Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

I created a white house petition to end trans exclusions in health insurance.

Started by msgallows, April 29, 2016, 01:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

msgallows

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov//petition/end-transgender-discrimination-all-health-insurance-programs

As we all know this is a huge issue for our community. Right now, as the focus is on where we piss, we are being sidelined from one of the most critical parts of saving transgender lives. Obama has been critical in ending health care discrimination and I think his administration would be receptive but we're not getting airtime for this issue.

I know, cynicism, petitions. But getting this heard over and over is the only way we move forward. It's the only way we ever have. Please, sign it and share this everywhere, privately with friends or publicly through social media.

I'm also looking for help in signal boosting through various social media. I'm not private about my real life identity so feel free to PM me if you can devote an hour a day for the next 29 days. We have 29 days and I need a team. Join my team.

Cheers!
  •  

Obfuskatie

I signed it, but I don't know if this'll do anything to help push (G)ENDA through. It's been stuck in congress for over a decade, despite how hard Barney Frank tried to get it through.

Hugs,
- Katie
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •  

msgallows

Thanks.

Tell me about it. My enthusiasm outweighs my realism by an order of magnitude. Though we've made it this far and I have to believe we can overcome these final hurdles in transgender equality and protection. We'll make it as long as we don't relent.

Please share this as much as you feel inclined.

:)
  •  

Tysilio

The Obama administration is doing its best on this. Last fall, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services issued a proposed rule on Section 1557 of the ACA. It's supposed to be finalized sometime in June. If it's finalized as written, all insurers, both public and private, will be prohibited from discriminating on the basis of gender identity. This is the relevant section:

Equal Program Access on the Basis of Sex (ยง 92.206)

Section 92.206 proposes that covered entities be required to provide individuals equal access to their health programs or activities without discrimination on the basis of sex and proposes that covered entities treat individuals consistent with their gender identity. This provision applies to all health programs and activities, and prohibits, among other forms of adverse treatment, the denial of access to facilities administered by the covered entity. This proposed approach is consistent with the principle that discrimination on the basis of sex includes discrimination on the basis of gender identity and that failure to treat individuals in accordance with their gender identity may constitute prohibited discrimination. It is also consistent with recent guidance issued and enforcement actions taken by the U.S. Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Justice, and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. [72]

The limited exception to the requirement that covered entities treat individuals consistent with their gender identity is that a covered entity may not deny or limit health services that are ordinarily or exclusively available to individuals of one gender based on the fact that the individual's sex assigned at birth, gender identity, or gender otherwise recorded in a medical record or by a health insurance plan is different from the one to which such health services are ordinarily or exclusively available. The exception applies only in limited circumstances. For example, a covered entity may not deny an individual treatment for ovarian cancer where the individual could benefit medically from the treatment, based on the individual's identification as a transgender male.

Needless to say, this will be a complete game-changer for those of us in the US, if the final rule is issued as written.

Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

msgallows

Fantastic. I was not aware.

Although, my big hesitation with this language is no wording that bans deeming a medically necessary procedure "cosmetic" and says nothing of SRS. Am I missing something?

That said, I get how this is important. Covering gyno appointments would seem important, among other things.

P.S. Our petition can now be reached through www.transgendercare.us . It redirects to the White House petition. Should make it easier to talk about and share.
  •