Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

"You were supposed to have been a girl"

Started by Asche, July 15, 2016, 05:18:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asche

Among the many things that have been troubling me ever since I thought I might be transgender in some sense or other is the thought that maybe the reason I want to "be a girl" is my parents' rather obvious preference for girls.  It makes me feel like my transgender urges aren't valid because they're just a neurosis.

Background: I have two older brothers, a younger brother, and a much younger sister.

When I was young, definitely less than 9, I remember my parents telling me on several occasions something like: "before <brother #2> was born, he was supposed to be a girl and we named him <sister's name>, but then he turned out to be a boy so we had to find a different name.  Then before you were born, you were supposed to be a girl and were named <sister's name>, but then you turned out to be a boy.  Then when your mother was pregnant with <brother #4>, he was supposed to be a girl, too."

So when my sister was born, when I was 9, we all knew what her name would be.  And I knew we boys were failed attempts at getting a daughter.

By the time she was two, I noticed that my parents were a lot easier on her.  The same things that would get us whipped with a belt they just laughed at when she did them.  Every thing she did was "cute," whereas we boys were mostly just an annoyance.  She was catered to, when we needed things, we were on our own.  When my older brother would beat me up, my parents' attitude was that I should just fight back; in any case, it wasn't their problem.  I did learn self-reliance that way, but at a cost.  (I don't know what things were like for her when she was much older because I left for college before she was 9 and basically never came home.)

Later on, when we children had children of our own, I noticed that my parents made a point of visiting and spending time with my nieces, whereas my sons, the only boys of that generation, only ever saw my family when I brought them to my family, and they were generally ignored even then.

I guess it's no surprise that I grew up with the idea that girls/women were some higher order of being than boys/men.  They deserve respect and support simply for being female, whereas we have to earn it each day anew by contributing something.  It took me a long time to realize that that wasn't the way other people thought.  Even now, it jolts me when a man does something that shows that he thinks women aren't worth as much as men.  It doesn't compute.

I think it's one reason I have a hard time saying even to myself, "I am a woman."  It's like: how could I ever aspire to being a woman?  I'm just a worthless, expendable man, and if I want any attention or acceptance at all, I have to pay for it by contributing something.  The idea that I might deserve it just for existing is inconceivable, because it was something I never got.
"...  I think I'm great just the way I am, and so are you." -- Jazz Jennings

CPTSD
  •  

VeronicaLynn

My family wanted a boy. They already had a girl. For whatever reason, my sister really wanted a brother much more than a sister. It's funny, when I was really little before I found out about different genitals, I thought there were none other than a hairstyle and clothes, and I was a boy just because my parents wanted me to a boy.

I think they treated me a lot better than my sister. They also are always trying play up any slightly masculine trait I have. I hate it. So glad I don't live near them anymore and only have to deal with them for holidays, though I still love them. Sometimes I feel like being the brother and son because it makes them happy, or because they need me to be.

So that's the other side of the coin, really I don't think I'd be cis if I were switched at birth with a family that wanted a girl, though I might be closer to binary trans if I had been raised in a supportive environment.
  •