Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Wanted to start a gym membership but?

Started by an0npr0xi01, December 19, 2015, 11:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

an0npr0xi01

I would like to start a gym membership. But I'm afraid that I might be treated differently from other customers due to obvious circumstance? Are there certain gyms known for being more open to having trans customers and are there things I should know before the experience?
  •  

Sydney_NYC

Planet Fitness does have a non-judgement policy and their company wide policy is for you to use the locker room of the gender you identify with. Some states (like NJ) have a non-discrimination law that allows you to use the restroom or locker room of the gender you identify with. I'm a member of 24 Hour Fitness and had zero issues when I joined a few months ago. They don't have any policy whatsoever, but I'm in NJ, so it doesn't matter. Also all my documentation has been changed and I pass extremely well so they don't even know I'm trans. I've had zero issues with the ladies locker room, but I'm only comfortable enough to change down to my panties. (With a simple tuck, you can't tell I'm pre-op.)
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

JLT1

I was a member of anytime fitness and had no issues but there were a number of small unisex restrooms.  Now, I'm a member of LA Fitness  (they have a pool and I like to swim).  No problem in the woman's locker room.

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

FTMax

I have a membership at Planet Fitness and I've had it through every stage of my transition. I did take a 4 month break and cancel my membership around the time I had top surgery. I wanted to update all of my documents and start fresh with a new membership instead of updating the old one.

I have never had any issues using the locker rooms, people staring, being treated differently. I've never had to speak to the staff beyond checking in at the front desk. I've never interacted with anyone aside from my roommate who also has a membership there.

The gym is a pretty solitary activity unless you're in workout classes. Your best bet is to find a national chain that you like and sign up. They're more likely to not care that you're trans, or have policies in place to protect you.
T: 12/5/2014 | Top: 4/21/2015 | Hysto: 2/6/2016 | Meta: 3/21/2017

I don't come here anymore, so if you need to get in touch send an email: maxdoeswork AT protonmail.com
  •  

JennyBear

Agree wholeheartedly with Planet Fitness.

They even made national news a while back for kicking out a female member that was making anti-trans comments. Their only downside is that if the exercise you want to do requires a spotter, their staff is prohibited from doing it, for liability reasons. Once I started HRT I no longer had a need for free weights and can do aerobic and calisthenics exercises at home, so the cost, while minimal at $20 a month still didn't beat free.

One thing to keep in mind. Any workout is easier and more fun to do with a friend. You also have a ready spotter for heavier exercises, and a personal motivation assistant. You might have to pony up the membership fees for them if they're broke and your gym has no guest allotments, but usually worth it for the results.
"Don't be fooled by the rocks that I got. I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block."
  •