Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

how to transition in a professional job.

Started by 0r3V0iD, March 14, 2016, 12:40:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0r3V0iD

Has anyone here transitioned while working in a professional job.  I work in pathology and scared I could be fired from the lab I work at if I start the transitioning process.  I live in a state that doesn't have LGBT discrimination laws.  So another question what would be the best place to transfer to where law will protect me and society would accept a mtf in a professional role.  Otherwise I feel like I should quit my journey and just try to live a ivate life.  I don't think I could find someone who would understand me in a relationship.  I'm attracted to other transgender ladies but kind of feels hopeless too.
  •  

Cindy

Hi Hon and welcome to Susan's

I transitioned while running three Pathology labs! I didn't have an issue and everyone accepted me with no problems at all. In fact everyone liked the fact that I went from a morose angry belligerent man to a loving, happy and supportive woman.

I also found out that I had a transman and a Gay guy in my labs who had been hiding because they were afraid of coming out. Needless to say they didn't have a problem either.

That said I'm in Australia and we are a tolerant lot with strong anti discrimination law

To help you around the site please check out the following links for general site info...

•  

0r3V0iD

Thanks.  I just feel trapped where I am.  Wish I could go to Australia but I think I have to get recertification.  I was curious about California, New York and Washington state on how they treat people transitioning in a profession.  I know they have anti-discrimination laws but just wanted to be sure the laws there do encourage the hiring of professionals that are transgendered or in the process of transitioning.  I really need to transfer to a place where I do have job security.
  •  

Cindy

My understanding is that Cal has strong laws as well. But other girls will let you know.

I will say something.

The biggest fear you have as a professional is rejection and ridicule. Ridicule I found rare. But acceptance was another thing.

Why?

I'm a woman, and I found out quickly that women are second class citizens in professional jobs. Experiencing that and knowing it empowered me. It also brought me closer to other women and them to me.

•  

Jacqueline

Quote from: 0r3V0iD on March 14, 2016, 03:01:31 AM
Thanks.  I just feel trapped where I am.  Wish I could go to Australia but I think I have to get recertification.  I was curious about California, New York and Washington state on how they treat people transitioning in a profession.  I know they have anti-discrimination laws but just wanted to be sure the laws there do encourage the hiring of professionals that are transgendered or in the process of transitioning.  I really need to transfer to a place where I do have job security.

Hi,

I can tell you that NY has some laws in place but it is the attitudes of Cities that define acceptance and protection. As far as the state itself, at this point the state law was put into place by the Governor. That means the next one can strike it if they choose to. Fairly unlikely but possible.

If you are thinking NY city, obviously that is a pretty safe bet that you would be in a better spot than say a small town way upstate(unfair speculation on my part, but I live in the center of that state and am used to traveling to different parts). Albany and Rochester seem more tolerant than Buffalo, but that is based on my visiting these cities. I am willing to bet, in the right City in NY you will be supported almost as well as any other state.

Good luck,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

0r3V0iD

Thanks Joanna.  I was curious about Albany.  That was the first place I thought about in NY.  Though I saw plenty of hospitals in NYC with my posistion open.  I just know it's so expensive to live there.  I could live in a suburb and leave 3 hrs early due to traffic.  Plus one of the hospital I was looking at was several blocks south of Evolve lounge.  Been wanting to go there.  Have some TG girlfriends I play multiplayer games with on the PS4 that goes there.  I could always go for an interview and mention I am transitioning just to see I am accepted.  I have 10 years of experience in my profession so I hope they look at that more.  Also NY doesn't have that right to work law.  We have that here.  Where new hires can have their salary cut.  That's what my parents worry about.  That and me getting hurt.  My parents are supportive.
  •