Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Anger begets more anger.

Started by 2cherry, December 12, 2016, 12:27:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2cherry

How often do we hear the advice: let off some steam, be angry, punch a pillow, scream, etc... when you are feeling angry. But does the catharsis theory hold? according to this research, it does not. Anger begets more anger. Which is interesting and makes a lot of sense: we become what we think and how we act.

Paper: https://illinois.edu/lb/files/2009/03/26/9293.pdf

By Brad J. Bushman Iowa State University

QuoteCatharsis theory predicts that venting anger should get rid of it and should therefore reduce subsequent aggression. The present findings, as well as previous findings, directly contradict catharsis theory (e.g., Bushman et al., 1999; Geen & Quanty, 1977). For reducing anger and aggression, the worst possible advice to
give people is to tell them to imagine their provocateur's face on a pillow or punching bag as they wallop it, yet this
is precisely what many pop psychologists advise people to do. If followed, such advice will only make people angrier and more aggressive.

Plus some a popular news article about it:

QuoteHow anger changes the BRAIN: Aggression causes new nerve cells to grow which can trigger even more rage in the future

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3433491/How-anger-changes-BRAIN-Aggression-causes-new-nerve-cells-grow-trigger-rage-future.html

By Sarah Griffiths for MailOnline
Published: 08:47 EST, 5 February 2016 | Updated: 10:16 EST, 5 February 2016

Pretty much proves to me that we literally can change who we are by modifying our own behavior.

1977: Born.
2009: HRT
2012: RLE
2014: SRS
2016: FFS
2017: rejoicing

focus on the positive, focus on solutions.
  •  

Kylo

I believe it... this has happened to me.  ;)
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Fresas con Nata

There's this known advice that you should smile because somehow doing it makes you feel better, therefore causes you to smile more in the long term. Maybe it's the same thing, only backwards?
  •