Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Hi all

Started by LauraJ, November 16, 2015, 02:43:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LauraJ

Hi everyone

My name is Laura and I'm just embarking on my new journey. I am 31 and have just started hrt.

I am looking to meet other girls or guys to help me on this journey. I currently live in orange which is a couple of hours from Sydney. I just feel very isolated where I am right now.
  •  

Chrissy1979

Hi and welcome to the site :)
  •  

Laura_7

Hello and welcome  :)

Here are a few resources that could help you:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,194986.msg1737439.html#msg1737439

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=158908.0

And you might look here for example:
https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,195129.msg1758946.html#msg1758946

again, welcome...
just take part, ask questions...
and there is also a chat...

after 15 postings you can send private messages and choose an avatar pic...

hugs
  •  

LauraJ

Thanks for the welcome. Will definitely check out those links. Thsnks
  •  

Rainbow Bay

Hi Laura

I don't know much about Orange but if you can make it to Sydney there are support groups and organisations where you can meet people, like at the Gender Centre in Annandale and there's Queer and Trans yoga in Redfern.
  •  

Cindy

•  

LauraJ

I went to the gender centre a months ago. Bit of an eye opening place that one. Don't really think it's the place for me. Think I would rather make connections and meet people away from there.

I must say the community that I've come upon in these forums are simply fantastic. Already feel so much less isolated!
  •  

AnonyMs

What didn't you like about the gender center? I've not much use for it, but my reason's probably not very typical.
  •  

LauraJ

It wasn't the staff or anyone like that. I went to one of there groups and it was the other girls at the group. I don't think one of them was sober and I didn't feel very comfortable being there. Was relaxed one bit and haven't been back since.

Of course this is just me experience. May have been a bad day for the other girls. I don't know. Was enough to turn me off though.
  •  

Laura_7

Quote from: LauraJ on December 14, 2015, 03:25:43 AM
It wasn't the staff or anyone like that. I went to one of there groups and it was the other girls at the group. I don't think one of them was sober and I didn't feel very comfortable being there. Was relaxed one bit and haven't been back since.

Of course this is just me experience. May have been a bad day for the other girls. I don't know. Was enough to turn me off though.

Well you might look for other groups... there might be other ones...

and there might be meetup groups...

hugs
  •  

Catherine Sarah

Hi Laura,

A big Aussie welcome to Susan's family. It's good of you to drop in and say "Hi". Hope you like it here, and you stay for a while.

There is a mountain of information, resources and friendship waiting for you here, you just need to jump in start talking and ask any question you like. You're quite safe here and we are very accepting.

Orange is such a beautiful place, and in reasonable distance to Sydney. You lucky soul. But yes, not much of a community out there. Seahorse sometimes do a trip out west, but you wouldn't fit in. They're more a glitz, glamour and faux fur community.

And I feel for your adventures with the Gender Centre. I know the clientele you speak of. Not a good representation of Sydney's community.

How often, if at all do you get to Sydney? There is a fortnightly dinner at Parramatta RSL if that's of any benefit. Otherwise there is a group in Katoomba that have regular activities.

Looking forward to hearing more of your story in time to come, but in the meantime, be safe, well and happy.

Speak to you as soon as I pick some strawberries.

Lotsa huggs
Catherine

If you're in Australia and are subject to Domestic Violence or Violence against Women, call 1800-RESPECT (1800-737-7328) for assistance.
  •  

LauraJ

Hi Catherine. Thanks for that. Do you know the name of the group in Katoomba? I don't get to Sydney as often as I'd like currently.
  •  

Claire_Sydney

Hi Laura,

Nice to meet you.  I am in a pretty similar position to yourself - mid 30's, just started HRT, living in Sydney.  I found the Gender Centre to be a bit of an eye opener too - it quickly eliminated any sense of self-pity I was experiencing with my own circumstances.  I don't think I'll be joining their support group, but I did get some useful info and assistance from their caseworker.

I imagine you must feel a little isolated living somewhere like Orange - still, it's a beautiful place with the world's best food and wine festival!

One thing I have been doing which is fun and helps my transition along is getting a 90-minute makeup lesson every 6 weeks at one of the big cosmetics retailers.  It's a little expensive, but the one I have been going to has been very trans-friendly and helpful - worth the cost if you can stretch for it.  It makes me feel human and teaches me skills that will ease my transition later on.  I probably won't get a chance to do another lesson until February, but you're more than welcome to join me if you'd like (or anyone else from Sydney and surrounds!)

Look forward to hearing about your journey some more.

Hugs.

Claire
  •  

Ms Grace

Hi Claire - I'm also from Sydney, plenty of other ladies on Susan's are too!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Claire_Sydney

Hi Grace!

Nice to meet you!  Glad to hear there are plenty of other Sydney-siders on here.  I love living in Sydney (current weather notwithstanding).  I catch the train over the bridge most days and the beautiful colours of the harbour make me smile every time. It's a good place to call home.  Which area do you live in?

[Disclaimer: I also love New York and had plans to move this year - but I really need my family, friends, stable job and a strong EO legal regime for the next 18-24 months]

•  

katrinaw

Welcome to Susan's Claire...
Yep another Sydneysider (Western, near Penrith and the blue mountains  ;D)

And yep, the weather is pretty dismal currently  :(

L Katy  :-*
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

Jenny07

Welcome

As I jump in a big Sydney puddle and soak everyone. ;D

So long and thanks for all the fish
  •  

Claire_Sydney

Hi ladies. Nice to meet you.

There are indeed lots of Sydney-siders!  Being a transwoman in Sydney is becoming more normal for me by the minute.   :)
  •  

katrinaw

Quote from: Jenny07 on January 04, 2016, 05:39:19 AM
Welcome

As I jump in a big Sydney puddle and soak everyone. ;D

LoL

I think (Quack, Quack!)

Katy
Long term MTF in transition... HRT since ~ 2003...
Journey recommenced Sept 2015  :eusa_clap:... planning FT 2016  :eusa_pray:

Randomly changing 'Katy PIC's'

Live life, embrace life and love life xxx
  •  

roxie rudi

Hi from another Sydneysider Laura. I know Orange a wee bit because I lived in Bathurst for a while. Nice place but I was born and raised in Sydney so it's my home. There's certainly more to do do in Sydney as well, there are no problematical "aggies" and it's not not so COLD in winter. Enjoy and have fun at Susan's.
Ciao,
xoxo,
Roxanne.
Be beautiful! Be brave!
  •