Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Refuge Restroom app

Started by Lunacorn, February 02, 2017, 11:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunacorn

its a great app that lets you map out trans* safe bathrooms with a full map and lets people update it as a community.  definitly grab it as its free and everyone who uses it benefits from your additions.

Super good when traveling , road trips, etc

Again app is called Refuge Restroom
Lunacorns are adorable

Pronouns: she / they

--Admin ATTN--
Agender is not avail nor is NB in gender list under profile settings
  •  

Dee Marshall

I second. Even if you don't feel the need help a sister or brother out. Download the app and log safe locations as you go thru your day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Nina_Ottawa

Forgive me for being a negative nelly, but don't you think publicly showing where a trans safe bathroom is, that it lets...ummmm...people who are anti trans know where trans people are?
  •  

KathyLauren

Quote from: Nina_Ottawa on February 03, 2017, 08:07:16 AM
Forgive me for being a negative nelly, but don't you think publicly showing where a trans safe bathroom is, that it lets...ummmm...people who are anti trans know where trans people are?
Probably not.  We are only less than 1% of the population, so 99% of the time there won't be a trans person in there.  Even haters have better things to do than hanging around bathrooms waiting for a random trans person to show up.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •  

Devlyn

Where I live businesses put pride flags out front, it lets people know they're LGBTIQ friendly, and that's about it. And you know, people who hate people of colour don't need an app to find their targets. I think you're raising a false flag on this one.  :)

Quote from: KathyLauren on February 03, 2017, 09:00:09 AM

Probably not.  We are only less than 1% of the population, so 99% of the time there won't be a trans person in there.  Even haters have better things to do than hanging around bathrooms waiting for a random trans person to show up.

Not to quibble, but the latest reports are between 3.5 - 5% of the population. We're on the rise!

Hugs, Devlyn
  •  

Nina_Ottawa

My intention wasn't to raise alarms, and I don't know what motivates others.
What I do know, less information about where I go the better.
  •  

Dee Marshall

Quote from: Nina_Ottawa on February 03, 2017, 09:27:47 AM
My intention wasn't to raise alarms, and I don't know what motivates others.
What I do know, less information about where I go the better.
I certainly understand your fear. Perhaps, then, you should install the app so you can see locations others have reported and avoid them. You needn't report the ones you do use. It's entirely voluntary.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Lunacorn

this imho would make it not a trans safe bathroom
Lunacorns are adorable

--Admin ATTN--
  •  

Nina_Ottawa

Quote from: Dee Marshall on February 03, 2017, 10:43:53 AM
I certainly understand your fear. Perhaps, then, you should install the app so you can see locations others have reported and avoid them. You needn't report the ones you do use. It's entirely voluntary.

I have zero fear. Zip. Nada. Zilch.
I'm fortunate to live in a city that is totally safe that needing safe bathrooms isn't needed.
  •  

Michelle_P

I normally don't worry about it, living in the SF Bay Area in California.  About the only time to be really concerned here is, oddly enough, around big trans events like TransMarch.  That seems to bring out some ugly people.  After the last march, the restrooms in the mall by where the march ended had clusters of men standing outside the women's room.  Maybe they were all waiting for their spouses, but they sure didn't look like the marrying type...

There have been some 'hunting' incidents, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath and fire my spirit.

My personal transition path included medical changes.  The path others take may require no medical intervention, or different care.  We each find our own path. I provide these dates for the curious.
Electrolysis - Hours in The Chair: 238 (8.5 were preparing for GCS, five clearings); On estradiol patch June 2016; Full-time Oct 22, 2016; GCS Oct 20, 2017; FFS Aug 28, 2018; Stage 2 labiaplasty revision and BA Feb 26, 2019
Michelle's personal blog and biography
  •  

Angela Drakken

At the AFI concert on wednesday night two neckbearded drunks with facial tattoos tried to force their way into the womens room. Real meth-head types. I was waiting outside for my partner when the security guard caught and chastised them whereupon they claimed to be 'transgendered.' (They werent fooling anybody, and I was pretty furious about it because goofs like that are the reason we have so many problems..)

On a personal note; I generally have no fears about the bathrooms. Someone giving me a hard time is going to find their head in a toilet bowl right quick.
  •  

Lunacorn

Quote from: Angela Drakken on February 03, 2017, 11:24:34 AMOn a personal note; I generally have no fears about the bathrooms. Someone giving me a hard time is going to find their head in a toilet bowl right quick.

<3
Lunacorns are adorable

--Admin ATTN--
  •  

MissGendered

I grew up in a time when businesses would put a sign in their windows of stick figured children, which denoted it was a 'safe space' for kids to duck into if they were being targeted or victimized in some way. It was a time when child abductions and pedophilia were all over the news. The fact is that nearly 2000 children go missing every day in the US to this day. Where is the app for them?

Now, here in 2017, we have trans violence all over LGBT news sources, and heavy trans-exposre on major media outlets 24/7, yet even though this year had an all-time high murder rate of 21 trans lives lost, it is clear not all of these deaths are due to them being trans.

There is a HUGE disconnect in the community about actual risk and perceived risk.

Our fears are magnified by what we feel inside us. We become more noticeable when we project our fears into the world at large.

I can't say who should do what, or when, or why...

But I can say, I refuse to live like a refugee. I am a woman, I will use the woman's restroom, and I will not hesitate. I am well over 6 feet tall. I am bony faced. I am aware that trans-spotters are everywhere, but so what? There are laws that protect everybody from harassment and violence. Couple those with confidence and common sense, and see how one's world view and daily comfort level change.

In the theater world, they say 'fear is the mind killer', and I agree. Once I had enough proper trauma therapy, I didn't give a hoot about what anybody thought about anything I did in public. I am a citizen. I have a right to be here that is no less than any other citizens' rights.

Walk proud. Own your truth. Do not let them see you sweat.

When I was still in the 'neither fish nor foul' stage, I had stopped at a rest area in Tennessee, smack dab in the middle of the bible belt. I was washing up after peeing, sitting down, through my penis, in a stall, just like all the other women in there. It was a busy weekend day. The woman next to me at the sink says "Gol-leee, you sure are tall, how tall are you?" in a loud, caustic voice. I looked down on her and said softly, but clearly, and without hesitation "Oh, thank you! I am a wee bit over 6 foot..". She laughed, relaxed, and said "yeah, just a wee bit", and smiled. I had put her at ease, and the situation de-escalated.

How we are, how we feel about ourselves, can be far more powerful than our fears, their fears, or anything else beyond our control.

I know there are some in the community that face an uphill battle with fear, acceptance, and a non-binary presentation. I don't know anything but what I went through when I wasn't 'passing', but what I learned, for me, was that by being comfortable within my own skin, I projected a comfortable presence and was never truly made to feel afraid nor unwelcome anywhere.

Statistically, our fears are exaggerated.

There should be at least some comfort in the facts.

Missy
  •  

Lunacorn

The awesome thing is that the app is for anyone.  I dont stress fear or discomfort using a restroom its a totally lgbtq safe area ... i still use the app and record bathrooms cause others might benefit.  Much happier letting those with concern for any reason have access to places I know are super cool.  I also use it to peg queer establishments in notes so people know where to find other community members and gain social outlets as well  if its a queer run establishment a whole lot more connection is found that just a place to pee
Lunacorns are adorable

--Admin ATTN--
  •  

Nina_Ottawa

If I owned a business like a bar, restaurant etc, I'd totally put my business down as creating a safe place.
  •  

HappyMoni

With my job I am routinely visiting a high school for "typical" students. I notice many rooms have stickers on the doors stating it is an LGBTQ safe zone/room.
If I ever offend you, let me know. It's not what I am about.
"Never let the dark kill your light!"  (SailorMars)

HRT June 11, 2015. (new birthday) - FFS in late June 2016. (Dr. _____=Ugh!) - Full time June 18, 2016 (Yeah! finally) - GCS June 27, 2017. (McGinn=Yeah!) - Under Eye repair from FFS 8/17/17 - Nose surgery-November 20, 2017 (Dr. Papel=Yeah) - Hair Transplant on June 21, 2018 (Dr. Cooley-yeah) - Breast Augmentation on July 10, 2018 (Dr. Basner in Baltimore) - Removed bad scarring from FFS surgery near ears and hairline in August, 2018 (Dr. Papel) -Sept. 2018, starting a skin regiment on face with Retin A  April 2019 -repairing neck scar from FFS

]
  •