Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Orchidechtomy (Castration).

Started by JMJW, December 01, 2016, 03:06:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMJW

Does anyone know if the UK's NHS  offers this as an alternative to SRS?

I don't want SRS ever but I would want this. ???
  •  

Floritine

Quote from: JMJW on December 01, 2016, 03:06:09 PM
Does anyone know if the UK's NHS  offers this as an alternative to SRS?

I don't want SRS ever but I would want this. ???

Im Aus but it may apply to your NHS,
My gp did some reseach for me on urologists in our public health system and there was at least a 8+ month wait to just get a appointment with one of the public docs and after some more chatting he refered me to a good one he knew in the private health system,
When I saw the private doc at his practice I asked a bunch of questions and also asked if I could get it in a public hospital and he said yes it can be done as he also works in the public hospital as well,
Well after I got my psych letter that is required and also one from my endo I saw him again and with in a few weeks I had surgery in the public health system ( as he put a high priority on my surgery referal form ) But that my differ depending what the doc writes on the hospital forms......
So that may be a option chat to your gp and see what he / she says if you can see a private doc that does surgery in the public system, I only had to pay for a couple of visits to the private docs practice witch I was able to clam part of his fees back, but the surgery and stay in the public  hospital was free as medicare paid for it..

Cheers Tracy
  •  

R R H

Hi JMJW,

I had an orchie out in Thailand last July and it's a great option. It ends your T almost instantly and means you can reduce your E intake a little too, depending on your physician's guidance.

Re. your question, in theory as it's a lesser form of genital reassignment surgery you could get it agreed under the NHS. The problem will be how your GiC interpret the Real Life Experience that relates to this approach. In other words: can you demonstrate you are gender transitioning to female but don't want or need a vagina? That will be an area they will push you on if they are to recommend funding through the NHS.
  •  

JMJW

If I go on HRT I don't want to be on spironolactone for the rest of my life. Because I think that would land me in hospital or kill me at some point. I get dehydrated now, much less if I were to take that. I get mouth ulcers and my cornea has ripped twice from dry eyes.
  •  

R R H

Yep I'm with you there honey. Here's a thread I began some time ago, singing the praises of orchiectomies over anti androgens.

https://www.susans.org/forums/index.php?topic=213357.new;topicseen#new

x
  •  

josie76

I'm of the same thought. I have private insurance here in the US. The problem is the insurance company rules are that you need 1year full life experience just like for GCS to get the ochidectomy covered. There is a loophole that if a doctor will write a letter explaining the medical need for it then it might be covered.

I'm hoping to talk to the endocrinologist about that option when I can get in to see him. I have found a urologist who can do the procedure as in office outpatient.
04/26/2018 bi-lateral orchiectomy

A lifetime of depression and repressed emotions is nothing more than existence. I for one want to live now not just exist!

•