Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Starting Out on HRT late in life

Started by 706Phoenix, December 28, 2016, 07:31:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

706Phoenix

For most of my life I have been unhappy about myself and always felt I should be a woman. Now late in life I am taking the steps to change. I feel it is some what daunting but a road I must travel . I have found a Doctor who will help me and in January I will start HRT which I am very excited about but hesitant. As an older person you always look for the problems. My Doctor is starting me on Evorel patch  and Finasteride tablets I know what the down side of these can be but would like to know if any of you are using these and if you have suffered any adverse side effects. I know we are all different but would like to know anyway. My mind is made up I am starting no matter what as I can not continue to live as I am
  •  

Deborah

I am not on those particular meds , taking pills and spironolactone instead.  I'm not sure how old you are but I'm 57.

Emotionally there have been zero negative effects.  Health wise I have not had any bad effects either and after two years remain in near perfect health, far better than the vast majority of other people my age that I know.  I don't take meds for anything else.

The only downside, and it was a worthwhile trade off, is mostly due to a dramatic lowering of T.  I have had some decline in my body's ability to absorb exercise (running) and improve.  I used to be able to essentially beat my body into submission and it would get into pretty good shape quickly.  That doesn't work anymore and I have to take a more reasoned approach to exercise. 

It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.
André Gide, Autumn Leaves
Love is not obedience, conformity, or submission. It is a counterfeit love that is contingent upon authority, punishment, or reward. True love is respect and admiration, compassion and kindness, freely given by a healthy, unafraid human being....  - Dan Barker

U.S. Army Retired
  •  

Violets

I'm 49 and am not taking those meds either, but I haven't had any negative effects from spironolactone and estradiol taken orally. The only negative effect I can think of is that I now have to take a biotin supplement because my fingernails were starting to soften and split/flake easily. In the big scheme of things, I'm not complaining! :)

•  

Yuusui

I am 53 and only on estrogen patch right now, but I feel great. Better than I ever thought possible.

HappyMoni

I am 59. I am on Estrodial, Spiro, and low dose Progesterone. Moods change as you adjust to the doses. You should increase dosage gradually to prevent problems. The only thing that was disconcerting for me was the progesterone which I started only this summer. It made me bitchy. Even that is leveling out. I have been on HRT for 18 months with no significant issues. Good luck, Phoenix!
Monica
Oh I did Finesteride for prostate but the spiro did such a good job, I got off of it. No problems there either.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •  

KayXo

In general, bio-identical estradiol especially non-orally, which you are taking, appears to have few side-effects and many benefits in women (cis or trans and even men who take high doses for prostate cancer), based on studies. One study even found a high dose of patches appeared to protect against the risk of thrombosis and seemed to improve cardiovascular (lipid) markers in men aged 49-91 yrs old. So this is promising indeed. Breast cancer is rare in transwomen and does not appear to increase due to HRT in our population, also promising. Exclusive use of bio-identical estradiol has also never been associated with the onset of a prolactinoma in transwomen, a rare benign tumor of the pituitary gland, reported (perhaps under-reported) only 8 times in the literature, often with the use of an anti-androgen called cyproterone acetate, not FDA approved.

Finasteride can apparently have adverse effects on mood (depression, anxiety) in a few people although personally, I don't think I had any such symptoms when taking it and I have personally never come across any that did. Still, the risk remains, even after discontinuation, it appears. Other side-effects include sexual dysfunction such as erectile problem, ejaculation but these are expected and even desired for us. Another is osteoporosis but estrogen usually prevents this. It was also found finasteride could lead to a reduced incidence of prostate cancer but a higher proportion of high grade prostate cancer.

Note that this anti-androgen only reduces DHT (dihydrotestosterone) levels, unlike other anti-androgens which have a wider and more potent action (blocks and/or reduces androgen). BUT, estrogen also reduces testicular production of androgens and limits its action also by increasing SHBG levels and having certain intracellular effects whereby tissues may become less sensitive to the actions of androgens.

I'm not a doctor though and I am just reporting what I read in the literature. Your doctor should be able to inform you in more depth and as long as you are in good hands, I don't think you should be concerned.

Have a great time being YOU! Best of luck. :)
I am not a medical doctor, nor a scientist - opinions expressed by me on the subject of HRT are merely based on my own review of some of the scientific literature over the last decade or so, on anecdotal evidence from women in various discussion forums that I have come across, and my personal experience

On HRT since early 2004
Post-op since late 2005
  •  

Denise

The side effects of HRT for me are all good.  Spiro reduced my anger and estradiol valerate (injections) is giving me the breasts I've wanted for 50 years.

The mental changes are tough to describe but fantastic.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

1st Person out: 16-Oct-2015
Restarted Spironolactone 26-Aug-2016
Restarted Estradiol Valerate: 02-Nov-2016
Full time: 02-Mar-2017
Breast Augmentation (Schechter): 31-Oct-2017
FFS (Walton in Chicago): 25-Sep-2018
Vaginoplasty (Schechter): 13-Dec-2018

A haiku in honor of my grandmother who loved them.

The Voices are Gone
Living Life to the Fullest
I am just Denise
  •  

DawnOday

Quote from: 706Phoenix on December 28, 2016, 07:31:52 AM
For most of my life I have been unhappy about myself and always felt I should be a woman. Now late in life I am taking the steps to change. I feel it is some what daunting but a road I must travel . I have found a Doctor who will help me and in January I will start HRT which I am very excited about but hesitant. As an older person you always look for the problems. My Doctor is starting me on Evorel patch  and Finasteride tablets I know what the down side of these can be but would like to know if any of you are using these and if you have suffered any adverse side effects. I know we are all different but would like to know anyway. My mind is made up I am starting no matter what as I can not continue to live as I am
I am 65 and just started HRT myself 4 1/2 months ago.  I am on estradiol sublingually because I am susceptible to clots. I have read that the patches have some difficulty staying in place. I would suppose if you prepare the area with a alcohol wipe it might help. Don't know if that works for the patches, but I know my prosthetic breasts work better when I give my skin a wipe down before applying the double sided tape. Now that I am on estradiol I don't need the fakes anymore. I hope you have as much satisfaction with your transition as I am having with mine. Just revealing my lifelong secret has given me such peace of mind. I just wish I did so much, much earlier.

Dawn
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

AshleyP

I'm in my 60's and just started HRT about a month ago. I can't comment on your prescriptions, though, as I'm taking pills and spiro. Like Dawn, I'm also susceptible to clotting and have been on anti-coagulants for several years. I too, was cautious and consulted with several doctors and researched as well as I could before deciding to make the request.

All the best,
--AshleyP

•  

Anne Blake

68 years old and on estradiol and spiro for 6 months. The physical stuff has been good and the emotional/psychological stuff, better. The emotional rollercoaster ride has challenged me at times but I would not give it up for anything. - Anne
  •  

karenpayneoregon

When making the decision to transition I was 58, made an appointment with Marci Bowers for surgery one year out, started estradiol and spiro, completed surgeries and now on estradiol pills.

As I see it, if you are healthy enough for the surgery and been vetted by therapist there is no reason at any suitable age you can't begin the process to transition.

If you did go down this path know full well there are risk involved with estradiol and spiro and that keeping a healthy life style is paramount.

Best wishes on your decisions.
When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be."
-Julia Glass, Three Junes

GCS 2015, age 58
  •  

Daria67

I am 49 and have been on HRT since September. The most dramatic change is that I am FAR more emotional than I have been since childhood, which has been a challenge, as i had 'shut off' my sensitive side in my teen years as a survival mechanism. I cry every day and to be able to express myself this way is an enormous relief. Other effects are not quite as dramatic; for example, my skin is becoming softer and far more sensitive and my physical strength is lessening by the day, which I'm OK with as I was never particularly strong to begin with. The slight breast development is simply magical.
"Around here we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

"I am not changing who I am. I am becoming who I am."
  •  

706Phoenix

Thank you all for your comments which I find most helpful. My mind was made up long ago to start HRT and your response has only made me more sure of my actions. The road is there for me to travel and I will go down it knowing others have also and happy with the journey.

•