Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

"Sex Redefined" from Nature News and Comment

Started by MissGendered, January 26, 2017, 10:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissGendered

"So if the law requires that a person is male or female, should that sex be assigned by anatomy, hormones, cells or chromosomes, and what should be done if they clash? "My feeling is that since there is not one biological parameter that takes over every other parameter, at the end of the day, gender identity seems to be the most reasonable parameter," says Vilain. In other words, if you want to know whether someone is male or female, it may be best just to ask."

http://www.nature.com/news/sex-redefined-1.16943

This is a VERY informative article on gender, biological sex, and intersex conditions beyond chromosomes...

Enjoy!

Missy
  •  

Lady Sarah

Society is quite primitive when thinking about such issues. This goes to the extent of "intersex testing" to determine the makeup of an individual. While this can be done, it comes down to it just being your own personal information that a great many physicians find irrelevant. This can be quite disheartening.

I find it comical that the article stated that the US is so resistant to accepting the facts, as I live here, and find it to be way too accurate. Perhaps society may come to realize all this in another century or two. This is not a pessimistic viewpoint, just a realistic one.
started HRT: July 13, 1991
orchi: December 23, 1994
trach shave: November, 1998
married: August 16, 2015
Back surgery: October 20, 2016
  •  

MissGendered

Quote from: Lady Sarah on January 27, 2017, 10:49:08 PM
Society is quite primitive when thinking about such issues. This goes to the extent of "intersex testing" to determine the makeup of an individual. While this can be done, it comes down to it just being your own personal information that a great many physicians find irrelevant. This can be quite disheartening.

I find it comical that the article stated that the US is so resistant to accepting the facts, as I live here, and find it to be way too accurate. Perhaps society may come to realize all this in another century or two. This is not a pessimistic viewpoint, just a realistic one.

It is so hard to know when any particular unwelcome reality will lose its stigma, and then become part of a cultural awakening. I am of the mind that once the bulk of 20th Century mouthpieces have been laid to rest, and that won't take but 20, or 30, or so, more years, the children of the 21st Century will sweep away the debris of willful ignorance that prevailed in the past century. I trust young people implicitly and explicitly to know truth over falsehood. The ignorance of the 19th Century was swept away much as the 20th Century unfolded, in like fashion..

I was raised amidst the harsh societal realities of the last century, and if I let them, those realities could continue to paint an imagined future as black as the past. But I try to make the conscious choice, over and over again, to let that crud go, and to remember that my past programming was just that, programming. We can all unlearn as well as learn.

But the bigger picture is beyond my control, so I try to focus on the local level, and try to participate in change where ever it seems possible, even if only on a scale as small as an online forum..

Missy
  •