News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Caitlyn Jenner & the Republican Party

Started by Adchop, February 21, 2016, 09:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adchop

Caitlyn Jenner: I get more flak for being Republican than transgender

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/269909-jenner-i-get-more-flak-for-being-a-republican-than-a-transgender-woman

The Hill/By Rebecca Savransky    February 18, 2016, 04:22 pm

I found this article to be interesting. As a sometimes right leaning independent, I can understand how she feels in being transgender & a conservative.
  •  

Joelene9

I DO get more flak being a Republican than being transgender! Been there Caitlyn!

Joelene
  •  

sparrow

If Jenner ran for prez, I'd still vote for Bernie.  ;)
  •  

Deborah

Honestly, I don't understand voting for people who go out of their way to say the most denigrating things about us and who explicitly state they will do everything in their power to legislate against us. 

Even if their economic promises were true, which I don't believe anymore anyway, that won't help at all if their laws allow anyone to fire you from your job simply for a trans identity.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

roseyfox

I rather not
  •  

diane 2606

Is there is a trans Republican who can explain why?
"Old age ain't no place for sissies." — Bette Davis
Social expectations are not the boss of me.
  •  

Adchop

For me I have gravitated more toward the fiscal conservative aspects of traditional conservatism, but I'm not on board with many of their beliefs.

Banning all abortions, & their anti-LGBT platform will have to evolve, otherwise the Republican party is at risk of being left behind.

Something Caitlyn said that resonates with me is that many Republicans believe in "live and let live", it's just that unfortunately there aren't enough yet in the party who think that way. Hopefully it will change.
  •  

diane 2606

Quote from: Adchop on February 22, 2016, 12:45:38 PM
Something Caitlyn said that resonates with me is that many Republicans believe in "live and let live"...

It's Libertarians who say that, not Republicans.
"Old age ain't no place for sissies." — Bette Davis
Social expectations are not the boss of me.
  •  

Adchop

Quote from: diane 2606 on February 22, 2016, 12:49:43 PM
It's Libertarians who say that, not Republicans.

There are libertarians within the Republican party (Rand Paul). One of the problems in American politics is that being a major political candidate requires choosing to either become a member of the republican, or democratic party.

If I could change the American political system, one thing I would do is go to a more parliamentary style system in terms of political parties.

A 2 party system leaves out individuals like myself, who don't neatly fit into either party's beliefs.

I try to vote by the issues, & not the party line. It would be nice if there were a party that was more closely aligned with the majority of my beliefs.
  •  

Deborah

The problem with voting on issues for an individual is that at the national level in congress they have to vote the party line, especially as junior members.

Sapere Aude
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Adchop

Quote from: Deborah on February 22, 2016, 03:21:42 PM
The problem with voting on issues for an individual is that at the national level in congress they have to vote the party line, especially as junior members.

Sapere Aude

True, which is why I would like to see the 2 party system go away. There would be more freedom to break from party dogma, which I would suspect more individuals would do if they didn't fear reprisal from their party heads. If a person in the Republican party votes any different than than the expected way they should vote, they get branded a RINO
  •