Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Are some races more accepting than others?

Started by Toddin3D, November 12, 2015, 01:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toddin3D

I shouldn't say "race", but it does have to do with their respective cultures and their level of acceptance with those that fit the LGBT categories.

This was brought up by my political science professor when talking about how certain minorities tend to be more liberal and conservative than others, especially with gay marriage (ok, not related to trans stuff but still LGBT).

Basically, he said something about African-Americans being more conservative on LGBT topics, and that since we now have a black Republican candidate, they might vote for him.

...boy, if he's not being racist, he's definitely walking on the line of it.

Then again, I was thinking that I have heard that a lot of non-whites (lack of a better word, I hate grouping all of us like that) have it pretty hard because of their race and skin color, from not only white people, but also members of their own group.

Which brings up the question: Are some races/cultures more accepting or less accepting than others?

•  

Laura_7

Most ex traterrestrial races are accepting... especially the positive oriented ones, which are the majority...  :)

But coming back to topic...

imo some minorities tend to adhere more to some stricter behaviour to make them more adhesive as a group...
well telling being transgender is a birth condition might help...
so its nobodys fault, and its not contagious... or something they have to fear  :)

some minorities are very accepting...

imo it would be best to see people as people... as individuals... with individual but kind of normal needs and cravings...

*hugs* 
  •  

barbie

Race is a biological term, having nothing to do with the level of social acceptance or tolerance of minorities. Ethnographic group will be a better term. Culture, religion and tradition are important factors there.

BTW, here people are far more accepting than when I was in a conservative suburban, Catholics-dominated city of the U.S.

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

lisarenee

While, I have gotten c**p from people of all races (White, Black, Middle Eastern, etc...), I have noticed that I would get misgendered more often by Black people early on when I didn't pass very well. I don't know if it is cultural, that they could clock me more easily, or something else.
  •  

Ms Grace

I think the word we are looking for is "culture" - some cultures around the world are more accepting of the concept of a third gender and even base their society around that. They are far and few in between.

As regards racial profiling be very mindful of what you say in this forum, no blatant stereotyping or racism will be tolerated.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Girl Beyond Doubt

Do a proper correlation with intelligence, religious affiliation and exposure to people foreign to the tribe.
If you don't know what I am fracking talking about you are free to look it up.

What a question in the posed form.
Sorry I have to go puke.
The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself - Mark Twain
  •  

Girl Beyond Doubt

I am back.
My stomach hurts, and I have a sour taste in my mouth.
The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself - Mark Twain
  •  

Cindy

:police:

While I think the OP phrased their post somewhat poorly it was not meant rudely or in a racist manner.

I see no reason for such a venomous reply.

If you disagree with such a post report it.

I am removing the smite.

Cindy
Forum Admin
  •  

captains

Hey Todd. Interesting question.

A lot of people expect my Iranian family and friends to be worse about my gender and sexuality issues. White friends of mine always ask if I was scared of telling them, if there were religious issues in play, if I was safe (etc etc)... and they're usually surprised to hear that actually, I had no issues. Most people don't know that despite Iran's status as an Islamic state, as a people, we're not actually very religious and that the our culture has a long history of valuing education, art, and freedom of thought. Of course there are conservative Iranians -- many of them -- but like much of the '79 diaspora population, my family is very left leaning, urban, and frankly, fairly worldly. They did have trouble, and I have to acknowledge that being raised in the Middle East doesn't often provide an LGBTQ-friendly foundation, but they were open.

Conversely, I about poop my pants when I think about coming out to the Republican, Colorado state WASP side of the family. These people love me very much, but we're talking about folks who yell at their 5 year old son for playing with his sister's toy piano because it's "gay."

Are Persians better than Americans? Definitely not a conclusion I can draw broadly, haha. Stronger correlation to social liberalism vs social conservatism, imo. But what do I know!  ;D
- cameron
  •  

warmbody28

As someone who is half black I can say it's a tough road. My mom said she always knew and didn't care either way. But my dad blew up like a volcano. But he actually came around. Now as far as other people go in the black community... Let's just say check the media, rap videos, YouTube and so on. That will give you a answer
  •  

Tristyn

Quote from: Toddin3D on November 12, 2015, 01:59:19 PM
Which brings up the question: Are some races/cultures more accepting or less accepting than others?

Simplest way to put it; yes, some are more accepting than others and some are less. I guess that's just how it is. It is what it is.

~Nixy~

Quote from: warmbody28 on November 15, 2015, 08:13:44 AM
As someone who is hard black I can say it's a tough road. My mom said she always knew and didn't care either way. But my dad blew up like a volcano. But he actually came around.

Um. What does "hard black" even mean? :-\

Quote from: warmbody28 on November 15, 2015, 08:13:44 AM
Now as far as other people go in the black community... Let's just say check the media, rap videos, YouTube and so on. That will give you a answer

Damn. I must really not be black then because I don't engage in any of that crap that's supposed to target the "black community," as you phrased it. >.< This is a nasty stereotype. Even I do it. I compartmentalize my own race of people because its been done and still being done to us now by others and to each other. Oh when will this madness come to a halt? :(

~Nixy~

•  

warmbody28

My apologies. It was supposed to say half. Darn autocorrect on my iPhone. But I have noticed a trend in the African American community to be less than accepting of being trans. But they can also at times be very fast to come around and still love you. Just what I noticed in the upper middle class areas in the south and Pennsylvania.
  •  

AnonyMs

Transgender people seem very well accepted in Thailand, with the exception of their government.
  •  

warlockmaker

I like the word culture as opposed to race. I'm most familiar with Asian culture and there is a diverse level of acceptance. It is important that religion, government, developed or third world and the citizen's views be considered. As Anony says the Thai peole fully accept TG, or as they call them Katoey/Ladyboy. The government is a bhuddist and the religion does not need what they feel is right or wrong in laws. Thus their laws on TGs are demeaning only because they are not recognized in thier new gender by law, but there is a law to correct this on the agenda.

Japan, Korea, China, Hong Kong, Singapore and the Phillipines are developed countries (so to speak) and peaceful places and the people, in general, do not to care. Each country have laws to protect and allow gender changes. The people may not be willing to accept so easily, due to family culture, when compared to the Thais. But they can be educated to learn and accept.

Then you have the Moslem countries; Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei. Well what can I say. They are not tolerant of many thingsand sex and sexual preference is a big issue. They do not share the same views ar Iran on TGs.. I would be careful travelling in these countries.

When we first start our journey the perception and moral values all dramatically change in wonderment. As we evolve further it all becomes normal again but the journey has changed us forever.

SRS January 21st,  2558 (Buddhist calander), 2015
  •  

AnonyMs

I've been avoiding flights though the middle east for years now due to their gender and drugs issues. Way to risky for me.

I've also started checking LGBT laws in countries before I'll even think about going there.
  •  

warmbody28

Quote from: AnonyMs on November 16, 2015, 04:51:43 AM
I've been avoiding flights though the middle east for years now due to their gender and drugs issues. Way to risky for me.

I've also started checking LGBT laws in countries before I'll even think about going there.
very smart move. I go to countries i Africa As well as the middle east. its so scary sometimes even if your post op
  •  

BlonT

Races ? What other races ? For as i know there is only one race roaming this planet for quite some time.
There are cultural divergences depending on the group you're in or surrounded by.
I am open to everybody try to have a ear for there way ,until the screw,lie,rob or threaten me THEN  >:-)
  •  

Fids

I've heard from multiple sources that Native American culture strongly supports the existence of more than two genders, and also validates trans people.

Which is also one of the main arguments regarding why erasure of non-binary genders could be considered a form of racism.
  •  

WorkingOnThomas

Quote from: Fids on November 20, 2015, 05:02:23 AM
I've heard from multiple sources that Native American culture strongly supports the existence of more than two genders, and also validates trans people.

Which is also one of the main arguments regarding why erasure of non-binary genders could be considered a form of racism.

Well, the problem there is that there isn't one Native American "culture", and while many different nations had a past history of being accepting of trans people or third genders, that wasn't always the case, didn't always apply equally to mtf's and ftm's, and what tolerance there was has now been eroded in places to the point that trans native kids are suiciding at high rates. :(
  •  

Vinyl Scratch

•