Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Why to wear to my job interview?

Started by Celeste7, August 14, 2016, 09:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celeste7

Hello girls!

I have a job interview with Old Navy this week, and I need some fashion advise.
I have been transitioning for a year now, and on HRT for 3 months.
I am not comfortable wearing mens clothing anymore, and need help deciding what to wear on my interview.
Any advice? I want to know what I can wear so that I can be myself, but also still get a job offer?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!
  •  

aaajjj55

Hi Celeste7!  Welcome to Susan's

Coming from the UK, I'm not acquainted with Old Navy but I presume it's the clothing chain?  Having looked at their website, they look fairly mainstream and not at the cutting edge of fashion.

As with any interview, I'd play it slightily safe, say a trouser suit and blouse - when I'm interviewing, I like to see that the interviewee has made an effort but, equally does not have some personality 'flaw' which is manifested through their clothing!  Dressing smartly also makes you feel good about yourself which will come through in your personality.

I hope this helps and the interview goes well for you.  Do let us all know how you get on,

Amanda
  •  

Celeste7

Thank you and this will be my first interview dressed as a female so I'm nervous and optimistic at the same time. I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes and thanks again.
  •  

Heather14

I interview quite a few people in my line of work and I look for conservative clothes. A white blouse always looks great in an interview along with a dark skirt, knee length. If the applicant wears pants then dark applies as well. Pumps or low heels work best and always have your nails done with light colors or just French tips. The bra should not show through the blouse. If you wear a skirt or dress wear stockings or panty hose. Light makeup always looks best too. No heavy perfume, very light if any at all. And silence your phone. It amazes me how many people don't do that during an interview. Good luck with your interview!

Hugs,
Heather
  •  

Celeste7

Thank you so much for the advice. I am hoping they will accept me and not be prejudice.
I appreciate your advice on the nail color I want to keep my nails painted on this interview, I've been removing all polish on previous interviews. I've been on several interviews recently and still no luck; even hiding my true identity. This time I'm not hiding, and I'm going as me. Wish me luck!
  •  

Celeste7

Hi girls!
I wanted to update y'all on the interview..
I first want to say what I wore on my interviews, yes interviews, I had 2 interviews today!
I bought a nice suit and I wore a cute pair of boots with it. My suit is back, with flare bottoms and I have an amazing white blouse to wear underneath everything. Thanks for the advice!

So my first interview went fantastic! Its for a non-profit organization. They absolutely loved me, and I felt so good afterwards. I follow up next week, and then I find out if I get the position.

My second interview for the clothing store was not so great.. Kinda disappointing really. Everyone in there was like blah. Not a very positive atmosphere, if you know what I mean? The interview was short, and I do not even believe the person interviewing me was present half the time, she kept avoiding eye contact, and no position was offered. I was told I would hear back by the end of the week, but I'm not holding my breath.. I don't believe they are too trans friendly, which is why I applied there in the first place.
  •  

aaajjj55

Dear Celeste

Thanks for updating us - have you heard back from the non-profit organisation yet?  I hope you got good news

It sounds like you chose the perfect interview outfit and I'm sure you must have felt fantastic going as your true self for the first time.

With best wishes,

Amanda
  •  

spx_1112

I couldn't agree more with Heather. Hugs Shannon
  •  

Celeste7

Hi ladies
I actually got a job, I'm so excited.
I've been looking since May.

It felt so good being me! My new job allows me to continue being myself without fear of termination due to any prejudice, I'm so happy.

I needed this job to start my new life as Celeste, and now I can do that.

Thanks again everyone <3
  •  

aaajjj55

Celeste,

That's wonderful news, I'm so happy for you.

I hope the new job is everything you hope it will be.

With best wishes,

Amanda x
  •  

Sspar

Awesome and congratulations...
its more proof that its always best to be yourself..
good luck on your new job..

new beginning 5/15...
HRT 7/15...
BA & Bottom 10/26/16 (Rummer)...
VFS 11/16/16 (Haben)...
  •  

DawnOday

You are an inspiration. Thank you for relating your experience.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•