Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Current Affairs This dad actually pulled his sons out of school over a trans s

Started by stephaniec, May 27, 2016, 02:33:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephaniec

This dad actually pulled his sons out of school over a trans student

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2016/05/27/this-dad-actually-pulled-his-sons-out-of-school-over-a-trans-student/

Pink News/By Joseph Patrick McCormick  05/27/2016

"A father in the US state of Michigan set the worst example this week by pulling his three sons out of school over a trans student.
Matt Stewart took his sons out of the Southwest Elementary School in Livingston, Michigan.
He said that his 9-year-old son had said a trans boy had been allowed to use the boy's toilets at the school."
  •  

Michelle_P

Another poor victim of parental transphobia.  Those 9 year old transmen are pretty scary...  Or not.
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Gertrude

Pity the fool. We've made a lot if progress in the last year, but we have a long way to go.

Sent from my iPhone, inspected and certified by the NSA
  •  

pt98701

So the father made a crucial educational decision for his children based on something as trivial as that? One wonders what life must be like in that home.
  •  

Emileeeee

That seems like a bad way to protest, keeping your own kids from an education.
  •  

Eva Marie

As a parent I completely understand the worry that parents have that the world outside the home is a big scary place. I believe that the way to prepare children to live in such a word is through age-appropriate education, not isolation. It is one of your responsibilities as a parent to be knowledgeable and to be able to intelligently discuss these things with your kids within the framework of your beliefs.

Totally shielding children from being aware of how the world really operates is only going to lead to adults that don't know how to accept and live with people different than them later in life. Teaching your kids about other people that are different isn't indoctrinating them to be different; it is equipping them with important life knowledge that they'll need to understand that the world is a very diverse place and that there are many kinds of people in it. And hopefully such teaching helps kids understand that even though some people are different they still deserve basic human respect.

It is unfortunate for his kids that this fearful father bought into the bathroom lies hook, line and sinker.
  •