Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Is this a problem?

Started by Gemini, May 05, 2016, 06:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gemini

I've been on HRT six weeks, an anti-depressant (Lexapro) for about 4 months. Before I started the Lexapro, even small amounts of alcohol would make me sick. Now I can drink. As in, 2 liters of 80 proof a week.

This is new for me. Not for my family though; my Mom and my sister are pretty heavy drinkers, and it doesn't seem to cause them any problems. So there's little motivation for me to exercise restraint.

Should I be worried? Or just go with it?
  •  

Laura_7

I would concentrate money and energy on other things.

I'd say try to have a good transition, and try to sort out your feelings without alcohol.

hugs
  •  

Dena

I think that is a problem on two fronts. A social drinker might have 3 or 4 drinks over the period of a week. You are well above that level and while it may not be a problem yet, it could become one.
The second problem is that alcohol is a depressant and with you on an antidepressant, that isn't wise or healthy to do. Drug interactions can be lethal so multiple drugs should only be taken at the same time if your doctor approves. Many people have died because alcohol can multiply the effect of another drug causing a net overdose.
I want you to have a long happy life but mixing drugs can shorten it.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Feminator

You should not drink on SSRIs. They won't absorb into your system and anything in your blood will be excreted so the medicine will not work. Also, depending which one it is, it could cause really bad things to happen.

Not only that, but you are drinking a crap load of alcohol. Anything more than 2 drinks a day for males, 1 for females is a detriment to your health. That is one 12 oz beer, 5oz of wine or 1 shot, which is 1.5 oz of other alcohol.

2 liters, is 45 shots(22.5 each liter) at 1.5 oz each, a week. Divided by 7 days and that is approximately 6 1/2 drinks per day.  That is a lot of alcohol, you need to reassess your drinking habits. Also, if you have to ask if it is a problem, you realize that it is not normal drinking behavior. You need to either stop, or drastically cut down.     
Do one good thing every day.
  •  

Devlyn

"Is this a problem?"

It will be some day in the future when you want to take control of your life again and alcohol doesn't want to give it back to you. Trust me on this one.  :)

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

April_marrie

Tho guilty of a binge now and again i try and live by moderation .
I find myself not actualy wanting drinks these days where before i was cleansing my liver and kidneys nearly daily with alc .
Before was pre transitioning  . Not sure why but now i might have a few drinks with friends on a weekend but nowhere blitzed anyway thats me   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

Cindy

As one woman who had an alcohol problem to another.

I never had a problem. I could drink a bottle of Scotch a night, felt fine, a few hangovers. Of course it didn't help my depression but so what.

I was cool. I could handle it.

Except when I woke up to my problem. No; when I was forced to wake up to my problem

I was a drunk and everyone knew it but me.

My colleagues pitied me. My friends avoided me, and then left me. They couldn't stand the person who reeked of booze anymore - and why should they? They weren't counsellors.

I never had a problem with alcohol. I was a drunk.

Drunks don't have a problem with alcohol.

When I received help for my past, I was weaned off the booze.

Now I enjoy the occasional single malt. Maybe a glass of nice wine.

But I enjoy it; I'm not controlled by it. I can refuse it. I don't need it.

In the past; I was controlled by it. I couldn't refuse it. I needed it.

Where do you sit?

Honestly.

Now get some help.

•  

Ms Grace

HRT can put stress on your liver, drinking too much booze will do the same - especially the hard stuff. Drinking in moderation is going to be better for your future health and transition.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Gemini

Quote from: Cindy on May 06, 2016, 03:53:37 AM
In the past; I was controlled by it. I couldn't refuse it. I needed it.

Where do you sit?

Honestly.

Now get some help.

I looked up an AA meeting in my city. I don't know if I'll go. But the answer to the question is I do need to drink, can't refuse it.

Thanks for the replies. There's still a part of me that wants to say, "It hasn't caused you any problems. You can handle it." But I don't believe it as much as I did before.
  •  

Dena

AA isn't right for everybody and there are other groups out there that aren't religion based. If you are seeing a therapist, you should discuss it because some the reason you may drink is to deal with the pressure of being transgender. We can accumulate a good deal of emotional baggage getting to the point of transitioning and unfortunately it doesn't vanish once we start transitioning. I suggest some therapy for everybody just to make sure our life is under control but some of us need more than a few sessions.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Gemini

Quote from: Dena on May 06, 2016, 05:03:56 PM
AA isn't right for everybody and there are other groups out there that aren't religion based.

I'm an atheist so yeah, maybe AA isn't right for me...I am seeing a therapist though. I'll bring it up with her.
  •  

Feminator

My wife is 14 years clean and sober and she is not religious,either. It saved her life.

It is a common misconception that AA is just for religious people, it is not. They have meeting for Atheists, Pagans and everyone in between. When they say God you think Good Orderly Direction.( GOD). That is what my wife did and it worked for her.

Go to a few and see what is right for you, but get the help. Good Luck.
Do one good thing every day.
  •  

Gemini

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied. I've been sober ten days now and I'm so glad I quit. I'm exercising more, I don't feel like crap every morning, and I'm noticing the positive effects of HRT on my mood again. I've waited my whole life for this and I don't want to miss it in a drunken haze.   

•  

Devlyn

I'm really glad to hear this, congratulations!  :)

Knowing that there's a problem is the first step to a solution.

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Shady

Hi,

Late answer, new to the forums.

Pharmacist here :)

Lexapro (escitalopram) is a SSRI (as mentionned in the comments), which are known to potentiate the cognitive and motor effect of alcohol. Although, escitalopram is particular in the way that the monograph clearly mentions that it did not potentiate the effect of alcohol. Concomitant use is still not recommended.

I'd suggest to drink moderately as others have mentioned, but rest assured, nothing bad will happen if you take some alcohol with Lexapro.

Hope you transition is doing well,
Cheers!
  •