Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Cult Classics We Love

Started by V M, September 10, 2016, 05:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassi

A 20-something son of a military officer feels like a woman trapped in a man's body. When he can't hide it anymore he has a fallout with his ladies man father and leaves home. Now what?
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

AnnMarie2017

Quote from: Steph Eigen on September 21, 2016, 09:56:57 AM
Zardoz.  It is a little known futuristic dystopian film starring Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling from the 70's shot in beautiful rural Scotland.  It's one of my favorite movies.  Few people know of it but it does have a cult following.  You can buy it on Amazon in DVD format.

Also, anything by Stanley Kubrick.  2001: A Space Odyssey and Dr. Stangelove are my absolute favorites.

Something that touches a theme of struggle with the world and its often unfair treatment of those who are different.  Werner Herzog made a number of films that I like.   My favorite, commonly known as "Enigma of Kaspar Hauser" but actual title in German, Jeder für sich und Gott gegen alle; lit. Each for Himself and God Against All. It is a very beautiful film set in the 19th century depicting the attempted socialization of a wild child starting in his mid 20's and all the comedy and eventual horrors that follow. 

Earth vs. the Flying Scaucers, The Day the Earth Stood Still; SciFi classics from the 50's.

Older films:  Casa Blanca,  The Big Sleep and almost anything else featuring Bogie.

And lots more...

I like your taste in films, Steph. I grew up in a family that was movie-crazy; we've all got the bug.

I can't answer the question posed without a *lot* of thought. I've been collecting films on DVD for about 16 years or so, and had a VHS collection before that. My library is subdivided by genre, and I've got a shelf for classic sci-fi. I like Kubrick, too; but I saw "A Clockwork Orange" when I shouldn't have -- too young -- and was deeply disturbed by it. I can't watch it again. I tried a few years ago and ended up turning it off. The home invasion scene turns my stomach.

As an interesting side note: I was mesmerized by lesbian film -- the real thing, not the stuff made for men -- since first seeing John Sayles' "Lianna" (1983) in the early 1990s. Lesbian films affected me deeply in a way I did not understand. Now that I've come out to myself as a gay trans girl, the reason's obvious.
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Another one I really liked was The life and loves of a she devil. Not that stupid cheesy she devil movie  they made here in the USA. Life and loves of a she devil is a British mini series. One reason I liked it was because it has kind of a trans undercurrent. The main character, Ruth, is a CIS woman but she's 6 feet tall, big, ugly and masculine looking. Her husband treats her like crap and leaves her for a smaller prettier woman. So she goes on this years long journey of surgery to make her look smaller and prettier. She even had surgery on her arms and legs to make her shorter. It was an awesome series. I don't know how old it is. I ran across it like 2 years ago.
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

Drexy/Drex

Hmmm  john carpenters first film dark star low budget but shows his obvious talent ...quite entertaining
Everything
  Louder
   Than
Everything
    Else
  •  

Sonja

Red Sonja - obviously!

But I also love many many others, including Blade Runner - Rachel was the only other name that came close to my choosing. I love her character & her name, and I think she's gorgeous.

Sonja.
  •  

AnnMarie2017

Quote from: Sonja on March 09, 2018, 05:12:49 PM
Red Sonja - obviously!

Brytag: "I will tell the future in your entrails, Red Woman!"

Red Sonja: "I know my future. You have none."

:D
  •  

Cassi

HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Julia1996

Quote from: Cassi on March 09, 2018, 11:37:13 PM
Xena, Xena, Xena!!!!!

I've seen that. I also saw those old hercules shows. I liked hercules better. The guy who played hercules was cute and had a nice body. I will watch stuff that's less than Oscar material if it has hot guys in it. Magic mike was an awful movie but I've seen it 3 times. Lol
Julia

Born 1998
Started hrt 2015
SRS done 5/21/2018
  •  

AnnMarie2017

Quote from: Cassi on March 09, 2018, 11:37:13 PM
Xena, Xena, Xena!!!!!

Gabrielle, Gabrielle, Gabrielle!

XENA AND GABRIELLE! XENA AND GABRIELLE! XENA AND GABRIELLE!  :D
  •  

ChrissyRyan

A fun movie you might consider watching is this 1993 film starring Corey Haim,

Just One of the Girls.
Always stay cheerful, be polite, kind, and understanding. Accepting yourself as the woman you are is very liberating.
Never underestimate the appreciation and respect of authenticity.  Be brave, be strong.  Try a little kindness.  I am a brown eyed brunette. 
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Julia1996 on March 10, 2018, 07:37:05 AM
I've seen that. I also saw those old hercules shows. I liked hercules better. The guy who played hercules was cute and had a nice body. I will watch stuff that's less than Oscar material if it has hot guys in it. Magic mike was an awful movie but I've seen it 3 times. Lol

Kevin Sorbo
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Nectar_Plexus

I'm real big into "cult" sorts of movies. Here's a handful of favorites:

Angel's Egg
Dead Ringers
The Sweet Hereafter
The Cremator
Happiness (1998)
Lovely and Amazing
The Holy Mountain
Cat Soup (2001)
A Snake of June
Parents (1989)
Show Me Love
Le Manifique (The Man From Acapulco)
Colossal
Never Let Me Go
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Nectar_Plexus on March 19, 2018, 07:12:16 AM

Angel's Egg
Dead Ringers
The Sweet Hereafter
The Cremator
Happiness (1998)
Lovely and Amazing
The Holy Mountain
Cat Soup (2001)
A Snake of June
Parents (1989)
Show Me Love
Colossal
Never Let Me Go

Cool -but have never heard of any of them.

The Puppet Master series is pretty good.
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Ann W on January 03, 2018, 02:34:16 AM
I like your taste in films, Steph. I grew up in a family that was movie-crazy; we've all got the bug.

I can't answer the question posed without a *lot* of thought. I've been collecting films on DVD for about 16 years or so, and had a VHS collection before that. My library is subdivided by genre, and I've got a shelf for classic sci-fi. I like Kubrick, too; but I saw "A Clockwork Orange" when I shouldn't have -- too young -- and was deeply disturbed by it. I can't watch it again. I tried a few years ago and ended up turning it off. The home invasion scene turns my stomach.

As an interesting side note: I was mesmerized by lesbian film -- the real thing, not the stuff made for men -- since first seeing John Sayles' "Lianna" (1983) in the early 1990s. Lesbian films affected me deeply in a way I did not understand. Now that I've come out to myself as a gay trans girl, the reason's obvious.

Cool!
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Ann W

Quote from: Nectar_Plexus on March 19, 2018, 07:12:16 AM

Angel's Egg
Dead Ringers
The Sweet Hereafter
The Cremator
Happiness (1998)
Lovely and Amazing
The Holy Mountain
Cat Soup (2001)
A Snake of June
Parents (1989)
Show Me Love
Colossal
Never Let Me Go

There are two on this list that I own on DVD. "Parents" is disgusting; I must have been in a really perverse mood when I picked it up. "Show Me Love" aka "F***ing Amal" is a beautiful film that touched my heart.

"Dead Ringers" sounds familiar; but I'm sure I've never seen it. I've never even heard of the others. Wow.
  •  

Nectar_Plexus

A lot of the ones I listed are purposely obscure. I just took it from an old list I'd made of underrated/underseen gems. Dead Ringers is my favorite David Cronenberg movie, but I like just about all of his stuff quite a bit. I love body horror.
  •  

Cassi

Quote from: Nectar_Plexus on March 19, 2018, 05:20:03 PM
A lot of the ones I listed are purposely obscure. I just took it from an old list I'd made of underrated/underseen gems. Dead Ringers is my favorite David Cronenberg movie, but I like just about all of his stuff quite a bit. I love body horror.

Bloody Humor - isn't that a british thang?
HRT since 1/04/2018
  •  

Kylo

Performance - what a strange film. Reminds me of the house of some people my parents knew. A bunch of very odd hippies. I remember trying fly argaric tea with such people once myself, but like most drugs it had a minimal effect on me... 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Kylo

Withnail and I.

Good god, it's a bit too close to home these days. I see unpleasant amounts of myself in it. I need to get my act together.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •