Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Narcissistic personality disorder & gender identity disorder

Started by 2cherry, December 02, 2016, 09:30:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2cherry

Let's ask difficult questions!  ;)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4301205/

Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2014; 28: 90.
Published online 2014 Sep 10.

Results: The frequency of personality disorders was 81.4%. The most frequent personality disorder was narcissistic personality disorder (57.1%)

QuoteBackground: Co-morbid psychiatric disorders affect prognosis, psychosocial adjustment and post-surgery satisfaction in patients with gender identity disorder. In this paper, we assessed the frequency of personality disorders in Iranian GID patients.

Methods: Seventy- three patients requesting sex reassignment surgery (SRS) were recruited for this crosssectional study. Of the participants, 57.5% were biologically male and 42.5% were biologically female. They were assessed through the Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory II (MCMI- II).

Results: The frequency of personality disorders was 81.4%. The most frequent personality disorder was narcissistic personality disorder (57.1%) and the least was borderline personality disorder. The average number of diagnoses was 3.00 per patient.

Conclusion: The findings of this study revealed that the prevalence of personality disorders was higher among the participants, and the most frequent personality disorder was narcissistic personality disorder (57.1%), and borderline personality disorder was less common among the studied patients.

Keywords: Personality disorder, Gender identity disorder

1977: Born.
2009: HRT
2012: RLE
2014: SRS
2016: FFS
2017: rejoicing

focus on the positive, focus on solutions.
  •  

Paige

I would guess the sample they used would be highly biased.  The conditions in Iran are just too weird to draw world wide conclusions.  What would it take for someone to go through this in Iran?  I would guess most would be scared to death to reveal to the government that they wanted GRS.
  •  

AnonyMs

Iran has the death penalty for being gay and apparently a lot of trans people are not trans, they just don't want to die. That's got to mess up any studies.
  •  

Gwen Rhydderch

A few years back, I was helping with a transgender support group. The findings you cite seem somewhat consistent with what I have witnessed in my own limited experience.

I saw NPD symptoms more prevalent in MtFs. So much so, that I had to eventually  step away for my own sanity and peace of mind.  However, I did also see a lot of Borderline symptoms among FtMs.
  •  

Michelle_P

Yeah, I can see this.  Heck, I HAVE seen it.  It seems to go along with the 'coming out' experience.

The exaggerated sense of self-importance, the whole "look at ME" thing are the symptoms I think I've seen the most often.  I think I've probably slipped into doing this more than once, but honest, I do try to avoid doing this!

Like Gwen, I think I've seen the NPD behavior primarily in support groups.  I wonder if this is tied into the more outrageous wardrobe and makeup choices that get made by some folks there?
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Deborah

The wardrobe thing seems to fit with one symptom below.  To have NPD one needs to exhibit most or all of the symptoms.

According to the DSM-5, individuals with NPD have most or all of the following symptoms, typically without commensurate qualities or accomplishments:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others

Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.

Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions

Needing constant admiration from others

Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others

Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain

Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs

Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them

Pompous and arrogant demeanor

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

2cherry

Personally speaking, I do have symptoms of borderline. I have been semi-diagnosed with it. I think it came with the GID. Also, I do have a slight narcissistic approach in my thinking. But maybe that is a defense strategy? If you're being told you're worthless, a man, a >-bleeped-< and what not... your whole life, something has to give... I think the narcissistic aspect can be a method to cope with it? But I am not sure...

1977: Born.
2009: HRT
2012: RLE
2014: SRS
2016: FFS
2017: rejoicing

focus on the positive, focus on solutions.
  •  

Paige

Quote from: Deborah on December 02, 2016, 04:41:28 PM
The wardrobe thing seems to fit with one symptom below.  To have NPD one needs to exhibit most or all of the symptoms.

According to the DSM-5, individuals with NPD have most or all of the following symptoms, typically without commensurate qualities or accomplishments:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from others

Fixated on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.

Self-perception of being unique, superior and associated with high-status people and institutions

Needing constant admiration from others

Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others

Exploitative of others to achieve personal gain

Unwilling to empathize with others' feelings, wishes, or needs

Intensely envious of others and the belief that others are equally envious of them

Pompous and arrogant demeanor

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves

I look at this list and it doesn't match the people on Susans.  Most are very kind and giving.  Sure we have some obsession with appearance but I think this would parallel teen girls in puberty.  The pompous, arrogant, lack of empathy, exploitativeness doesn't match the transgender people I have come in contact with.

I know a few narcissists.  These are nasty people.   They wouldn't worry about hurting family and friends by transitioning.  It's all about them.  Look at the number of trans-people who have for years not helped themselves because they were worried how it would affect others.  If we were all narcissists, I don't think being transgender would be much of a struggle.  I think it's a struggle because there's so much empathy in this community.

No I don't think you can state that we're more liking to be narcissists.
Paige :)
  •  

DuchessBianca

Wow I look at that list and I don't even see a single item I could even come close to.
I:

Don't want to be treated superior.

Couldn't care less about power, success etc...

I don't feel superior to anyone.

Couldn't care less about others admiring me, I am lonely a lot and wish I had more friends/people to talk to/spend time with but that's hardly similar to wanting admiration.

Don't care about special treatment, being treated as any female human being is all that matters to me.

Complete opposite pretty much all I've done my entire life is empathize with others/try and help them, a lot of my personal happiness comes from knowing I helped make others happy.

Sure I get pretty jealous of many women because I wish I was "pretty" like them or able to have the experiences they have/had but I've never thought/cared if/what others are envious of me.

HAHAHAHAHA I'm one of the most timid, shy, considerate, polite girls out there, and pretty much always put the needs of my friends first even if it means I have to sacrifice something for myself in the process. I don't think there's a single drop of  arrogance in my entire body.
  •  

DemonRaven

I know we are not suppose to diagnose from a distance blah blah but the hallmark of NPD is that they won't seek help and they do cause problems for others. Along the previously described symptoms done  by Paige.
  •  

SophieD

I think I'll remain very skeptical of this study and its conclusions, absent corroboration.
  •  

MeTony

I am skeptic. I have done a screening for personality disorders. I have none. I do have ADHD and tourette's though. But they are not personality disorders.
  •  

Dee Marshall

When I had to stop therapy due to a loss of insurance, (I was doing it for the letters and to help deal with the stress of transition), my therapist told me that I was one of the most well adjusted people she had ever known. I had PTSD, suppose I still do, but it is, and was, very limited.

I've been in mental health for quite some time, and my experience is that mental diagnoses are often a matter of opinion. Frequently the diagnosis comes because the professional expects it. One of my professors used to say that most mental illness is an exaggeration of normal behavior. Exactly where the border between normal and ill lies is extremely subjective.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

DemonRaven

My post was off base because i did not read the article cited and assumed it was in regards to a certain world leader.
  •