making it difficult to know just what another endures. But for us, just having gone through this journey is enough to open the eyes of the ever- growing consciousness and the sensitivities to the ever-growing realities of what is around us. As for Universe and the web or the ethereal grid which binds all of creation within this universal Oneness, it does not discern between good and bad, negative or positive. It is only when we connect with this energy that we humans make the decision to use it for good or bad, as free agents what the Karma will be, it will be created of own doing or undoing, whatever the case might be. 

Having already gone through these tests, one emerges to be a very different person mentally, physically and spiritually, when they come out the other end of this "real life test." Life itself tests us. Yes, empathy is a gift but so is being TG and TS when it comes to growth and awareness of those gifts and to have the wisdom to choose where one wishes those gifts to reach out to.

When I first came to Susan's I started a thread on Empaths and Empathy and it was at the time helpful to be able to reach others and help them to learn how to use spirituality to help them through their transitional years. It didn't take too well. Well, it is all voluntary, of course, and no one is going to twist anyone's arm into doing so. Visions, many visions, are what have been my guiding light. A light which guides me to wherever it is that it wishes for me to go to serve.

QuoteFor my part I find that to re-centre myself and keep balanced in the midst of the prevalent craziness I need to regularly connect with nature, the beauty and wonders of the universe. I need to take the space and the time to listen to my inner spirits and guides. In these I humbly surrender myself to the loving power of the life force that made me who I am. By doing so regularly I get a re-assuring glimpse of the real reality and my place and role in its divine harmony.

Yep, you're so right, sis.

As for working rescue missions, I have been doing so for as long as I can remember, from bringing home stray or injured animals to bringing home stray or injured people, home. Ma! You better hide the silverware!!  But then my mom always had a big heart and there were times she brought stray people home, too. Anyway, my last position was as a social worker so I saw some pretty sad things but I have also had the privilege of seeing some arise and become productive individuals afterward. The ones I was successful in helping more than gave me the energy required to carry on to the next individual that I was to work with.

Well, Maebh, it  appears that we do have much in common.  As for being a mediator, at least there is a much better successful rate of ending a disputes in an amicable way. I prefer being a mediator. Heck, I was moderator on one Yahoo group for a couple of years but when I came out to speak to whoever was creating a disturbance I only claimed to be a mediator, same as I do in my own Yahoo group.

It was wonderful sharing with you Maebh. Thank you very much         

Cindy
  •  

Maebh

Quote from: cindybc on August 03, 2008, 01:23:09 AM
Hi, Maebh, may God bless you, you are an oasis in the middle of a very large, dry desert.
You are quite right, we can not drag people from their dens by the ear to teach them our beliefs. It is better to leave a little bait behind us, in that large expanse of desert, and just patiently sit and wait to see if something will come to the bait.

De nada amigo mio.
But didn't you mean seed instead of bait?

As for Universe and the web or the ethereal grid which binds all of creation within this universal Oneness, it does not discern between good and bad, negative or positive. It is only when we connect with this energy that we humans make the decision to use it for good or bad, as free agents what the Karma will be, it will be created of own doing or undoing, whatever the case might be. 

Excactly, I couln't have put it better myself.  :eusa_clap:

Having already gone through these tests, one emerges to be a very different person mentally, physically and spiritually, when they come out the other end of this "real life test." Life itself tests us. Yes, empathy is a gift but so is being TG and TS when it comes to growth and awareness of those gifts and to have the wisdom to choose where one wishes those gifts to reach out to.

That's the exciting part of it.

When I first came to Susan's I started a thread on Empaths and Empathy and it was at the time helpful to be able to reach others and help them to learn how to use spirituality to help them through their transitional years. It didn't take too well. Well, it is all voluntary, of course, and no one is going to twist anyone's arm into doing so. Visions, many visions, are what have been my guiding light. A light which guides me to wherever it is that it wishes for me to go to serve.

You planted the seed for them. When ready it will eventually germinate and blossom.

The ones I was successful in helping more than gave me the energy required to carry on to the next individual that I was to work with.

Yes it really makes all your efforts worthwile. It is such a privilege to see someone healed, radiating again with hope and confidence, reclaiming their inate power and humanity.

Well, Maebh, it  appears that we do have much in common. 

We do indeed and it feels so good.  :icon_hug:
Go raibh míle maith agat

HLLL&R

Maebh
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Lisbeff's Elf on August 02, 2008, 04:39:30 AM
uh, i used to take religion *very* seriously.

...religion is far more dangerous than most people realize, can be habit-forming, and requires skillful guides to lead the interested student. But often, it seems to me, that many religious leaders are mere amateurs, and many Protestant leaders are just dopes with bibles...

And, and...are we so dense that we don't recognize lies when we hear them?

-Ell

I guess that's why I've never been religious.  But I am an expert at Christian spirituality.  I had to become one for my own protection.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

cindybc

Hi, Maebh,
Here is a post I sent to another individual this morning. I thought that it may connect quite well to my previous post earlier.

I do know about the negative forces that are constantly working against the eventual evolution of the human race, evolving into angelic-like beings. It has been the way of these astral beings or the dark angels, if we may. They have been at work against this eventual metamorphosis of mankind ever since man fell out of paradise <--allegorical of course. Perhaps the first civilization migrated from Mars when the planet was a water world or the first Atlantis. I love working with theories.   

There is a force out there that dogs our every step, waiting for us to err.

As you probably know I am a non-aggressive individual who is, and always will be, working on the side of the light, This is my burn. Even during and after having gone through the arduous task of transitioning, I must admit I do not understand the nature TS'ism but unlike many others, both trans and cisgender define it, I do not feel that it is a curse. My beliefs that spirituality and TS'ism are being gifts have not diminished in any way.

If anything my beliefs have become firmer with time, just as my love, empathy, and compassion for others. I continue striving to enlighten them in whatever way I can. Even if that is by the **mere dropping of seeds.** It appears to me that seeds and reeds both are of the same genre and both have the potential of becoming sturdy and stout old oaks. If anything the need to do so has only become more urgent. I only wish I could help them **in Susan's here** and wherever I find myself working with either TS as well as street people, to open their eyes to allow them see the new light.

And again, yes, TSism  is just as much and probably a contributor of our gift of empathy. It has made me more sensitive to the world around me, where at times one will experience great pain. Such is the price for having this gift, but it is also priceless and it is my strength in the end.

Cindy

•  

Aiden

To me, being like this may seem like a curse many times, but I also know that it gives us insight that no others have, and that is a gift. 
  •  

cindybc

Hi, Aiden, my theory is that we all have these abilities, sensitivities and intuitiveness.  They are all part of being empathic, and the phenomena  of being trans is what kicks all of these dormant abilities into coming to life. As I have said before, once we have gone through the gauntlet of transition and we come out the other end we are way different beings from what we were prior to transitioning. Either you adapt to this or end up running down the street letting out a blood curdling scream. I just beleive that a lot of folks fear talking about it, especially to those who may not have a very open mind on any of these sensitivities that all fit under the umbrella of extrasensory perception.

Just a note. even the cisgendered can be awakened if they have a desire to do so.   

Cindy 

Posted on: August 03, 2008, 09:04:20 PM
Hi Nickie I want to thank you for opening these pages and please feel free to contribute what ever you desires it to share with us.

Cindy

•  

Maebh

Quote from: Aiden on August 03, 2008, 06:12:04 PM
To me, being like this may seem like a curse many times, but I also know that it gives us insight that no others have, and that is a gift. 

Yes Aiden, a long time ago, as a confused teenager, I too thought it was a curse, I wanted so much to be "normal" and fit in with the other blokes. :eusa_wall:

But now, having gone further on my path of self discovery and acceptance, I do not think or believe... I KNOW with every part of my being that my TGism was a blessing in disguise. It made me face and confront prejudices in all their aspects, opened my eyes to the wonderment and richness of diversity, expended my understanding and acceptance of what it means to be truly human and more importantly gave me the opportunity to connect at a much a deeper level with others and to what Cindy calls the "Oneness of the Universe". :icon_dance:

HLLL&R

Maebh.

PS: And of course, without it, I would never have met so many special, honest, couragous, supportive and beautiful people as I met here on Susan's.  ;)

•  

Aiden

Most likely without something to prove him wrong I would have continued to believe my father's stereotypes an suffered a long time.
  •  

cindybc

Good afternoon, my dear lady Maebh. Amen to that,
Quoteso many special, honest, courageous, supportive and beautiful people
I only pray that it continues to be so.

Maybe I am just  a dreamer.

I just remembered something. Do you remember when you were a young child? Do you remeber before school, before the conditioning and teaching from the elders and other adult teachers outside the home? Do you remember asking your mom and dad what was infinity? Or how big the unknown was? It used to fascinate me, but then, I loved fantasy and of course indulging in a little imagination now and again.

I remember word for word what my dad's response was to infinity: "My dear, there have been many intelligent men of science that were institutionalised in psychiatric hospitals, having gone insane trying yo come up for the answer for that one." "The unknown," he said, "that is simple, it lies anywhere beyond any point that is known." He was a wise and well-educated man. I wish I would have listened to him more. But I never did stop trying to figure out the answer to the question of what is infinity. I still, to this day, am searching for the answer, and no, I didn't end up in an insane asylum... not yet anyway, and there are probably those who think I should be there.

Anyway, every time I thought I had a lead by reading and researching the sciences, archeology, and theology, it all leads me to become lost in obscurity or ending in a cul-de-sac. I have come to the conclusion that although these well-educated men of science and religion can light the way on how and where to look for the answer they themselves don't know. It's like throwing a ball and hoping someone else will pick it up and continue running with it.

I just got back from a long walk in the sun, beautiful day today. Anyway, I was thinking about children, young children, I had 11 of them go under my roof through the years, 9 girls and 2 boys. Have you ever watched a child draw things out of their imagination? Pretty neat stuff, eh? Now since young children have fairly innocent minds their "mental slates" are not complicated and filled with mathematical equations of what life is supposed to be about, according to the standard of someone else's thinking. This is the way it is for them. Without the clutter of life they will come up with some pretty fantastic ideas.

What comes out of a child's mind is a lot less gibberish than we think. We may think so because it doesn't make sense to us, or because it doesn't conform to what is generally considered to be within the boundaries of generally accepted intelligible expression. But it does seem intelligible to the child. Ask them to explain to you what they have just drawn on that piece of paper. Do young children discriminate color and race etc? Do they have any reason for not getting on with the African American kid next door? When I was little my mom boarded an African American boy for a time and we got along superbly, my sister, too. I was raised next door to an Indian reservation and I got along superbly with them also.

Well I am no theologian or a scientist although I often wished I would have gotten into the study of some of the many fields of science.

Cindy

Well anyway that's the end of my ravings.     

Have a wonderful day

Cindy
  •