Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

How does HRT affect sexuality?

Started by -Mikayla-, August 12, 2016, 02:11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-Mikayla-

Hi everyone! I'm a transgirl who will be starting hormones relatively soon. I've been told that hormones can affect sexuality. I'm bisexual, but mostly am attracted to women. Is it really that probable that in a couple years I might be more interested in men? I don't really want that... it's definitely not enough of an issue to make me not want HRT, but I figured I would ask to see how much it matters.
  •  

kelly_aus

QuoteHow does HRT affect sexuality?

It doesn't. Not one bit - and there's no science to support the idea that it does.
  •  

Dena

Welcome to Susan's Place. There are cases where sexual attraction flip after starting HRT but thats because the person was bisexual before HRT. If you read the site very much you will discover may MtFs who are doing everything they can to remain married to their SO. I don't think this is anything you will need to worry about.

We issue to all new members the following links so you will best be able to use the web site.

Things that you should read

Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

Rachel

Hi Mikayla,

My sexuality did not change. I accepted and my wife found out my sexuality. I am very attracted sexually to guys; however, I could have sex with a woman. I could have sex with a woman 1.5 years ago but now I do not think it would function.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Paige33455

There are issues we can control and others we cannot.  A perfect example is how you feel about being a transgirl - is that a choice or.....?  While there are many things one can control in his or her transition, accept that there are things you'll have to wait to discover along the path.

As a wise Sensei once said - "Patience, grasshopper............when you can take these pebbles from my hand, it will be time for you to leave".
  •  

JoanneB

It would be easy for me to say it had, but in reality it did not. I've always had fantasies of being a woman sexually with a man. When I did my transition experiments back in my early 20's, the reality of it was not like the fantasy. A great reason on top of others I had for stopping the experiment.

In my teens with raging hormones it was easy for me to conflate my attraction to women, the envy, with sexual desire. There was a ton of visual appeal towards women that there never was to males. I know far better now what that appeal was. I also know all too scarily well how much more visual appeal men have, and then some, to me. Even scarier, how much less sexual desire I have towards my wife. TBH - A husband with nicer boobs then hers doesn't do a lot for her either, but....
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Deborah

It hasn't changed mine even a little bit.

I still feel exactly the same which is kind of ambiguous.
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

kaitylynn

My sexuality remains the same as it has always been.  I was never attracted to just men or women...instead I am attracted to a person irrespective of their gender identity or sexual preference.  I enjoy being with my partner and our intimate relations are outstanding, not just sexual either.  She is CIS female and accepts me for me.

To be fair, I am a bit down on guys.  One thing that has changed is my perception of things spoken...I am more in tune with how crass or callous a comment can be and watching guys say things obliviously brought me to wonder if I could ever be truly in a relationship with one.  I recognize that my statement is about the overall package and not just the sex.

Katherine Lynn M.

You've got a light that always guides you.
You speak of hope and change as something good.
Live your truth and know you're not alone.

The restart - 20-Oct-2015
Legal name and gender change affirmed - 27-Sep-2016
Breast Augmentation (Dr. Gupta) - 27-Aug-2018
  •  

JoanneB

Quote from: kaitylynn on August 13, 2016, 08:06:43 AM
To be fair, I am a bit down on guys.  One thing that has changed is my perception of things spoken...I am more in tune with how crass or callous a comment can be and watching guys say things obliviously brought me to wonder if I could ever be truly in a relationship with one.  I recognize that my statement is about the overall package and not just the sex.
Having been a chameleon, being around guys when they don't have to be PC, I know all to well what they say, think and maybe even truly are. To be fair, how much peer-pressure leads to guys trying to out-idiot the other? I suspect a lot. All my life I preferred hanging with the girls just because of this.

Thanks to having had female friends as well as a few real guy-friends, that did let their guards down, I cannot fully buy into the "All Men Are Scum" mantra of a few girlfriends. "All", except for me for some odd reason  :o and, in time, some special guy they found
.          (Pile Driver)  
                    |
                    |
                    ^
(ROCK) ---> ME <--- (HARD PLACE)
  •  

Maybebaby56

Before I started HRT, I had zero interest in guys romantically.  I was strictly interested in women. The idea of being with a man bordered on repulsive.  Now, I notice guys, I find them interesting, and I like their attention.  While I don't think I'm ready for any kind of sexual encounter yet (I'm pre-op), I can definitely imagine it happening.  Obviously, something is changing in me.

As I have posted elsewhere, I still think it is true that HRT does not change your sexuality.  It just broadens it a bit. :)

With kindness,

Terri
"How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives" - Annie Dillard
  •  

I Am Jess

I found mine changing.  That was a surprise to me.
Follow my life's adventures on Instagram - @jessieleeannmcgrath
  •  

SadieBlake

What is supported in the scientific literature is that early - onset trans people both ftm and mtf are more likely to be gay-identified prior to transition, and keep primary attraction so more likely to be hetero identified after transition. Conversely, late-onset trans people are more likely to be hetero identified before, gay after.

That holds up pretty well in my experience, but certainly not 100%.

There are girls (and I assume guys tho I don't know any) who wind up relatively hetero-identified before and after, so yes what you ask does happen. I assume there are also some who find they're gay or lesbian both before and after.

Anecdotally, this has been a surprising change for the people involved. It's something I've wondered about also and would consider a negative outcome.

While nominally bisexual, I'm quite mistrustful of men and also quite sexist toward them. I very definitely do not want to change my orientation and yet knowing others have experienced that leads me to be prepared for the possibility.

Now that I'm on a viable path to transition, I'm also able to imagine sex with a neovagina - before I decided and then started hrt, imaging that was just too painful and so I've contented myself with occasional penetrative anal from my GF and while the opportunity hasn't presented itself I've been open to trying that with a guy (anecdotally the real thing has more pleasure potential than a strap on).

In all of my sexual experience it's been extremely rare that I can simply feel feminine in the moment of orgasm, think maybe twice in 20 years of knowing I'm trans. I'm not good at suspension of disbelief.

That's changed a lot under HRT, I don't even think that's due to the estrogen, rather seeing a path forward it no longer hurts to imagine vaginal sex. That's included more ideation around sex with men. I can't double blind this, knowing it's an issue for me, the thoughts could as well be need to explore where I'll wind up as anything due to the HRT itself.

So I may be shifting that way but for me I strongly suspect it's  more in my head than in the hormones.
🌈👭 lesbian, troublemaker ;-) 🌈🏳️‍🌈
  •  

KathyLauren

I am pre-HRT, so I don't really know what it is going to do to me.  I am strongly attracted to women, and if that changes, it will be a surprise.

However, I am happily married, all the more so since I came out, as my wife has demonstrated amazing loyalty and support for my transition.  Which means that, even though I notice other women and like what I see, I don't act on it.  So if my orientation changes and I find myself noticing men and liking what I see, I simply won't act on that either.  Nothing really changes.  My attraction to my wife is based on a lot more than sex, and that will not change.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

naa

I've heard from a few trans people that their sexuality changed.

I also just did a brief search for scientific research and found one paper that asked 115 trans people about their sexuality.  About 1 in 3 trans women and 1 in 5 trans men reported their sexuality changing.

Hope that helps!
  •