News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

A side of Lincoln you may not have seen

Started by stephaniec, March 13, 2016, 01:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

A side of Lincoln you may not have seen

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/18/us/gallery/tbt-abraham-lincoln-portraits/index.html

CNN/By Phil Gast, CNN Updated 8:53 AM ET, Thu March 10, 2016

"Lincoln in Chicago, probably on October 27, 1854. The photographer was the eloquently named J.C.F. Polycarpus von Schneidau. Von Schneidau, a European immigrant who opposed slavery, got the first photograph of Lincoln in eight years. Lincoln came to understand that the reproduction of such images would enhance his career, biographer Harold Holzer note

"Alexander Hesler took this photograph of Lincoln in Chicago on February 28, 1857. The politician called this a "very true" portrait, "though my wife, and many others, do not (agree). My impression is that their objection arises from the disordered condition of the hair." For five generations, the Meserve-Kunhardt family has doggedly collected and protected some of the most valuable and rare Lincoln photographs and memorabilia. It all started when Frederick H. Meserve got the collecting bug when trying to find suitable images for the diary of his father, a Union soldier who met Lincoln at the Antietam battlefield in 1862.

10 photos: A side of Lincoln you may not have seen"
  •  

itsApril

-April
  •  

stephaniec

•  

Joelene9

There was an article in one of my astronomy magazines with a picture of Lincoln as a young lawyer in a white suit. In the article the story behind that old tintype was a trial that he defended a client accused of murder. Lincoln used the lunar data in the Poor Richard's Almanac to exonerate his client finding that the near full moon on the night of the murder was too low in the horizon at meridan to clear the trees to illuminate the crime scene making the witness testimony invalid. Lincoln bought that white suit especially for that trial. He knew then that appearances was everything as mentioned in that article. Honest Abe, the true Republican. Accept no imitations.

Joelene
  •  

stephaniec

•  

sumail1234

•  

Maria77

CA Tripp. Argued that Lincoln was gay/bi.  Although most historians argue against this, it does seem that Abe may have embraced the rainbow.
  •  

stephaniec

•  

itsApril

Quote from: stephaniec on May 09, 2016, 02:18:09 AM
I heard he was a vampire slayer

Then we'd better bring him back!  The Republican Party is overrun by vampires these days!
-April
  •  

Colleen M

Quote from: itsApril on May 09, 2016, 03:12:03 PM
Then we'd better bring him back!  The Republican Party is overrun by vampires these days!

Considering that he also turned Indiana into a de facto dictatorship in 1863, a little caution with the Lincoln model is advised. 
When in doubt, ignore the moral judgments of anybody who engages in cannibalism.
  •