News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

How safe is the UK for us

Started by Bregje, April 17, 2016, 04:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlotte F

Quote from: Julia1996 on October 25, 2017, 10:07:27 AM
I do want to ask some questions while we are discussing Britain.  I have heard that they won't change your gender marker even if you have had surgery. Also, you can be arrested for wearing female clothes. And worst of all I have heard that even if someone has had SRS they would still be sent to a male prison. Is any of this true?

You definitely won't get arrested for wearing female clothes.  Up until 50 years ago, it was illegal to be gay in the UK and around that time things would have most likely ended badly but not today.  In fact there are many openly transgender police officers serving today

Changing your gender marker is not quite as straight forward as some countries but as Elis said, changing your name is super easy

If you have changed your gender marker then you should be sent to a prison that matches your legal gender.  Unfortunately a year or two ago, I remember one transwoman (I think post-op) who hadn't got around to changing her marker being sent to a male prison.  There was outrage and a petition was started.  It racked up so many signatures that her case had to be debated in parliament.  As far as I remember, the prison service ultimately moved her to a female prison.  Until the law is changed, there is still that chance you could end up in the wrong prison unless you have successfully changed your marker

•  

Anonymouth

Quote from: Elis on October 25, 2017, 11:03:54 AM
To get a new birth certificate you have to live 2 years in your new gender role and have proof of doing so; no medical procedures required; your application then needs to be assessed by a group of strangers and you get no say in the process. You also have to pay £ 140 for the privilege so pretty crap. On the plus side you can change the gender on your id by getting a letter from your GP saying your change of gender is permanent. And changing your name us free by printing off a deed poll document.

You can't be arrested for wearing female clothes. It's probably another nonsense old timey law either nobody has bothered to change bcos it's so ridiculous or its a myth. Never heard of anyone getting arrested for wearing women's clothes.

And the prison one is unfortunately true for the most part.

Thankfully you only have to pay £140 if you earn more than £1089 a month. I got my Gender Recognition Certificate a few months ago, and while it was a bit of faffing about (mostly from the doctor wanting to write a whole report and trying to charge me £120 for it- I promptly told them a few sentences would be fine so they did it for free), it's worth it. You get a nice new birth certificate with your deed poll name and actual gender on it, so you don't have to come out as trans to employers/interviewers/ID checks anymore. Apart from possibly the doctor's paragraph, the only thing to pay for is the statutory declaration, which usually costs about £5 and takes 10 minutes to recite some lines.

I'm not sure about other countries, but I think the UK is quite good for transgender people. I feel safe here most of the time. The only things that make me stand out are my voice (which just makes people think I'm gay, which I am so whatever) and my height because I'm 4'9. I come from a small countryside village and I don't get too much bother here, but I have been living in the same house since I was born. I find London much better and safer because it's so diverse.
  •  

judithlynn

I live in the West Country (Devon at least part of the year - the warm months) and these days the United Kingdom generally is a very  positive place to be. Mind you, I blend in very well, living as a woman. I rarely get read and  find people very caring. However as a woman I am careful where I walk especially at night. If you are looking for any clubs or places to go, one of the best clubs in Pink POunters in Bletchley in Bucks (every weekend)  and a number of places in London such a the Way Out Club.
Have a great trip.
:-*
Hugs

•