News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

"Where were the TGs these last 30 years?"

Started by Hazumu, October 22, 2007, 11:23:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazumu

Okay, I'm mad now.

I'm really tired of that portion of the LGBT community (mostly made up of white conservative gay-males, it appears to me,) who are 'blaming the victim' in order to justify an orientation-only ENDA.

Their specious argument is; "Like Chicken Little, we've been tirelessly educating straight society and congress on our issues for the 30 years since Stonewall, and now that we're about to finally get our due, here come these transsexuals, expecting 'their half' of the rights we've tirelessly labored to create."

The argument goes that TG is the new problem, only created by the very recent advances in surgery and hormone therapy, and so the TGs necessarily need to get in line and wait their turn to get theirs.  Or, why weren't the TGs there side by side with the gays, fighting for this issue?  And thus it's their (TGs) fault for not being recognized.

Well, I'm just sick of seeing these attacks in blogs and print articles.

The TG community was 'absent' for the past 30 years for very good reason.  Unlike a white gay male who has no gender identity issues or they are so minor (compared to TG individuals) that he can project an air of normality while enjoying a meal at a restaurant or while at work, and whose 'issue' (same-sex orientation) does not 'leap out at you' and in fact can relatively easily remain hidden, until recently Transgender individuals, and especially male-to-female transgender individuals, have had to engage in 'deep stealth' for the past 30 years, hiding in plain sight, as it were, in order to achieve a similar level of normalcy in their daily lives -- or risk being a lightning-rod for hatred, with the attendant loss of access to basic necessities such as a decent job, housing, and safety.

Shame on them!  Shame on those who suggest we deserve what we get - being left out in the cold - because we did not come out as fully as they could to pave the way so that we, too, may share in the civil-rights-for-queers loaf that the brave gay-males created all by themselves.

This specious argument, and the others that have been used by Rep. Franks and others to justify the I-got-mine-jack attitude must be analyzed and countered, pronto, before they become 'gospel' and solidify, and it does really take the TG community to get our due in civil rights.

Karen

P.S.,  If you like the argument or the piece, please spread it around.  Rewrite it to suit you, if you wish, but please, if you pass it on unchanged, credit me.  ;)
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Karen on October 22, 2007, 11:23:17 AM
Okay, I'm mad now.

I'm really tired of that portion of the LGBT community (mostly made up of white conservative gay-males, it appears to me,) who are 'blaming the victim' in order to justify an orientation-only ENDA.

Their specious argument is; "Like Chicken Little, we've been tirelessly educating straight society and congress on our issues for the 30 years since Stonewall, and now that we're about to finally get our due, here come these transsexuals, expecting 'their half' of the rights we've tirelessly labored to create."

The argument goes that TG is the new problem, only created by the very recent advances in surgery and hormone therapy, and so the TGs necessarily need to get in line and wait their turn to get theirs.  Or, why weren't the TGs there side by side with the gays, fighting for this issue?  And thus it's their (TGs) fault for not being recognized.

Well, I'm just sick of seeing these attacks in blogs and print articles.

The TG community was 'absent' for the past 30 years for very good reason.  Unlike a white gay male who has no gender identity issues or they are so minor (compared to TG individuals) that he can project an air of normality while enjoying a meal at a restaurant or while at work, and whose 'issue' (same-sex orientation) does not 'leap out at you' and in fact can relatively easily remain hidden, until recently Transgender individuals, and especially male-to-female transgender individuals, have had to engage in 'deep stealth' for the past 30 years, hiding in plain sight, as it were, in order to achieve a similar level of normalcy in their daily lives -- or risk being a lightning-rod for hatred, with the attendant loss of access to basic necessities such as a decent job, housing, and safety.

Shame on them!  Shame on those who suggest we deserve what we get - being left out in the cold - because we did not come out as fully as they could to pave the way so that we, too, may share in the civil-rights-for-queers loaf that the brave gay-males created all by themselves.

This specious argument, and the others that have been used by Rep. Franks and others to justify the I-got-mine-jack attitude must be analyzed and countered, pronto, before they become 'gospel' and solidify, and it does really take the TG community to get our due in civil rights.

Karen

P.S.,  If you like the argument or the piece, please spread it around.  Rewrite it to suit you, if you wish, but please, if you pass it on unchanged, credit me.  ;)

Unfortunately this type of issue has been going on for a long time.  We have never been fully accepted as an equal part or partner of the GLB movement/community.  That doesn't justify their disdain towards us.  One needs to remember that for the most part it wasn't the Trans community who grouped us with the GLB  community, it was others, mainly medical, and social professionals who didn't want to take the time and effort to create a separate entity/group under the umbrella term Transgender.  To many it was a logical grouping as cross-dressing, and transvestism like the gay and lesbian, is a life style, transsexualism isn't.

Personally I've always disliked being lumped in with the GLB community, not that I don't appreciate what we've gained worldwide through this association, but transsexual needs are best addressed by transsexuals - my opinion...

Here where I live I've always fought on behalf of transsexuals, but invariably folks see us as a part of the GLB community.  I know that where I work I've managed get the company to distinguish us from the other group and they now write policy accordingly.

Yep it's maddening.

Steph
  •  

Sheila

We have been part of the fight forever, not just 30 years. I don't know who decided that we were not there. Of course the trans people were not dressed or they were and called drag queens and kings. We were called that even if we never entertained. We were called transvestites too. Our terms that we use today we didn't have then. That is why there wasn't a lot who came out. We were still there, fighting along side the Gay and Lesbians. They were more vocal as people listen to them. Why would anyone listen to a man in a dress or a woman dressed in mens clothes. We were not listen to back then. We still got beat up, killed and raped. We were thrown in jail just cause of the clothes we wore. We lost our jobs, family and our self esteem. We have been through the fight right along with the GLB.
Sheila
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Karen on October 22, 2007, 11:23:17 AM

What is even more infuriating is that the Stonewall incident was incited and fought becuase of the drag element that was there, not just the gay element.  It was the drag queens and kings that were beat up first.  Many of the WGM contingent have been trying to rewrite his-story so that the trans element was never there.  Sorry, this girl ain't going to let them forget!

You may have seen a poll posted in Gay.com that was posted here recently where the question was asked if the Trans group should have been dropped from ENDA, titled "Did They Get it Right?".

I read the comments and while most were neutral or favored an inclusive ENDA, more than a few were vehemently anti-trans ENDA.  And some of the comments were really quite ugly toward transsexuals refering to us as mutilated homosexuals and such.

I was so moved to anger by these unwarrented attacks that I signed up to Gay.com (and passed on the opportunity be part of the gay date scene) and left a comment of my own.

I said that I was a trans woman and supported an inclusive ENDA.  And also said that if the watered down version somehow became law, gays could be descriminated against or fired, not because they were too gay (heaven forbid!) but that they were too FEM!

It's been said the people get the government they deserve.  We trans-folk do not deserve a government like this!

-Sandy (Yeah, I'm pissed too!)
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Hazumu

Quote from: Kassandra on October 22, 2007, 01:43:24 PM
I was so moved to anger by these unwarrented attacks that I signed up to Gay.com (and passed on the opportunity be part of the gay date scene) and left a comment of my own.

I said that I was a trans woman and supported an inclusive ENDA.  And also said that if the watered down version somehow became law, gays could be descriminated against or fired, not because they were too gay (heaven forbid!) but that they were too FEM!

I did that too, posting an analogy that passing a non-inclusive ENDA was like passing a civil rights act that only  protected African-Americans that could already pass for white first.

I saw it on the comments page.

It's not there anymore.

Karen
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Karen on October 22, 2007, 02:37:13 PM

I did that too, posting an analogy that passing a non-inclusive ENDA was like passing a civil rights act that only  protected African-Americans that could already pass for white first.

I saw it on the comments page.

It's not there anymore.

Karen

Does that mean you've been descriminated against?

I saw your comment as well.  I hadn't thought to look to see if it had been pulled.  I'll check tonight when I get home.

As of last evening, my comment was the last one made and no one has posted after that.  Either my curse as a thread killer extends to Gay.com or the bullies got tired of that thread and went on to a more newsworthy topic, such as Ellen Degenerises' dog problem!

-Sandy (I'm still pissed!)
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Lisbeth

Quote from: Kassandra on October 22, 2007, 01:43:24 PM
And some of the comments were really quite ugly toward transsexuals refering to us as mutilated homosexuals and such.
The things these same people say about bisexuals aren't any kinder.

Let it be noted that over 350 GLBT organizations have signed on as supporting inclusion.  The hate mongers are being so loud and abusive because they are in the minority and they are losing the support of those around them.  The rear guard always fights the hardest.
"Anyone who attempts to play the 'real transsexual' card should be summarily dismissed, as they are merely engaging in name calling rather than serious debate."
--Julia Serano

http://juliaserano.blogspot.com/2011/09/transsexual-versus-transgender.html
  •  

Hazumu

Quote from: Kassandra on October 22, 2007, 03:02:33 PM
Does that mean you've been descriminated against?

I saw your comment as well.  I hadn't thought to look to see if it had been pulled.  I'll check tonight when I get home.

Thanks for verifying I'm not crazy.  I posted an expanded article, saved the text, took a screenshot, saved the page, and at the end of the article dared whomever to delete the comment.

Karen

(posted at gay.com as Hazumu)
  •  

LostInTime

We were ignored, not absent. Big difference.
  •  

Sandy

Quote from: Karen on October 22, 2007, 04:02:11 PM
Thanks for verifying I'm not crazy.  I posted an expanded article, saved the text, took a screenshot, saved the page, and at the end of the article dared whomever to delete the comment.

Karen

(posted at gay.com as Hazumu)

Karen:

I found your post, here is the link, it's the last one on the page:
http://www.gay.com/news/discuss.html?discussion_id=176613&discuss_uri=%2Fnews%2Fdiscuss.html&title=false&ruri=%2Fcontent%2Fslideshow%2Fsplash.html&navpath=%2Fchannels%2Fbusiness%2Fcareer%2Fdiscussions&sernum=4996&coll=slide_collection&discuss_id=176613&page=1

You said you made another, expanded post, I didn't see that in the comments.  Did you put it somewhere else?

-Sandy
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Shana A

We've been there since the beginning. In fact, a transwoman, Sylvia Rivera, was among the first protesters at Stonewall.

I'm pissed off too. I'm also pleased by all the support we're getting, and that so many in the community aren't willing to see an ENDA that doesn't include ALL of us.

I've written to my congresswoman, a number of times of this past week. I'll keep writing...

y2g
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

gennee

It was TGs who got the ball rolling on gay liberation. The Compton Cafeteria riots in San Francisco in 1966 was started when transgenders and drag queens got tired of the police harassment. Three years later it was the Stonewall rebellion started by the late Sylvia Rivera, a transgender woman.

Trangenders have always been at the forefront of many social movements throughout history.  I am part Native American (Choctaw) and crossdressing and transgender has been a part of my heritage. I am proud of that heritage and am learning more about it.

Gennee 

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •